Late 80's Island Gypsys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscar

Guru
Vessel Name
Lady Kay V
Vessel Make
1978 Hatteras 53MY
Anyone have anything to say about these? Specifically the 40? Give me the good the bad and the ugly. I see no teak.... How much of it is cored? Balsa or foam? Steel tanks? Wiring? Any other known weak spots?

Not a lot of info on these boats out there.

Grazie.

Ah, good old David Pascoe, he reminds me of those two curmudgeon guys on the old Muppets TV show. It's gotten to the point where I just read his reviews for amusement for the cranky, sarcastic, hilariously negative writing. This boat is junk and your mother is ugly too!

Gee, the guy retired from surveying almost 4 years ago. The review being cited was surveyed in 1998. He may havw mellowed in his old age.

Ah, good old David Pascoe, he reminds me of those two curmudgeon guys on the old Muppets TV show. It's gotten to the point where I just read his reviews for amusement for the cranky, sarcastic, hilariously negative writing. This boat is junk and your mother is ugly too!

OK, so he highlights the negatives. Do you prefer the sugar-coated reviews in boat magazines? The ones where there is never any negatives because the builder buys advertising in the mag?

Not a great review but I saw one afloat and looking good about a year ago in Middle Harbour Sydney. There is one for sale in Western Australia, been for sale a long while...

OK, so he highlights the negatives. Do you prefer the sugar-coated reviews in boat magazines? The ones where there is never any negatives because the builder buys advertising in the mag?

No, but he's sort of the opposite extreme of those fluff, all-positive reviews. I know he retired a few years ago, but his reviews still pop up on boating forums all the time. Fluff reviews are no help, but neither is a reviewer who thinks every boat is junk and every boat designer is an idiot.

I have read a lot of Pascoe's stuff, including his book "Surveying Fiberglass Power Boats" Didn't think to look on his site for the IG40.

I think he was very good at what he did. If you want to put his negative reviews in perspective go to his site and read about some of the higher quality builds. He gives credit where credit is due, and when there's a design shortcoming he'll point it out as well.

I also regularly have to hold my stomach laughing at his observations.....

This thoughtful design gives you three options of boarding: (1) via the built in swim platform, (2) walking over your lounge seating and falling over the table, and (3) stepping into the wet bar sink. Very clever, these designers.

About the IG40:

when the boat was lifted on a travel lift, the slings noticeably compressed the hull sides

If Pascoe says a boat is crap, it is.

Last edited:
"This boat is junk and your mother is ugly too!"

He does say good things about properly built boats.

The boat might be worth a look. It outlasted Mr. Pascoe`s career, and did not break up and sink without trace as might be expected from the review. The one I saw here was quite a handsome apparently well maintained boat, longevity might suggest Mr. Pascoe was unduly critical.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom