Laminar-Flow Interrupter Technology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucketlist1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lemon-Aid
Vessel Make
Ranger Tug R-27
Does any other manufacturers use this technology , or do they have a similar hull design ? Ranger/Cutwater had the patent US5819677A but let it expire many years before the 20 year date . I think it is then public domain ?

Hydroplanes used to use this. If not exactly the same it was very similar. Other builders have used that type of hull. Maybe Ranger came up with a different wrinkle and found it was not worth protecting it.
Thornycrafts were another if I remember correctly.
Or memory is failing me.

More modern thinking is to capture the laminar flow (water already you paid to accelerate) and use its energy.

A different not new concept is to blow air or exhaust under the vessel to ride on air.

Does any other manufacturers use this technology , or do they have a similar hull design ? Ranger/Cutwater had the patent US5819677A but let it expire many years before the 20 year date . I think it is then public domain ?

It looks like it expired on the 20 year anniversary of application, which is normal. They just declined to extend it, but I don't really remember the rules around extending protection. Too long ago....

Just asked Mr Google and Patents can't be extended. So that one would have expired anyway. I just don't know what the note is about it being "fee related".

The application was 1996-07-17 and the the expiry do to lack of payment was 2010-11-08 . approx 5 plus years before the 20 year date ( if you pay the fees ) . My question , and I don't know the answer is - can the company advertise '' our patented Laminar Flow Interrupter Technology '' after they let their patent go to public domain ?

Attachments

• IMG_5275.jpg
    IMG_5275.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5264.jpg
    IMG_5264.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5267.jpg
    IMG_5267.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 14
The application was 1996-07-17 and the the expiry do to lack of payment was 2010-11-08 . approx 5 plus years before the 20 year date ( if you pay the fees ) . My question , and I don't know the answer is - can the company advertise '' our patented Laminar Flow Interrupter Technology '' after they let their patent go to public domain ?

I'm no patent / trademark attorney but did a little work with them on a portfolio of patents making decisions re paying the fees, abandoning and offering licensing.

My GUESS is they could advertise as they did invent and was awarded a patent for the technology.
They can't claim exclusivity, and certainly can't prohibit anyone else from using or even advertising use of Laminar Flow Interrupter Technology.

Note: that advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom