Launch day! Weebles, 1970 Willard 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't even think to consider it, mostly because I didn't think to consider it. For some reason, it just doesn't seem like the right material for a Willard even though it was an option for the cockpit area.

Peter

Probably not the best if you are trying to keep the Willard "authentic". I had some installed in my Mainship Pilot and love it. It not only enhances the appearance but is more functional than standard non-skid. I started a new thread on the subject if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Inspirational! Congratulations on the amazing outcome. Hope to see more pics.

I agree with the decision to avoid Baja Naval. I am glad you found such a good alternative.

Granted it has been close to 20 years since I had a refit done there, but I still wouldn't return.
Even though I made sure to visit every two weeks or so, they failed to correct many
problems my boat had and covered up poor work with panelling and excuses. Sigh.

Great job, Peter.

The new hardtop enhances the beautiful curves of the Willard's stern so much better.
Well done!

Updated picture from today. First picture that shows proportion of hardtop to rest of boat. Sigh of relief. I have to say, getting proportions and scale correct on a boat this size was a concern for me. Too many boats look like they are wearing a hat that's 5 sizes too big. Screenshot_20210107-203657__01.jpeg

Peter,
We have been talking and toying with the idea of buying a late 70's 42 or 46 GB and do the resto mod you described above. Many kudos to what you have accomplished and you now have me searching yachtworld!!! Weebles looks fantastic and I hope you can sit back and appreciate all the time and $$$ you have put into it.

-Rich

Peter you have a great understanding of what it takes to spec a boat and see it done right. It shows in the beautiful and fully functional outcome. There’s a saying in medicine “see one, do one and teach one if you want to know a task”. Similarly a new build or resto-mod does give you a deeper understanding but more importantly a deeper connection to your boat. Of interest my bride and true companion has the same name. Now get out there and have too much fun.

Peter,
We have been talking and toying with the idea of buying a late 70's 42 or 46 GB and do the resto mod you described above. Many kudos to what you have accomplished and you now have me searching yachtworld!!! Weebles looks fantastic and I hope you can sit back and appreciate all the time and $$$ you have put into it.

-Rich
Thanks for noticing Rich. It's been a lot of fun figuring out exactly what I wanted in a boat. Some of it is 100% personal. I've attached a picture of the backplane for my electrical panel - Weebles had some DIY surgery when I bought her, and I'll raise my hand to admit 22 years of my ownership didn't improve the situation. "Birds nest" comes to mind. I don't mind making mistakes - they are a natural byproduct of discovery. But I do mind living with them for longer than necessary. I've had virtually every wire removed from Weebles and rerun in a proper manner. I had beautiful custom panels made with backplanes as shown here so making up connections is neat and orderly. It was expensive in every possible sense of the word. The panels (including switch panels and engine control panels) were over $6k. The work to have it all installed, including electronics, was over $9k. Materials was another bunch of money that I sort of refuse to add-up. I probably have 300 personal hours in designing the panel and drawing the wiring diagram, including specifying cables, switches, and components. It was an incredibly time consuming task even though I never touched a tool. It added no value to the boat but I am so happy I had it done.

In that one example is the essence of why I did this. First, I felt a bit hemmed in - I had really let Weebles go over the years and she was in pretty poor condition. Second, I have a pair of 25-foot slips on the ICW that I have had combined and reconfigured that will barely accommodate a 36 footer. A 40 foot would draw a lot of attention, including local zoning officials. Third, like many, we have an attachment to our boat and its history and we felt a sense of obligation to breath another 50 years into her. And finally, she works well for us. We spent years entertaining heavily on SF Bay, often with over 15 friends aboard. Those days are behind us and Weebles will be our magic carpet for discovery. We like the austerity, the simplicity, the sense of connection that comes from a smaller boat that sits so close to the water. And we like that it bears little resemblance to our land based home.

I would encourage anyone considering a refit to closely examine their motives and objectives. Weebles is essentially a brand new boat at a healthy discount off new. But her resale value will be judged off a 1970 Willard, so it's an incredibly poor financial decision. It's really a bad idea financially. We can survive a couple financial disasters in life, and decided this would be one.

You have to really, really like the boat before doing this. Not just the bones, but the carcass, the soul, the fiber and being of the boat. It really needs to speak to what you want to do. For us, the expansive cockpit that many would consider wasted space gas a sense of presence unmatched in other boats, including the bigger sister W40.

In the end, setting aside the clearly emotional appeal of the project for me, it was a science project. A place where is could do things my way - the way I believe makes sense. It's been a lot of fun

For the most part, and with some notable exceptions, the project ran roughly within rifle-shot of budget. There were a couple of expensive add on expenses (reconfiguring flybridge seating, and reconfiguring stateroom), but those were choices, not cost over runs. The single biggest surprise was the old Vosper stabilizers were not salvageable and needed to be replaced. But that's a story for another thread.

Peter IMG_20201026_113020.jpeg

Peter you have a great understanding of what it takes to spec a boat and see it done right. It shows in the beautiful and fully functional outcome. There’s a saying in medicine “see one, do one and teach one if you want to know a task”. Similarly a new build or resto-mod does give you a deeper understanding but more importantly a deeper connection to your boat. Of interest my bride and true companion has the same name. Now get out there and have too much fun.

Years ago I read a posthumous ode written by a surgeon who was in his final throes of glioblastoma (the same brain cancer that took John McCain). He lamented to his adolescent son that the concept of time had changed over his life - as a resident, the days were incredibly long. But now, the years are short. He died before the piece was published, but what a wonderful gift to his children.

I certainly look forward to the next phase of cruising - this keyboard stuff is a great distraction. But I am itching to get my hands dirty again. There is still a healthy re-commissioning process left to do - this morning I am assembling an order of misc bronze plumbing fittings that were left out, propane solenoid and fittings (thanks to those who replied on a separate thread), and some pieces of aluminum bar-stock to mock-up an example of 'knuckles' for flopper-stopper poles for at-anchor stabilization. Turns out that for stuff like that, getting things done by drawing is almost impossible unless you go to a large machine shop, and even then you're best with CAD drawings.

Peter

I would encourage anyone considering a refit to closely examine their motives and objectives. Weebles is essentially a brand new boat at a healthy discount off new. But her resale value will be judged off a 1970 Willard, so it's an incredibly poor financial decision. It's really a bad idea financially. We can survive a couple financial disasters in life, and decided this would be one.

You have to really, really like the boat before doing this. Not just the bones, but the carcass, the soul, the fiber and being of the boat. It really needs to speak to what you want to do. For us, the expansive cockpit that many would consider wasted space gas a sense of presence unmatched in other boats, including the bigger sister W40.

I've had thoughts along these lines as well, although I'm not in a position to do that with my boat other than "a few things here, a few things there" at the moment.

I look at it this way: I have a boat that's not worth a lot in any condition, so the cost of changing to another boat that would be a significant upgrade and that I'd like better would be large. Potentially larger than a repower and moderate refit on my current boat (which could use some updating, changes, and a few things re-done, but isn't overly tired in general). Plus, my boat has family history and is pretty sentimental, so I'd have a tough time letting it go at any price.

I've had thoughts along these lines as well, although I'm not in a position to do that with my boat other than "a few things here, a few things there" at the moment.

I look at it this way: I have a boat that's not worth a lot in any condition, so the cost of changing to another boat that would be a significant upgrade and that I'd like better would be large. Potentially larger than a repower and moderate refit on my current boat (which could use some updating, changes, and a few things re-done, but isn't overly tired in general). Plus, my boat has family history and is pretty sentimental, so I'd have a tough time letting it go at any price.

The sentimental part is the gotcha on boats. I rarely have the conversation with 'civilians' (non-boat owners), but when I do, I point out that when dear old Fido or Fluffy gets sickly and you take him/her/it to the vet, few say "$300!?!?!?!? Heck....I could go to the pet store and get a new one for $200......"

Peter

Beautiful Boat! Would love to connect about the yard in Ensenada. My name is Lynn Ferguson in the market for a +50' GB Project. If you up to a chat text me at 661-713-2480. Good luck.

Probably the biggest single item I keep reminding myself of is that the people who work on boats seldom have much experience using them. They are great mechanics, electricians, carpenters, etc. But they do not know the deeper aspects of marine construction. If you can't bring that to the table, then there is no hope for a quality outcome.

Peter

This is SO true.

Congratulations on the splash - looks great!

Did you have the work done by Baja Naval or Niza or....? Thinking of having a major refurb done, including mechanical, on my OA PH Mk1 and have heard good things about Niza. Nut mostly second hand.

Peter,

Great job on Weebles!

Re: Baja Naval... Being based in So Cal I've had them do a variety of projects for me over the past 20 years and have been quite satisfied, especially compared to the costs for similar projects north of the border. But with a major painting project coming up I'd like to know more about your Ensenada options. Please email me when convenient at rtn1"at"mindspring.com. Thanks!
Roger

while in the yard. have you noticed any wood planked boats being worked on?
do you think there is a knowledge base there for wood type work?

I knew the grandson of Willard Buchanan who designed the boat. He had many stories about him.

Peter,

Great job on Weebles!

Re: Baja Naval... Being based in So Cal I've had them do a variety of projects for me over the past 20 years and have been quite satisfied, especially compared to the costs for similar projects north of the border. But with a major painting project coming up I'd like to know more about your Ensenada options. Please email me when convenient at rtn1"at"mindspring.com. Thanks!
Roger

Thanks Roger. Good to hear you have had good experiences with Baja Naval. I have found them to have mixed reviews - some like yourself are quite happy. Others like myself, well, not so much. It took several months of having the boat at their docks to just get quotes, and I never could get a quote on some major items such as re-wiring the boat. That said, the people who run the marina are, like so many people I've met in Mexico, some of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever met.

My hunch is they had a change of management a couple years ago. The company that owns Baja Naval also owns the large commercial dry-dock on the other side of the harbor - Transpenninsular. I believe the father who started Baja Naval is either retired or more engaged at Transpenninsular so one of his sons now manages Baja Naval. I couldn't tell if they weren't interested in my project, or not interested in Baja Naval in general. But I was unable to even get started even after being at their docks for a few months. Was surreal .

Peter

Launch day

Peter,

-Rich

I think buying an older GB from that era is a great idea, with a caveat. (Of course, I'm prejudiced). If you are really willing to take on the expense and pain of a total refit, you will have an awesome boat. Won't be cheap and at times you will ask yourself "what am I doing"? I know, I've gone through it. But if you look at it like buying a piece of land and then developing it, or a Condo and maintaining it, or an expensive RV or whatever, then the cost doesn't seem that much. My advice, after having spent a lot of time and money restoring my GB is this: Don't look for cheap. Look for best. In the long run, you will save money.

Did you have the work done by Baja Naval or Niza or....? Thinking of having a major refurb done, including mechanical, on my OA PH Mk1 and have heard good things about Niza. Nut mostly second hand.

I used Niza Marine. They are good people and very good with wood, fiberglass, and painting. There is a semi-commercial yard 1/4 mile north of Baja Naval that hauls a lot of boats. Probably room for 30-40 boats I suppose. It's more or less invisible from the street and is only really known by locals - no website or signage. It used to be a yard up until 10 years ago, then fell into some sort of disrepair and became a marine junk yard of the highest (lowest?) order. A few years ago, the ex-foreman from Baja Naval (Guillermo) made some sort of deal with the owner of the yard and started cleaning it up. It's hard-pack dirt and, shall we say, "rustic." It's actually a tad more expensive than Baja Naval, but allows DIY/Contractors to work there.

I really like Luis and Mario, the two guys who run Niza Marine. They are honest, hardworking, and bright guys. They really want to do the best possible work. But like so many businesses, they struggle with anything that is outside of their control such as electricians and mechanics. It's not just that subcontractors can be flakey, but even when they show-up, they are disruptive by being in the way, and taking other workers away from their work by asking questions. If I were them, I would avoid work that required a lot of mechanical input. It worked out okay for me, but it was not a shining moment.

I really cannot stress how much of my work went into this even though I'm 2400 miles away. I'm at the tail end of the refit and I still spent 4-5 hours this last weekend doing research on parts and ordering stuff (ordering extruded aluminum channel to mock-up linkage for flopper-stoppers). I am having two Balmar alternators installed - trying to fit them on to the engine is tight, and they are on separate belts. So several pictures and WhatsApp messages to figure out the best path forward (welder will make a bracket that will nest the two together).

What I did is a "Double Black Diamond" project. A lot of stuff all done at once. Not for the inexperienced or feint of heart. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I fancy myself as being pretty knowledgeable on boat systems (well, I have strong opinions - right or wrong).

The above said, there happened to be an OA50 Mk 1 at the Baja Naval docks when I was there. It had been there for a while and in increasingly rough shape. If it has a shot of bring brought back to life, it would be with someone like Niza Marine. They've learned a lot on Weebles.

Peter

Peter..Just arrived Cruiseport a couple of weeks ago and saw your boat being moved into the slip. Walked over to take a look. It looks really well done. The design of the hard top looks great. If you are still in Cruiseport maybe I will come by and say hello. If the sea lions don't attack me on the dock.:) Ross Macdonald MV Boppy's Star.

I think buying an older GB from that era is a great idea, with a caveat. (Of course, I'm prejudiced). If you are really willing to take on the expense and pain of a total refit, you will have an awesome boat. Won't be cheap and at times you will ask yourself "what am I doing"? I know, I've gone through it. But if you look at it like buying a piece of land and then developing it, or a Condo and maintaining it, or an expensive RV or whatever, then the cost doesn't seem that much. My advice, after having spent a lot of time and money restoring my GB is this: Don't look for cheap. Look for best. In the long run, you will save money.

I like to say I bought Weebles a second time. Truth is, I passed that mark early on and stopped adding up a running tally. I'm not a gambler but I like watching World Series of Poker on TV. They use a term called "Pot Committed" where someone is just too far into a hand to fold. Describes any restoration project, and boats are no exception. There's a point of no-exit/return, and it happens early on.

The one thing that kept me going was knowing Weebles would be exactly what I wanted. When I moved to Florida, I thought it was go-fast country - 15-kts at a minimum, preferably 25. Turns out there's a ton of skinny water so a protected prop is great; and a lot of wake-zone, so 7-kts ain't so slow afterall. But there's a lot of sun and bridges, so losing the mast in favor of a hard-top with better seating topside made sense. In the end, I think a displacement trawler makes a lot of sense for Florida - I've totally changed my tune.

I'm going to guess there are a lot of people like myself who are right around 60. Can't deny it any longer - I am past the halfway mark and there is more roadway in the rearview mirror than the windshield. I'm guessing it's natural to start the "last-of" discussion. I just put a 50-year roof on my house......last roof I'll ever do. I have another 10-years left in my 2009 RAV4....probably means I have one more new car left in me. And so on. I loved Weebles but was tired of the steel fuel tanks, the messed-up wiring, and the myriad of holes in the panels from years of electronics' installations. So Weebles' refit is on my list of "last-of..." creations.

So my advice to anyone thinking of a refit is to be pretty clear on what you're trying to accomplish. If there isn't some sort of emotional attachment to offset the intellectual and financial insanity, you'll never make it.

Peter

Peter..Just arrived Cruiseport a couple of weeks ago and saw your boat being moved into the slip. Walked over to take a look. It looks really well done. The design of the hard top looks great. If you are still in Cruiseport maybe I will come by and say hello. If the sea lions don't attack me on the dock.:) Ross Macdonald MV Boppy's Star.

Well, you've got one on me. I'm in Florida and have only seen the pictures. I'm glad the hardtop looks good - I was really worried about the scale of it. Thought it might look like a big hat on a small head or something.

The only part of being at Baja Naval that I preferred to Cruiseport was being a half-mile closer to Cerveceria Wendlandt - their Perro del Mar IPA won top honors at Mexico's craft beer competition last year.

Thanks for the shout-out. I am hoping to return to Ensenada in late March.

Peter

Peter,
Never would’a thunk but I actually have a boat on our float finger by the same name as you’re W36. Not a trawler.

Peter, Fantastic job at restoring Weebles. I am sure that the photo of the electrical bus bars is an example of the workmanship which is outstanding. You were a brave man to do this work from a location where you could not supervise on at least a weekly basis.

You have made the right decision to cruise the boat to FL. There are some fantastic adventures on the way there.

You wil never regret the money spent on. the restoration...

Bob

You have done a yeoman’s job! Enjoy many safe years of safe voyages!
She is absolutely beautiful.

Peter, Fantastic job at restoring Weebles. I am sure that the photo of the electrical bus bars is an example of the workmanship which is outstanding. You were a brave man to do this work from a location where you could not supervise on at least a weekly basis.

You have made the right decision to cruise the boat to FL. There are some fantastic adventures on the way there.

You wil never regret the money spent on. the restoration...

Bob
Thanks Bob. Over the years, you have been one of my virtual mentors. Your approach to cruising, seamanship, and self sufficiency, along with some of the other old souls from the 1960s and 1970s influenced me greatly.

Your recognition means a lot to me. Many thanks.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom