Language a barrier to foreign cruising?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vp1

Veteran Member
Would not speaking a local language be a major impediment to cruising in a (developed) country where English isn't widely spoken? For example the Mediterranean, Netherlands, Nordic countries, Germany (mainly rivers, I suppose), or even Southeast Asia? I've spent enough time abroad to appreciate the varying levels of English proficiency in different parts of the world (both in tourism and in general), but how is it specifically related to the business of boating? I assume radio traffic is all in the local language near the coasts? Do officials (customs, coast guards, etc.) speak well enough that one could get by (maybe with the help of Google translate?) Is it possible to get local regulations (and notices to mariners) in English in most of these places? Would you operate in these places without a proficient speaker aboard?

Last edited:
everyone speaks "boat", even in the countries were little English is spoken or understood.

In addition, in part because of language, there is very little VHF traffic, compared to in the U.S.

Richard

Traveled a bit in many places , and most anywhere they are $elling anything ,
English is the std.

The French are the biggest PIA , so use rotten French or speak jibberesh (tell them its Croatian) and English will suddenly be spoken.

The youth almost anywhere delight in speaking English , as they understand English is the key to their future.

spoken language is always some form of barrier. Remember that there have been other forms of communications on the seas for many years. Whistle signals and flags are still important in many ports and they will get you by until someone that speaks English shows up.

I spent two years cruising in the Mediterranean. Everyone there speaks at least a little English and the people running the marinas speak excellent English. It doesn't hurt to make the attempt to speak whatever the native tongue is. Being able to say hello, goodbye and thank you will go a long way. That they can speak English and we can't speak their language is actually a little embarrassing. Incidentally English is the international language for navigation. Much to the chagrin of the French.

Most folks in Germany and Northern Europe speak better English than we do. I wouldn't worry in the least there. The Med is different, but, like France, if you are at least polite and try to speak their language, most people will do everything they can to help. No idea as to SE Asia. I wouldn't let a little thing like language stop me though!

English is the std.

The French are the biggest PIA , so use rotten French or speak jibberesh (tell them its Croatian) and English will suddenly be spoken.

The youth almost anywhere delight in speaking English , as they understand English is the key to their future.

What means "PIA" ? Sorry for my British English, sometimes the American-English slangs / abbreviated forms are not that easy to understand...

What means "PIA" ? Sorry for my British English, sometimes the American-English slangs / abbreviated forms are not that easy to understand...
PIA = Pain in the ass.

Thank you everyone for the answers! I guess it's the radio aspect of it that I was most curious about, negotiating passings and such. On land, I've never had problems even in places where no one spoke English and I didn't speak the local language. For basic tourist things, pointing and gesturing has always been sufficient.

Last edited:
It doesn't hurt to make the attempt to speak whatever the native tongue is. Being able to say hello, goodbye and thank you will go a long way.
This. Being able to say hello, goodbye, please, and thank you in the native language seems to me to be the very least that any reasonable person should learn. Anything beyond that is very worthwhile.

I know that people love to criticize the French, but honestly I have always found them pleasant and helpful. I vividly remember going into a store in a very small, out-of-the-way French village once. There was already an American tourist there. Playing the role of "Ugly American" to the hilt. Apparently thinking that if he angrily shouted English at the store clerk, that would help. The store clerk just shrugged and kept saying "comprends pas."

He finally left in a huff, and she just rolled her eyes. I then said "bonjour" and started talking to her in my broken French. She said, "yes, what is it you are looking for?" Just as polite as can be. She understood English perfectly, but she wasn't going to be bullied by someone who didn't even make the least effort. And I didn't blame her one little bit. If someone walked into your store in Kansas, and started gibbering away in Japanese, as if you are just expected to understand, how would you react? Even if you did understand Japanese, you'd say "Hey! You're in America buddy. At least learn how to say 'hello.'"

So, show some respect, learn a few words, learn a bit about the culture, and you can get along just fine in any country that you visit. At least, that has always been my experience.

I recently did a river cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam, Viking Longship. My wheelhouse tour opportunity came in the canals of the netherlands, where the traffic is thick, the fairway narrow, and lots of information passing on the VHF. Not a word of English. I don't speak Dutch, but can often recognize it spoken. I had highschool German, but couldn't rely on my translation abilities, especially on a VHF broadcast. The captain of the ship was Russian and had zero to nil competence in English, as he gave me a blank stare when I asked a question in simple English and his Second Mate answered for him.
While I recognize that English may be the language of commerce in Europe, you definitely need the local language to know what is happening on the waterways.

I recently did a river cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam, Viking Longship. My wheelhouse tour opportunity came in the canals of the netherlands, where the traffic is thick, the fairway narrow, and lots of information passing on the VHF. Not a word of English. I don't speak Dutch, but can often recognize it spoken. I had highschool German, but couldn't rely on my translation abilities, especially on a VHF broadcast. The captain of the ship was Russian and had zero to nil competence in English, as he gave me a blank stare when I asked a question in simple English and his Second Mate answered for him.
While I recognize that English may be the language of commerce in Europe, you definitely need the local language to know what is happening on the waterways.
I actually did a similar cruise, also on the Danube, but going the other way from Budapest, to Constanta, Romania. I also did a different segment of the Danube at a different time, from Vienna to Nuremberg (I work for one of the major river cruise companies - not Viking) but unfortunately it was before I was interested in boating so I didn't ask the nautical crew at the time whether it would be impossible to recreationally boat in the rivers/canals without local language proficiency. Interestingly enough, on that Budapest to to Constanta cruise, our captain was also Russian and also didn't speak any English. I'm a native Russian speaker so I was able to talk to him, but if he needed English, a member of his crew translated. Coincidentally, I was on a Russian river cruise three years ago (from Moscow to St. Petersburg), and of course none of the crew there spoke anything but Russian.

Last edited:
This. Being able to say hello, goodbye, please, and thank you in the native language seems to me to be the very least that any reasonable person should learn. Anything beyond that is very worthwhile.

I know that people love to criticize the French, but honestly I have always found them pleasant and helpful. I vividly remember going into a store in a very small, out-of-the-way French village once. There was already an American tourist there. Playing the role of "Ugly American" to the hilt. Apparently thinking that if he angrily shouted English at the store clerk, that would help. The store clerk just shrugged and kept saying "comprends pas."

He finally left in a huff, and she just rolled her eyes. I then said "bonjour" and started talking to her in my broken French. She said, "yes, what is it you are looking for?" Just as polite as can be. She understood English perfectly, but she wasn't going to be bullied by someone who didn't even make the least effort. And I didn't blame her one little bit. If someone walked into your store in Kansas, and started gibbering away in Japanese, as if you are just expected to understand, how would you react? Even if you did understand Japanese, you'd say "Hey! You're in America buddy. At least learn how to say 'hello.'"

So, show some respect, learn a few words, learn a bit about the culture, and you can get along just fine in any country that you visit. At least, that has always been my experience.

Merci beaucoup gentleman.

Visiting foreign ports while only speaking english and bad spanish

The French are the biggest PIA , so use rotten French or speak

Strangely despite these reports, as a polite US citizen, I've never had problems with the French.

The worst experience, and that very mild was when I asked how to find some place from a German carpenter in Germany, and was brusquely asked to speak German.

I asked some one else.;)

PIA = Pain in the ass.

Thank you everyone for the answers! I guess it's the radio aspect of it that I was most curious about, negotiating passing and such. On land, I've never had problems even in places where no one spoke English and I didn't speak the local language. For basic tourist things, pointing and gesturing has always been sufficient.

As Denver said above, the French are no no worse than anyone else in Europe.

Yes, VHF is an issue, but simply not important because there are many people, even on working boats, that may not have fluency in the land they are passing through.

Europeans expect you to know the rules of the road period.

And yes, they can be shy talking on the radio to an English speaker.
I heard an entire conversation in Dutch, as this barge and a ferry wondered if the "English" boat understood which side of the river to be on since the ferry was tethered with two row boats on the surface showing where the tether was. In other words the ferry used the current of the river to go from side to side by being tethered in the middle.

I figured it out; and thanked them in Dutch, which was the extent of my Dutch speaking.

But the chatter on VHF was much less once in eastern Europe. One does have to call port control in Poland, Latvia and Estonia before entering port, and generally just got a curt response is at all.

In Tallinn, they did tell me to wait, and that was clearly stated.

In Scandinavia, while many more people spoke English, there was much LESS radio talk and I had none for almost tow months.

At times I would have to dock without ever talking to anyone.

I just got back from my northern Spain reconnoiter. In the two marinas that I really needed information, A Coruna and Vigo, no one spoke English and Julie had to do the translating.

It will be a very interesting year for me.

Last edited:
So far, the only "furrin'" country we have visited in the boat is Canada, and I can hardly understand a word they say up there!:hide::hide:

Much communication is non-verbal. For instance, there's little question what's behind this door:

When checking in at a Florentine nunnery for a two-day stay, we were able to successfully communicate non-verbally with the the Italian speaking, front-desk nun.

Europe contains a plethora of languages. Fortunately, highly-educated people as well as those in the tourist industry have broad language skills. For most, English is their second language and are more fluent than many native Americans.

Many years ago, when I had just arrived in France, and not confident in speaking the language I asked a smartly dressed Parisian did he speak English, this I managed to do in my schoolboy French.

He looked at me then said in in perfect English,"no, not today" & walked off.

Best put down I ever received.

A comment I would add about visiting France or any French territories, including any of the French islands in the Caribbean...

Walk into a restaurant anywhere in America and say "table for two, please," and everyone will think you are quite polite because you said "please." Do the same in France and they will think you are remarkably rude because you didn't start with "bonjour." The French always say hello first, and then get to business. Americans often get right to the business at hand. This is one of those seemingly small cultural differences that actually can cause quite a bit of friction, when the first words out of your mouth strike the person you are speaking to as being rude.

So, when in French speaking areas, remember, it is always "bonjour" first, and then on to business.

Is language a barrier? No. However, in most any country being able to speak the language will put you at an advantage. It will endear you to them and also it will let you understand all the conversations they are having in their native language. Our travel has been to Spanish speaking countries and we've always had at least one person who spoke Spanish.

Greetings,
As has been said...Hello, goodbye and THANK YOU go a long, long way when you don't speak the language.

The Western Hemisphere has three languages, Spanish, English and French. For English speakers there are two books appropriately titled French for Cruisers and Spanish for Cruises. Recommend both. Europe is not much of a problem. Asia requires patience.

Last edited:
Apology Required !

English is the std.

Because of this post I know of one person ( at least ) that has quit this forum.

I am well aware that everyone has a right to an opinion but sometimes that opinion is a bit skewed; like suggesting all people of a certain nationality or culture are "this that or the other thing". In a international forum that has a huge following you display a lack of awareness that demonstrates a certain level of ignorance to what the purpose of this venue actually is designed to accomplish.
My very dear friend who happens to be a French citizen, an international businessman, regards this country as his role model of society. I'm sure he is not happy to be lumped into the "PIA' category simply because he happens to be French.
Maybe the poster could be categorized as an " Ugly American PIA " by a few French nationals.
As I said before, this forum should not be a place of venom or derision. It should, IMHO, be a place where like minded folks that enjoy a great lifestyle can share their experiences and wisdom without worrying what some "PIA - Ugly American's " opinion of another nationality happens to be. I, and hopefully we, really aren't interested!:mad:

Time for am apology Mr. FF - you can handle it I'm sure.

PS: if it was an attempt at humor, it didn't work:banghead:

Greetings,
Mr. BBoat. I fully agree. This serves to illustrate how the term "Ugly American" came about and survives to this day. Arrogance and ignorance are more of a barrier to foreign cruising than language.

Wifey B: Well said, Binkley. I know people complain about calling for political correctness, but all one is really calling for is not insulting a group of people, not seeking humor at the expense of others. We're all part of one or more stereotyped groups. I think most blonde jokes are funny. However, I also know that as a result of them there are people out there who think all blondes must be dumb.

Now, I'm going to say something to the one who left. So you felt insulted. I think everyone on this site has felt that way one or more times, often far more personal than a general characterization. Ultimately, the only way we win is by showing the characterization isn't true and by standing up to it when we feel it's made. We say clearly that it's not representative of all French or blondes or wealthy people or business people or government employees or lawyers or even used car salesmen. Running doesn't get it done.

I'm going to say that I don't believe FF meant to be insulting to a group of people but it sure came across that way. Ultimately he'll have to say what he meant or why he said what he did. However, at some point we have to forgive and forget or we have to decide we don't like the attitude of someone else and we're not giving in to their prejudice.

It's a tough balance and I don't have the answer, other than that we all must keep working on it. Perhaps a simpler way would have been saying "I'm French and I don't appreciate your characterization." Then saying, "I apologize. I've had some bad experiences but I know all Frenchmen are not like that."

The humor section has every group insulted but in humor. In the regular forum, we all need to just be aware and considerate. Think the next time you say all lawyers are crooked that there are lawyers here and I'm betting they are not crooked. The next time you characterize the poor as freeloaders or the wealthy as not caring. We've got both groups represented here. And when you find insults being made, just remind yourself that it says more about the person making them than it does about you.

Now, how about a group hug and back to boats. Please. Pretty please. :flowers:

Wifey B, you are wise beyond your years. You said what I wanted to say but was to angry to put it into words.

Kudo's to you and thank you.

Hubby B: Actually this latest part of the discussion has a lot of relevance to the OP's question. It's not language that will ultimately cause the problem, it's attitude. I know one person who I kept hearing all these war stories about problems with customs and immigration in every country he visited and how rude and ugly they were, how they acted so arrogant. Yet, we've never had an issue with any of them. The common thread on the other persons problems was him. Many reasons probably that we have no issues. Yes, we tip, but that's after meeting and asking for their help. It's really simple. We show respect for their position and for them. I apologize for not speaking their language. I compliment their English. Of any place we've been, we may have been treated best at the marina and resort in Nicaragua. That's the impression we left with, how nice and friendly the people there were.

Basically, we love mankind, we love people. We don't hold various governments in that same regard or some radical groups, although even with those groups we wonder what happened to make people so filled with hate and ugliness and what society can do, the good people of the world can do, to change that for the future.

Simply said, if you show respect and kindness on your travels, you'll never have a problem because of language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom