La Paz as a Snowbird Destination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is another active TF thread asking whether a Dutch built steel 50 footer has the design characteristics suitable for cruising. Comments range from "wouldn't take her to the Bahamas" to "protected waters only." in fairness, there are several anywhere within range comments too, but my point is a lot of knee jerk observations that I can only assume are because she doesn't "look the part."

To my eyes, she's a stout boat and would be better suited to a trip down the Pacific Coast than either your Bayliner 47 or my Willard 36 (or even a Willard 40). But perception is reality. Folks really think you need a tank to go somewhere that isn't guaranteed docile (eg ICW) . Keeps them home waiting for a $200k Nordhavn I suppose.

Sistership on YW. Looks like a really nice Bahamas boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2012-linssen-grand-sturdy-500-variotop-6779708/

Peter

Last edited:
Peter, that is Exactly why I made that post. The problem is that people can talk themselves out of power cruising because they face the reality that a Nordhavn class boat is just not within their reach and allow retirement at a decent age, maybe never.

I looked at a LOT of boats here in La Paz. Yes there were a few "passagemaker class" boats, but they were FAR outnumbered by the much more affordable Coastal Cruisers.

I am just leaving today and am glad I came here before bringing my boat down.

One thing I guarantee that I'll be doing is buying Air Conditioners. I already have the ducting in place, and the wiring. I just need to run a seawater hose to each one.

The reason is that on hot days, even in the winter you can run into a situation where it is in the 80's, maybe the high 80's and have zero cooling breeze. That will make a boat extremely uncomfortable until the sun goes down and things cool off.
LOL 80f is lethal to Alaskan snowmen!!!!

Also give Crusty Chief a PM as he could give lots of first hand knowledge from the Columbia River to the Panama Canal.

Last edited:
Peter, I had someone the other day tell me that if I wanted to do any long range cruising, I really needed to buy a Nordhaven as our boat really wasn't made for that type of cruising! :whistling:

Here I am now, crushed and dismayed, trying to figure out how the original owner cruised her on her own bottom from the Philippines, where she was built, to the PNW . . .:D

I guess I now have to be on the look out for a Nordhaven, which apparently is the only cruising power boat designed to be out of the sight of land!:popcorn:

Peter, I had someone the other day tell me that if I wanted to do any long range cruising, I really needed to buy a Nordhaven as our boat really wasn't made for that type of cruising! :whistling:

Here I am now, crushed and dismayed, trying to figure out how the original owner cruised her on her own bottom from the Philippines, where she was built, to the PNW . . .:D

I guess I now have to be on the look out for a Nordhaven, which apparently is the only cruising power boat designed to be out of the sight of land!:popcorn:

I am glad you found out before venturing out into the blue seas. Maybe you can have it trucked down. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am glad you found out before venturing out into the blue seas. Maybe you can have it trucked down. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Indeed! It's a wonder Bob Beebe ever made it out of sight of land!

It's amazing what a motivated person can accomplish if there's no one there to tell them it can't be done or has to be done a certain way.

Again, I take nothing away from Nordhavn, and for this discussion, they are only a well known metaphor of an expensive, well built long range boat. If I had a choice between Kevin's Bayliner 4788 and a Nordhavn 50, I'd take the N50. But if I already owned the Bayliner, I wouldn't swap it out even if they were equal market value. With exception fuel range, trip for me would be roughly the same with either boat.

I think what both sailors and trawler folks don't realize is the most common pleasure craft style that transits the Panama Canal is a sportfisher. SF design is a far cry from either a cruising sailboat or a Nordhavn and yet they lay down thousands of open water miles. Granted, they consume amazing amounts of fuel and are repositioned by professional crew, but they get it done. Consistently. And in gnarly conditions.

Peter

It's amazing what a motivated person can accomplish if there's no one there to tell them it can't be done or has to be done a certain way…

:thumb: Lena and I met these 3 about 100 miles north of La Paz. They left Oregon, bough the catamaran on a trailer in San Diego and splashed in San Felipe. They had a canoe paddle, a hand vhf radio, rigged a flotation bottle on the top of the mast so they could right the cat in case they flipped. They had all their provisions in jugs that fit in each hull. Their sleeping bags and tent were in a dry bag strapped across the front by the mast. There plan was to get to La Paz, then one of them was to take a bus to get their van and trailer. They had already covered 600 plus miles when we met them and they were having a blast. Would I do it? NO!

Attachments

• 7589B60B-B7DB-4AF4-8691-792073346D3C.jpg
    7589B60B-B7DB-4AF4-8691-792073346D3C.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 30
i went from San Diego to Cabo in this. with a 350 nm range. way back was tough between cedros island and san quintin

Attachments

• IMG055.jpg
    IMG055.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 22
Wifey B: It's hilarious the tones different forums take and long range cruising is an area in which it's most notable. Sometimes CF seems to encourage newbies to circumnavigate in 8' styrofoam sailboats while a part of TF is telling people to be scared to go outside their shadow. :rofl:

We need to be careful to describe conditions so others can decide on their own. Some here won't go out in 3'. That's fine for them, but then don't throw that to others who may be more comfortable. The reality is it's seldom the boat in the discussions we're having, it's the Captain, the operator, the Helmsman, the Skipper, the whatever we want to call them. :)

Often warnings given by people who have never been to the areas. Yes, in Cabo San Lucas you'll see some megayachts and some very nice SF boats. I just pulled up a bunch of fishing charters from there though, like the ones we used when we were there. 40' Sea Ray, 22' CC, 26', 27', 25', 28', 28', 30', 31', 31', 32', 33', 33', 34', 34', 35', 36', 38', 43', 45', 45', 50', 50', 70', 70', 90'. Not until the 45' were they what I'd label SF's, but they call them that there. :ermm:

The issues are range and comfort. Range is calculable. Comfort can only be determined by yourself. I see the Bahamas as a beautiful lake suburb of Fort Lauderdale. :lol: Yes, there are days the road across might be a bit rough and might want to wait, but virtually no boat not fit. The 150' megayacht guests downsize to CC' and Tenders to explore. Eastern Caribbean is mainly the matter of getting there and travel to and from countries. That's like La Paz, virtually any boat fine once there, so it's range and coastal cruising to get there. I probably wouldn't go from San Diego to La Paz this week with 8' seas on Thursday, but I just might as the wind waves are only 1' at 3 seconds and the swells are 7' at 15 seconds which is really nothing difficult for most boats to handle, but most boaters would prefer to wait rather than spend several days in it. East Coast boaters see the numbers and are shocked at the West Coast swells. My first time out on the West Coast was from Westport, WA and I heard 10' and was worried, but I walked out to the overlook and saw all the fishing charters and no issues except the inlet and out we went and had a very nice run. It was 10' at 15 seconds. No comparison to the Chesapeake and their occasional 5' at 4 seconds. :eek:

I'd love the trip down in Kevin's Bayliner. I would be cautious and keep weather awareness. But then I'd do that off the coasts of WA and OR as well. :confused:

People boat in small boats everywhere. I've still never encountered conditions on the ocean like we did on holidays on Lake Norman in NC. Wakes from all directions. Don't even think you know how to hit them as another one coming from there and one from there and the wind and waves. #^&#!#@!&

If you don't like to go out in anything more than 2', that's fine. Just don't try to transfer that to others. On the other hand, if you're an experienced rough water boater, then don't try to talk others into conditions that might be more than they'd enjoy. Part of my training was rough water. Very rough in the Gulf of Mexico. Now, I'll never intentionally go out in similar conditions for pleasure, but I learned to handle it and learned it wasn't a problem for the boat, just the Captain had to know how. In one way it was like an amusement ride, but I did keep in mind the danger and risk and the fact I was safe because of the experience of those training me. :eek:

On direct topic, La Paz is beautiful. Nearly any boat here would be fine there. Then on some days, no boat here would want to go out. Getting there is simply weather windows and range. :D

This is for anyone thinking "Can I do it in my boat"

The answer is for the most part Yes you can.

I have been here for two weeks now, and have spent time at the marinas, looking over the anchorage and out on the water.

I have seen every boat here imaginable!

Pretty much every Taiwan Trawler you can think of is here and I'm pretty confident they all came here on their own bottom.

Plenty of Aft Cabin boats in the 45 foot range.
Europas of several sizes
Several Defever pilothouse look alikes
At least one Willard 36

So... If you are reading this wondering if you need a bigger, more capable boat, the answer is most likely no.

My advice to anyone reading this is to not sit in the office for more years paying for a more capable boat because you think that is what you need to go cruising.

The Sea of Cortez is Huge and you can explore it in the boat you probably already own.

