Lake Worth inlet at night.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. M. You're supposed to tip customs?

Depends on where you are. Small tips ok in Bahamas but not required. Larger in Central and South America and they'll make sure you know they expect it, although not required.

Greetings,
Mr. M. You're supposed to tip customs?

Absolutely.

Let them finish all of the work first. Doing anything beforehand can be construed as a bribe, though not really enforceable. Afterwards, they have completed the work, so you are not bribing them to do anything.

First time over in 2001, after much research, it was a case of beer, after that I realized how limited the beer was over there so it was $s. This past spring, I actually asked the customs officer if it was still OK to tip. She replied, "someone told you it was not?"

I smiled and gave them $40 (there were two of them in Lucaya).

I hear US meat is also very welcome.

Regarding Walkers, I always wondered what the guy who came to our boat back when we checked in there got paid. Way up there, on the northernmost island, probably not much. Don't know if he billeted there or came over from Grand every day. So $20 a boat - helps a hell of a lot. I suspect they wouldn't be able to get an officer to work there unless his pay was subsidized by tips.

Last edited:
I estimate out of maybe 200 times clearing Bahamas customs, they have actually gone to my boat 10 times, mostly in Lucaya. Most times, sitting at a desk with a line to the door. Never seen anyone tip, I've never even considered it.
Should I tip Canadian customs at the car border crossing? Should we tip the Royal Defense Force after they finish a boat inspection at sea? How about the USCG? Shall we tip the XO? Where does this end? I think it sets in motion a corrupt govn't and there are many examples, by country, not all in S. America.

I estimate out of maybe 200 times clearing Bahamas customs, they have actually gone to my boat 10 times, mostly in Lucaya. Most times, sitting at a desk with a line to the door. Never seen anyone tip, I've never even considered it.
Should I tip Canadian customs at the car border crossing? Should we tip the Royal Defense Force after they finish a boat inspection at sea? How about the USCG? Shall we tip the XO? Where does this end? I think it sets in motion a corrupt govn't and there are many examples, by country, not all in S. America.

The only time I "tipped" was clearing Customs in Bimini in 1987. That was before the standard cruising fees, of course, and with all of the various fees they quoted, our entry bill came to $160.

I immediately pulled out two hundred dollar bills and handed them over, hearing my friend Steve next to me, who had cleared in Bimini many times, take in a large breath. The two officers smiled and one of them said, "And, a xxx fee of $40" and pocketed the money.

As we walked off, Steve said. "Always have small bills. They don't make change in Bimini."

Thankfully, things have become much better and I would say the Bahamian Customs and Immigration people today, are at least as professional and honest as the Customs and Border Officers I encounter when returning to the U.S. I would no more think of tipping a Bahamian law enforcement officer, than I would a US law enforcement officer. Frankly, it would be an insult. And, I say that as retired US federal LEO who was stationed in the Bahamas for a short time TDY and worked side by side with many Bahamian law enforcement officers (mostly their DEU and RDF, but with some of their Customs agents, as well).

Now, offering a cold soda or water on a hot day, I would do that in a second if any ever boarded my boat (none ever have so far). But, not because they were law enforcement, but because they are people coming on to my boat.

Last edited:
I have come into Lake Worth from the Bahamas at night and found it a little confusing but going out should be no problem.

First time I left Lake Worth was at night. Wasn't a problem.

Think I'm going to return via West End to Fr Pierce. I think I can do that in 10 hours at 7 knots.

Customs has moved to Grand Cay, they have an office there now, I cleared in there early this month. Super easy, just a bit of a walk from Rosie's.

As Cardude said there is also an office on GTC. And on Spanish Cay.

Also, the entrance to Black Sound is easier, in my opinion than the White Sound entrance. It's a little shallower on the Black Sound side, but is much better marked. Most of the Green marks in White Sound are missing as of last week.

Once you clear the entrance in Black sound you are fine with a draft under about 6'.

Think I'm going to return via West End to Fr Pierce. I think I can do that in 10 hours at 7 knots.

Good plan.

The stream will help you a lot. I usually run straight across from St. Lucie inlet to Grand on the way over, then work my way down to West End and take advantage of the stream on the way back.

I did West End to FP in May on my way back. Nice and easy and you get the push from the stream.

But as always pick your window.

And stop posting about your return - enjoy being there fer Gawd's sake! :)

I like to go on the Little Bahama Bank at White Sand Ridge. The water colors are so beautiful when you go on there. Then a straight run to Great Sale Cay. If we have caught fish on the way over, we stop at Great Sale for the night to cook the fresh fish. If not we go on to Green Turtle.

Back in the 90's when our cruise ship was met by customs and immigration we had to provide bottles of booze and cartons of cigarettes or they would delay our passengers from going ashore. It wasn't a gift or a tip...it was flat out extortion. This was back in the 90's though, so maybe things have changed.

Back
Top Bottom