I do not disagree with this fundamentally and will submit that you could do the Sea of Cortez in a canoe if you had a mind to and picked the right go/no go day.
But consider this: today is a typical Winter Day on the Sea and just off of Isla Espiritu Santu, the breeze is 22 knots, and the waves are 6 feet on 5 second intervals. If today is your northern OR southern crossing day, those waves are on your beam. You will not have a good day in a range of craft.
If you use Google Earth to compare the size of this body of water to something like the Straight of Juan de Fuca, Georgia Strait, or Queen Charlotte, it is larger and quite well lined up to the Winter northerlies or the Summer southerlies.

I have a pretty healthy respect already for this body of water. Despite being a low latitude geography with moderate tidal swings, lots of water needs to move in and out of the Pacific on a 3' swing due to the size of the Sea. This can make for some interesting wind v. current scenarios. San Jose channel has provided me with a bit of an education already!
Like most, it can be managed with good, patient decision making if you are in a limited craft, but not to be taken lightly, I think.

I do not disagree with this fundamentally and will submit that you could do the Sea of Cortez in a canoe if you had a mind to and picked the right go/no go day.
But consider this: today is a typical Winter Day on the Sea and just off of Isla Espiritu Santu, the breeze is 22 knots, and the waves are 6 feet on 5 second intervals. If today is your northern OR southern crossing day, those waves are on your beam. You will not have a good day in a range of craft.
If you use Google Earth to compare the size of this body of water to something like the Straight of Juan de Fuca, Georgia Strait, or Queen Charlotte, it is larger and quite well lined up to the Winter northerlies or the Summer southerlies.

I have a pretty healthy respect already for this body of water. Despite being a low latitude geography with moderate tidal swings, lots of water needs to move in and out of the Pacific on a 3' swing due to the size of the Sea. This can make for some interesting wind v. current scenarios. San Jose channel has provided me with a bit of an education already!
Like most, it can be managed with good, patient decision making if you are in a limited craft, but not to be taken lightly, I think.

Here is the way I look at it.

Every place you go in the ocean has wind and current patterns that are seasonal and can make travel either really uncomfortable or downright dangerous.

But... in any of those places regular boats travel safely and comfortably.

The key is to watch the weather, and not be on a schedule. If you need to wait a week for the weather to moderate then so be it.

I have 4,000 miles to travel to get to La Paz from Alaska, through some of the most trecherous seas on the planet. Places like the Gulf of Alaska, Dixon entrance, Queen Charlot Strait, The oregon Coast, Cape mendecino, just to name a few. None of these places are treacherous if you pick your weather days to travel.

Good seamanship is more than boat handling. It is patience more than anything else.

I never brag about the big seas I have had my boat out in. Those are the days I failed as a captain. I brag about the big seas I avoided. Those are the days when I succeeded.

Last edited:

Wifey B: But today, it's 1' at 7 seconds, like a calm pond. :D

Kevin has baited me into following him South this next winter, I always wanted to do it and I am confident my vessel is seaworthy enough to do the job (both directions). I have been up the Inside Passage and across the Gulf of Alaska three times so far, I don't expect to encounter anything I haven't seen before. I expect to avoid anything I haven't seen before :)

Everything is in tip top condition, checking off the boxes for every eventuality I can predict and provisioning for it. The distances between ports are my biggest concern, since I am single handing South. The winter weather in the Sea of Cortez isn't particularly favorable for a vessel the size of mine, so I expect to mostly hang out on the Pacific side, mostly Mag Bay.

It will make for an interesting thread when it's "mission accomplished"!

Kevin has baited me into following him South this next winter, I always wanted to do it and I am confident my vessel is seaworthy enough to do the job (both directions). I have been up the Inside Passage and across the Gulf of Alaska three times so far, I don't expect to encounter anything I haven't seen before. I expect to avoid anything I haven't seen before :)

Everything is in tip top condition, checking off the boxes for every eventuality I can predict and provisioning for it. The distances between ports are my biggest concern, since I am single handing South. The winter weather in the Sea of Cortez isn't particularly favorable for a vessel the size of mine, so I expect to mostly hang out on the Pacific side, mostly Mag Bay.

We are going to have a blast Doug! and for the record it was you that talked me into making the trip with your very seaworthy Willard blazing the trail!

Last edited:

Plan well for any extended stay in Mag Bay. There’s very little there to support you. Fantastic fishing however!

Wifey B: It's hilarious the tones different forums take and long range cruising is an area in which it's most notable. Sometimes CF seems to encourage newbies to circumnavigate in 8' styrofoam sailboats while a part of TF is telling people to be scared to go outside their shadow. :rofl:

We need to be careful to describe conditions so others can decide on their own. Some here won't go out in 3'. That's fine for them, but then don't throw that to others who may be more comfortable. The reality is it's seldom the boat in the discussions we're having, it's the Captain, the operator, the Helmsman, the Skipper, the whatever we want to call them. :)

Often warnings given by people who have never been to the areas. Yes, in Cabo San Lucas you'll see some megayachts and some very nice SF boats. I just pulled up a bunch of fishing charters from there though, like the ones we used when we were there. 40' Sea Ray, 22' CC, 26', 27', 25', 28', 28', 30', 31', 31', 32', 33', 33', 34', 34', 35', 36', 38', 43', 45', 45', 50', 50', 70', 70', 90'. Not until the 45' were they what I'd label SF's, but they call them that there. :ermm:

The issues are range and comfort. Range is calculable. Comfort can only be determined by yourself. I see the Bahamas as a beautiful lake suburb of Fort Lauderdale. [emoji38] Yes, there are days the road across might be a bit rough and might want to wait, but virtually no boat not fit. The 150' megayacht guests downsize to CC' and Tenders to explore. Eastern Caribbean is mainly the matter of getting there and travel to and from countries. That's like La Paz, virtually any boat fine once there, so it's range and coastal cruising to get there. I probably wouldn't go from San Diego to La Paz this week with 8' seas on Thursday, but I just might as the wind waves are only 1' at 3 seconds and the swells are 7' at 15 seconds which is really nothing difficult for most boats to handle, but most boaters would prefer to wait rather than spend several days in it. East Coast boaters see the numbers and are shocked at the West Coast swells. My first time out on the West Coast was from Westport, WA and I heard 10' and was worried, but I walked out to the overlook and saw all the fishing charters and no issues except the inlet and out we went and had a very nice run. It was 10' at 15 seconds. No comparison to the Chesapeake and their occasional 5' at 4 seconds. :eek:

I'd love the trip down in Kevin's Bayliner. I would be cautious and keep weather awareness. But then I'd do that off the coasts of WA and OR as well. :confused:

People boat in small boats everywhere. I've still never encountered conditions on the ocean like we did on holidays on Lake Norman in NC. Wakes from all directions. Don't even think you know how to hit them as another one coming from there and one from there and the wind and waves. #^&#!#@!&

If you don't like to go out in anything more than 2', that's fine. Just don't try to transfer that to others. On the other hand, if you're an experienced rough water boater, then don't try to talk others into conditions that might be more than they'd enjoy. Part of my training was rough water. Very rough in the Gulf of Mexico. Now, I'll never intentionally go out in similar conditions for pleasure, but I learned to handle it and learned it wasn't a problem for the boat, just the Captain had to know how. In one way it was like an amusement ride, but I did keep in mind the danger and risk and the fact I was safe because of the experience of those training me. :eek:

On direct topic, La Paz is beautiful. Nearly any boat here would be fine there. Then on some days, no boat here would want to go out. Getting there is simply weather windows and range. :D
Thank you, very valuable perspective.

Plan well for any extended stay in Mag Bay. There’s very little there to support you. Fantastic fishing however!

I have watched several sailing vlogs where boats were able to re-provision with propane, gasoline (in cans), and food in a local market. I am hopeful that the town has grown somewhat and there will be some other services available.

Unfortunately there’s been no growth on the Pacific side of Baja, Covid took a great toll.

Mag Bay has nothing but one restaurant. Everything else is barged in for the locals, including water. San Carlos has provisions but is up the estuary and not cruiser friendly.

We had some long talks with the locals this past November if you are wondering, they are struggling at best.

Unfortunately there’s been no growth on the Pacific side of Baja, Covid took a great toll.

Mag Bay has nothing but one restaurant. Everything else is barged in for the locals, including water. San Carlos has provisions but is up the estuary and not cruiser friendly.

We had some long talks with the locals this past November if you are wondering, they are struggling at best.

We didn't stop in Mag Bay this year, but I too don't remember much in Mag Bay. I can't imagine voluntarily spending a significant amount of time there when there are so many interesting places to see elsewhere in Mexico. We did stop in Santa Maria this year, which I think is prettier than Mag Bay and it's quicker to get in and out of (but more swell). To give you a sense of the lack of services in this part of the world, the locals came out to us (the only powerboat) in pangas to fill their water barrels. The alternative is a multi-hour, low-tide drive to a town 20+ miles away.

So many people told us that the Sea of Cortez is windy and cold (relative of course!) in January and February that we headed right for Pacific Mexico after Cabo. Mazatlan, Banderas Bay, Barra de Navidad, etc. Many great towns to visit, but rollier anchorages than we're used to coming from the PNW. Any time we're anchored the flopper stopper is out. We rented a slip this month in Banderas Bay (La Cruz) and are using some of the time to do some land travel. We're in Mexico City now (exceeding expectations!) and later we'll go to Oaxaca. We'd love to do Copper Canyon and see the Monarch butterflies too, but time is running out!

That said, we're super excited for the Sea of Cortez starting at the end of February or beginning of March. The distances between anchorages are much shorter, the scenery looks more dramatic, and the anchorages look much calmer. Plus we'll get to explore La Paz and Loreto!

Winter weather in Mexico is better than any summer I've had in Alaska!

My cruising guide shows a town of 10,000 people with a connecting road to the Sea of Cortez and the Cabos', from Puerto San Carlos. I also get fishing reports from the lodges in Mag Bay, who probably haul in their own fuel and food as well as the charter guests.

I do know there is more than one town inside the Bay, but it's great to hear from people who have cruised that area before. What kind of provisioning is available in Turtle Bay?

My cruising guide shows a town of 10,000 people with a connecting road to the Sea of Cortez and the Cabos', from Puerto San Carlos. I also get fishing reports from the lodges in Mag Bay, who probably haul in their own fuel and food as well as the charter guests.

I do know there is more than one town inside the Bay, but it's great to hear from people who have cruised that area before. What kind of provisioning is available in Turtle Bay?

It's funny that people dismiss Puerto San Carlos.

There is a good size town (larger than Turtle Bay) and a fishing fleet that somehow takes on fuel.

The only thing that Turtle Bay seems to offer is one family that makes a living selling fuel to travelers.

Worst case scenario a person could take fuel to their boat using their skiff, but I am venturing a guess that someone fluent in spanish could get what they need there.

It's funny that people dismiss Puerto San Carlos.

There is a good size town (larger than Turtle Bay) and a fishing fleet that somehow takes on fuel.

The only thing that Turtle Bay seems to offer is one family that makes a living selling fuel to travelers.

Worst case scenario a person could take fuel to their boat using their skiff, but I am venturing a guess that someone fluent in spanish could get what they need there.

I have been to many spots in Baja that say no fuel.

It's amazing how for a small fee you can get fuel. not in the thousands of gallons but in a few 55 gal drums delivered to your vessel.

Having just returned from Mexico and returning there in March, then with my boat in November here are some tips and tricks to get by and save money.
Also a few things to keep in mind.

* Get used to wearing a mask. This is a requirement any time you are indoors right now. Once you sit at a table you can take it off.

* Learn some Spanish. Take a class online. You do not need to be conversationally fluent but it helps. The most important thing is that you are giving the impression that you are trying. Trying and smiling helps.

* Learn how to use a phone based translator app. This will help with complex things more than you think. You speak in english and the app speaks in spanish, and Vice Versa. I have found that Itranslate is pretty good.

* Do not worry about bringing cash. If you exchange cash to pesos you are going to pay for that service. If you want a stash of emergency cash, that is fine. Most places will accept dollars but expect a non optimum exchange rate. The thing to do is use your debit card to get cash. I found that I paid $0.37 as a transaction fee and got the spot market exchange rate. Also do not worry about using your credit card. Unlike America Mexican businesses never take your credit card to a machine. You use it in a wireless credit card reader thaty they bring to your table.

* Be nice. This cannot be over stated. Americans in general are an aggressive demanding society in the manner they deal with people. That is in contrast with Mexican culture which is more humble by nature. Tone down the type A personality and just relax. Be nice and you will fit in. Be aggressive or demanding and see how unpleasant your visit to Mexico can be.

* Talk to the locals. Americans tend to for example go out to eat and ignore the people around them. Mexican culture is more friendly. Make friends, meet people. You might just find that it is a really plesant change of pace.

Last edited:
Having just returned from Mexico and returning there in March, then with my boat in November here are some tips and tricks to get by and save money.

* Get used to wearing a mask. This is a requirement any time you are indoors right now. Once you sit at a table you can take it off.

* Learn some Spanish. Take a class online. You do not need to be conversationally fluent but it helps. The most important thing is that you are giving the impression that you are trying. Trying and smiling helps.

* Learn how to use a phone based translator app. This will help with complex things more than you think. You speak in english and the app speaks in spanish, and Vice Versa. I have found that Itranslate is pretty good.

* Do not worry about bringing cash. If you exchange cash to pesos you are going to pay for that service. If you want a stash of emergency cash, that is fine. Most places will accept dollars but expect a non optimum exchange rate. The thing to do is use your debit card to get cash. I found that I paid $0.37 as a transaction fee and got the spot market exchange rate.

* Be nice. This cannot be over stated. Americans in general are an aggressive demanding society in the manner they deal with people. That is in contrast with Mexican culture which is more humble by nature. Tone down the type A personality and just relax. Be nice and you will fit in. Be aggressive or demanding and see how unpleasant your visit to Mexico can be.

* Talk to the locals. Americans tend to for example go out to eat and ignore the people around them. Mexican culture is more friendly. Make friends, meet people. You might just find that it is a really plesant change of pace.

Great points - I'll add and expand a few things.

1. Yes, masks are universally worn. Even folks driving alone in their car or riding bikes are often wearing masks. Temperature is taken before entering many stores and restaurants. Often asked to wipe-feet on some sort of disinfectant mat. I know, limited help, but it's the current culture there.

2. Duolingo (iPhone/Android App) for Spanish lessons. Works pretty well.

3. Google Translate is universally used. I have had many merchants type what they are trying to say on my phone. I would not use anything else only because they are used to Google. I have not used the text-to-speech translation.

4. ATMs. Recently, I have noticed the ATMs are not giving spot-rates so not a great deal. I have resorted to bring USD and exchanging to pesos at the Casa de Cambio's (money exchange). Rates are excellent. Also, skimming remains a problem in Mexico (skimming is where a device is surreptitiously inserted into the ATM and your Debit card info is stolen, including PIN). I therefore only use bank-branded ATMs. Even that is not fool-proof if not located in a bank.

5. Mexican culture. I have found Mexicans to be no different than most people - honest, helpful, and friendly. The American culture is a bit more assertive. I spent a good part of my consulting career with investment-bank clients on Wall Street, arguably the shark-tank of shark-tanks. Sharp-elbow way of communicating. Total non-starter in Mexico (or almost anywhere else in the world - I found I had to tone-down for Chicago-based clients). I got a remarkable piece of advice from a Mexican business owner that seems to sum-up Mexico: "As you given, you shall receive." I have seen that first-hand from another boat owner who was loud, obnoxious, and thought Mexicans were out to rob him blind. He thought he won, but I can tell you, he got very low value due to his attitude (again, not exclusive to Mexico).

6. Definitely meet people. I was traveling in the interior of Yucatan in a village known for smoked meats. The place spoke zero English and my Spanish sucks. Somehow, I scored a tour of their smoke-house. What a treat - not sure who was more proud: the owner or myself.

I know Mexico is not for everyone, and that's fine (though you are missing a ton). And there are severe compromises in being there - it's not nearly as clean and neat as the US, and it government corruption is a problem. But at the street-level, great place. Food is good, people are nice. Weather is good.

Tranquillo....

Peter

Great advice!

in addition, have some gifts on your boat.

one of the items they love is American teams baseball caps (LA dodgers is best). get a stack and you'll be amazed how much goodwill it will get you. yes, more than cash.

A MAGA cap does the opposite

* Do not worry about bringing cash. If you exchange cash to pesos you are going to pay for that service. If you want a stash of emergency cash, that is fine. Most places will accept dollars but expect a non optimum exchange rate. The thing to do is use your debit card to get cash. I found that I paid $0.37 as a transaction fee and got the spot market exchange rate. Also do not worry about using your credit card. Unlike America Mexican businesses never take your credit card to a machine. You use it in a wireless credit card reader thaty they bring to your table.

Kevin: Good points and remember, mañana doesn’t mean tomorrow, just not today and at an indefinite time in the future. ;)

Kevin: Good points and remember, mañana doesn’t mean tomorrow, just not today and at an indefinite time in the future. ;)

And ahorita doesn't mean "right now" it means just not right now and at an indefinite time in the future....

Eat lots of food! Stay away from fresh greens and stick to popular spots with lots of turnover and you'll be okay.

I have made 4 one month long driving and camping trips up and down the Baja over the past 12 months. Having visited and experienced a number of locations on both the Gulf side and the Pacific side, I believe the "sweet spot" is Gulf side from Puerto Escondido south to Bahia de los Muertos, with La Paz in between those two end points.

Having explored by land, I am now searching for a live aboard boat to base in Baja to cruise that section.

Any chance you are looking for a crew member to assist you with the voyage from Alaska to La Paz (or some portion(s) of that trip?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom