A Krogen in Europe – A New Chapter Begins for Dauntless and its Intrepid Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
A Krogen in Europe –
A New Chapter Begins for Dauntless and its Intrepid Captain and First Mate

It’s 09:00 a.m. and I just finishing my coffee and the very last three Costco oatmeal cookies that had been frozen more than two months ago and today, tasted as fresh as the day I got them.

The cookies were great crossing the ocean. Almost every morning, I had something to look forward to, but their time is now past. The Irish may not be known for their baking, but they certainly have some wonderful “Danish”, which I am already looking forward to tomorrow morning, as I sit here and gaze on to a scene of evergreens and ferns that reminds me of western Washington, the islands of Puget Sound and Southeast Alaska (and of course, all points in between). I‘ll be docked next to a fishing boat in the centre of Castletwonbere for probably my last week here. I have three things that need to be done in the relatively near future and if I leave here with at least two of them accomplished, I will be pleased. The three are: a new paravane pole, 2500 liters fuel and a diesel forced air heater. Already think the heater won’t happen, having been advised to look in Cork.

But I get ahead of myself. I slept from 22:00 last night to 8:30 this morning, after travelling yesterday from Leonie’s house in Helmond to the airport, plane ride to Cork, then bus to Castletownbere, where I caught the ferry to Bere Island, where Dauntless was in my absence.

During all my travel time yesterday, I marveled that we are now living the accomplishment of the goal. The first part of the goal was to get Dauntless to Europe. We did that. This was the payoff for those rolling seas, tension, loneliness and having to pinch our pennies.

I must have been tired, but my trips to the Netherlands are always so nice. When my new friends here in Castletownbere, Karel and Mi Jong, said they were flying to Amsterdam last week for the boat show, I knew Leonie’s birthday was the following Saturday and she takes those kind of things very seriously. So I flew down for the week and had a really special time, eating well and seeing most of my Dutch friends. I was reminded that I had not been in the Netherlands for two years, since before my mother died. That’s the longest period in the last 15 years, but I suppose it has been a tumultuous two years. Being able to maintain these relationships over the last 38 years (I first arrived in Italy in 1976) has always been a first priority for me. Now, I’ve even added new Ireland friends, Karel and Mi Jong, have been so generous and helpful and really made me feel like part of the family. Also, staying with them really helped me get over that long, arduous 10 day voyage faster than I ever imagined.

Dauntless was just as I left here and best of all, the batteries were only down less than 200 amp-hours, over 7 days. Now those days have been mostly sunny, giving my solar panels the opportunity to put about 50 amps hours back into the battery bank each day. But the real pleasure in this is that the Vitrifrigo freezer and refrigerator both only use about 5 amps per hour on average, so that’s 75 amps per day. Having them 12v (really variable) allows me to turn off Inverter if I’m not on boat, so I’m so happy.

So now I’m back in Ireland and finally starting to put the boat back in shape so it doesn’t look like it just crossed an ocean with a bunch of vagabonds. I am filling the water tanks now. I have to figure a better method to be sure when they are full, other than waiting to see standing water on top of the tank.

I’m also really excited about getting underway again, even if it’s just two days to Waterford. I get to use my new Delta I got at Hopkins-Carter and while I have not finished reading that whole Fortress Thread and test, I appreciate their candor.

On that note, not to throw any fuel (contaminated or not) on the fire, but for all of you who rant and rave about your new age, $$expensive$$ anchors, trying to be as objective as I can be, I have noticed that virtually everyone who gets a new anchor, gets one far heavier than the last one. Now, I admit, I noticed this because I did the same thing. I got a 60 lb. CQR that replaced my 40 lb. Plow. For the first months I thought the CQR was much better, but then I realized it was just heavier and did un-set itself a lot. The Delta is far better, has never unset so far and is 5 lbs. lighter. Just Saying…

I’d like to keep this thread focused on having an American boat, a Krogen, and me and Julie in Europe. How’s it’s the same, how it’s different. But to be clear, as much as I’ve wanted to return to Europe, it’s not a case of it being better, it’s just different. One thing I have gleaned from living all over the place the last 40 years, is that every place has its advantages and disadvantages. To be happy, it’s best to not try to bring your old life to the new place. I used to drink a Coke a day and then in Italy as that became a bit more difficult, I switched to wine. Made my life far easier and turns out far healthier. In Italy, as times, I even had to replace my morning orange juice with, guess what? Wine! At first I was aghast, but also as it turns out, humans have been doing that for the last 10,000 years, versus orange juice’s, what?, 50 years. Madison Ave types were getting annual bonuses big enough to buy a Manhattan apartment each year, long before the financial industry learned how to squeeze us for every last nickel and dime.

So the above paragraph has nothing to do with having an American boat in Europe. Oh well, just goes to show you, to boat, you must be flexible.

So, I’m excited about the coming year already. I’m looking forward to the challenge of living aboard during the winter. I’m also excited about the Baltic tour. I think I will even leave Ireland in March, as to start as early as I can in northern France, the Channel Islands, then Belgium, Holland in April. In time for Tulip season. Maybe I can make a picture of the Krogen surrounded by fields of tulips. :smitten: Later

Will you head to Scotland after leaving Ireland? Some of the places up there look very interesting to visit. The Royal Navy has their sub base up there and it looks like you can get kinda close which surprises me. :eek: I would want to see how close I can get. :rofl:

Can't wait to read of your time in Ireland. It is what we want to do...

Later,
Dan

Rich-I hope you are enjoying Ireland! I have a very good friend from here in the PNW who has lived in Limerick for about 15 years, married a lass, known affectionately by us Yank friends as "The Lovely Irish Lass" (she can drink most guys under the table!). He has even acquired an Irish lilt! His stories of life in Ireland are legend. I envy you and Julie the trip and admire your determination to just get out and do it!

Great plans Rich.Will your wife be joining you soon.I'm not married.(divorced years agao) My current girlfriend (the last 13 years),and our son (11), do everything together.It would be really difficult for me to not have them along.

Sounds like you have a plan as always and it sounds exciting. I love you quote about not taking your old life to your new place. Such a wise statement, and how long does it take for us to realize it. :)
Embracing the new for what it is, can fill your life with excitement and challenge. You obviously live by this. Here is a toast of that wine glass to you guys! :)

We've already gone native

ForumRunner_20140913_133939.jpg

Richard,
Looks like you are going to need a couple of cray pots or a net drum for Dauntless if you stay there much longer.
Cheers
Benn

Well, it's only proper that after you drug us crew all along on your pond crossing that you not kick us back to our shores upon your arrival! Thanks for inviting us to stay on for the next leg!

I was very fortunate to get stationed in England for a couple years - what an amazing experience. I've been so fortunate to travel to dozens of countries and even spend significant time in some. You are right - one is not better than another. I just like to take note of the positive aspects of each and try to incorporate that into my own life wherever I am.

Great post - look forward to hearing more updates. One thing I haven't heard: How's the Guinness?!

Tasty.
Thanks all.
Just finished changing my engine fuel filters, the gen fuel filter and the fuel polishing filter again.

dancc,
You can certainly get into the bay near to the sub base in Scotland but don't even think of going near the base unless you want to look down the business end of a 7.62 and have a thorough interview without coffee !
Richard, congratulations on your wonderful achievement, if I could make just one tiny suggestion, go to Amsterdam on the plane.
There is so much to see and do you would be ill advised to rush it, go to Keukenhof next year, it'll still be there waiting for you.
Just chill out and make some fine memories every day, if you are like fish you would do well to make friends in Castletownbere with the fishermen and stock up your freezer.
p.s Try the Tullamore Dew Irish whisky, you'll love it.
Above all enjoy every moment.
Well done.

dancc,
You can certainly get into the bay near to the sub base in Scotland but don't even think of going near the base unless you want to look down the business end of a 7.62 and have a thorough interview without coffee !
Richard, congratulations on your wonderful achievement, if I could make just one tiny suggestion, go to Amsterdam on the plane.
There is so much to see and do you would be ill advised to rush it, go to Keukenhof next year, it'll still be there waiting for you.
Just chill out and make some fine memories every day, if you are like fish you would do well to make friends in Castletownbere with the fishermen and stock up your freezer.
p.s Try the Tullamore Dew Irish whisky, you'll love
Above all enjoy every moment.
Well done.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do need some Irish whiskey.

You know, I did live in the Netherlands among other places.

Julie and I did a bike trip that ended at keukenhof.

I'm already planning my spring and summer cruise.
Great info on the Kiel Canal today on Cruiser Forum. I'm guessing we'll be there in May.

dancc,
You can certainly get into the bay near to the sub base in Scotland but don't even think of going near the base unless you want to look down the business end of a 7.62 and have a thorough interview without coffee !...

Well DUH! :facepalm: Of course they won't give me coffee, it is the UK, err, well Scotland, but maybe still UK, or not, :eek::D, but in any case, I would expect some tea as we had our discussion. :rofl:

I did not realize the RN sub base was in Scotland until reading about the potential issues if Scotland votes itself out of the UK. I went on Google Earth to see the base location because I had spent quite a bit of time looking at the images looking for interesting places to visit. I had not noticed the sub base when we were looking at places to go in Scotland but I found it pretty easy once I knew it was up there.

What surprised me is that I did not see floating barriers far from the subs as you do at the US Navy sub base in the PNW. The PNW base had multiple layers of barriers, and on the day the sat photo was taken, there looked to be multiple patrol boats behind one of the barriers. The first barrier one would encounter at the PNW base did not look like it would be possible to pass by boat. Even a ship would be iffy. :eek:

That is why I was surprised at what I could NOT see at the RN sub base.

The peninsula across from the sub base is obviously where munitions are stored. The road and fences are rather obvious. What was interesting was that there are roads that have a view of the munitions base but the Google Street view has been disabled at key points. :eek::D

I really do what to visit that area by boat. The place looks absolutely gorgeous but we will have to keep our distance from certain places. :D I assume the local charts tell you to stay the heck away. :D I really would rather have my coffee on my boat. :rofl:

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
danc. There are certainly some very beautiful cruising in Scotland and I've cruised all up the Western Isles in my Birchwood 33 before I headed down to the Med.
The security at Faslane may not be so in your face, but it's there.
Wxx3, if I may respectfully suggest that you chat to the trawler lads about fuel and you'll get the best deal.
If not, be aware that boats in Ireland and UK are allowed to use rebated fuel the same as the farmers/fishermen but mainland Europe does not.
Waterford's a great city and if you go to the town marina there's a very well stocked hardware shop just across the road, they might even have a starting handle for a model T ford as they seem to stock everything else.
New Ross is also worth seeing and if you go to the marina and need help ask for John Dimond and tell him you are a buddy of mine and you'll be well looked after..

Wxx3, if I may respectfully suggest that you chat to the trawler lads about fuel and you'll get the best deal.
If not, be aware that boats in Ireland and UK are allowed to use rebated fuel the same as the farmers/fishermen but mainland Europe does not.

That is real good advice. :thumb:

I thought the UK was having issues with EU rules regarding fuel taxes?

What I read was that some/many boat fuel suppliers were charging taxes on 50% of the fuel and not on on the other 50%. I think this was for pleasure boats and the reason they were only charging the taxes on 50% of the fuel was because fuel used to provide heat, not propulsion, was not taxed. Since it would be hard to prove/disprove how much fuel was being used for heating the suppliers were just going 50/50 on the taxes.

Is this no longer true? Is the fuel price still around $6 a gallon?

I am guessing/remembering that I read this on Noonsite but I could be disremembering. :eek::facepalm::D

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
I'd tell you the price, but then I'd have to kill you.

Yes, the lads are very nice.
Yes, the old percentage game. Varies from 0 to 100% used for propulsion, with the rest of the EU being on a running battle with the UK about it.

Needless to say, I've made it clear that I'm not the Yank with deep pockets, I'm the Yank with empty pockets.

It helps that it's true. American credit cards are ever more an issue. Last year it was just in the Netherlands, now it's all over.

In over thirty years of coming to Europe, I've never traveled with more than $100 American, sometimes only $20. Knowing I was going to get local currency at any atm.

It's two way street. It's a combination of Europeans not trusting the security of US cc(and we know why don't we?)
& the US banks terrified of any European transaction. (Same comment and reason)

But Friday, I found a good lad who'll take my CC for €2500, so that will get me thru the winter and spring and maybe summer until I return to fill up again.:) :) :) :)

And we've actually already been to northern Scotland on our friends sailboat.

Beautiful, but they say they Norway is even prettier and far cheaper.

Scandinavia next summer certainly, fall maybe? Winter ????????????????

Hello Dan,
Yes the issue over fuel is an ongoing battle with the pricks in the EU.
Basically they want the UK & Ireland to abolish the rebated diesel.
Many of us would like to get out of the Evil Union.
When you buy the fuel you buy it at rebated prices, then you are supposed to tell the tax authorities how much you use for propulsion and pay tax on it.:rofl:
Naturally it's too cold/bad weather so there's an awful lot of heating oil used.:rolleyes:
Frankly ignore it, make sure the tanks are full to the throat before you leave Dover but you MUST keep receipts for diesel bought in the UK to show any European jobsworths.
Remember gas bottles and regulators are different in Ireland, the UK and Europe you will have to buy new bottles.

It helps that it's true. American credit cards are ever more an issue. Last year it was just in the Netherlands, now it's all over.

In over thirty years of coming to Europe, I've never traveled with more than $100 American, sometimes only $20. Knowing I was going to get local currency at any atm.

It's two way street. It's a combination of Europeans not trusting the security of US cc(and we know why don't we?)
& the US banks terrified of any European transaction. (Same comment and reason)

US credit cards are supposed to be chip based next fall. It is unreal that the CC companies have taken this long to implement more secure technology even though they will still not be requiring a pin. :banghead:

Later,
Dan

And we've actually already been to northern Scotland on our friends sailboat.

Beautiful, but they say they Norway is even prettier and far cheaper.

Scandinavia next summer certainly, fall maybe? Winter ????????????????

My wifey handles cold like a reptile. :eek::D She is only warm for a week or two in August and we live in the South. :rofl:

Having said that, we want to spend the winter in Ireland, UK and Norway. :eek::blush: Not quite sure how this will work out but that is the plan. :lol:

Norway will be interesting because of EU visa rules which hopefully will be changed by the time we try to visit. The owners of the Morgan's Cloud, Attainable Adventure Cruising, stayed over the winter in Norway. They loved the place and the people. Their website is a pay site so I don't know how much non members can read, http://www.morganscloud.com/2001/07/17/arrival-in-norway/.

They have several posts about staying in Norway from their visits around 2001. The visa rules were different back then.

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
US credit cards are supposed to be chip based next fall. It is unreal that the CC companies have taken this long to implement more secure technology even though they will still not be requiring a pin. :banghead:

Later,
Dan

Yes, BUT, our implementation of the chip is a bit different and it's unclear to me why, other than just bc.

Our cards do NOT have an embedded pin.

The machine it's inserted into then prints a receipt that we sign.

It works Iv the grocery store, and restaurant and, NO where else for me so far.

I'm guessing that some idiot who hadn't tried using a cc all over Europe came up with this thinking, Americans will think they are more secure if they have to sign something.

.The problem is Europeans moved away from that model 20 years ago.

So nowadays CC are used for virtually all remote locations, parking on street, in garages, train stations, etc.

So in the Netherlands, nothing worked.
The only thing I could do was still get cash using my old noon chip card from atm.

My wifey handles cold like a reptile. :eek::D She is only warm for a week or two in August and we live in the South. :rofl:

Having said that, we want to spend the winter in Ireland, UK and Norway. :eek::blush: Not quite sure how this will work out but that is the plan. :lol:

Norway will be interesting because of EU visa rules which hopefully will be changed by the time we try to visit. The owners of the Morgan's Cloud, Attainable Adventure Cruising, stayed over the winter in Norway. They loved the place and the people. Their website is a pay site so I don't know how much non members can read, http://www.morganscloud.com/2001/07/17/arrival-in-norway/.

They have several posts about staying in Norway from their visits around 2001. The visa rules were different back then.

Later,
Dan

I've seen that site. There is a lot of info on cruisers forum. Check that out.

You are welcome to stay on Dauntless some time this winter.

Richard

Yes, BUT, our implementation of the chip is a bit different and it's unclear to me why, other than just bc.

Our cards do NOT have an embedded pin.

The machine it's inserted into then prints a receipt that we sign.

It works Iv the grocery store, and restaurant and, NO where else for me so far.

I'm guessing that some idiot who hadn't tried using a cc all over Europe came up with this thinking, Americans will think they are more secure if they have to sign something.

.The problem is Europeans moved away from that model 20 years ago.

So nowadays CC are used for virtually all remote locations, parking on street, in garages, train stations, etc.

So in the Netherlands, nothing worked.
The only thing I could do was still get cash using my old noon chip card from atm.

A good Forbes article on the subject:

More Secure Credit Cards With Chips Coming To The U.S. - Forbes

It's still moving way too slow. Cost is probably the biggest reason but meanwhile fraud continues to grow. This is the problem when you lag behind in technology. The cost to then catch up is often prohibitive. Think of ever POS card unit in the US which needs to be replaced.

Now in many cases, upon request, your US bank can provide Chip and Pin cards. Bank of America does so to corporate accounts and to others on request. Don't travel to Europe without one.

I've seen that site. There is a lot of info on cruisers forum. Check that out.

You are welcome to stay on Dauntless some time this winter.

Richard

Yes, that site is pretty good and worth the money. I really did not want to spend the dollars for the site but it has some very useful information. They have a post about trawler vs sail boats that is interesting. Part 1 was posted yesterday and their should be a second post soon. The article seems fair and correct so far.

Thanks for the invite! :thumb:

Later,
Dan

The reports I read said that the CC company did not want to use a pin because people would have a fit over having to remember the pin. There is some truth to that especially if one has a bunch of CC. I would still rather have a pin on the card.

I did not realize that the US cards would not work overseas. I just got an updated CC and I will be danged if I can tell if the card is chipped or not. Given that the switch over is next year, the card should have a chip.

A good Forbes article on the subject:

More Secure Credit Cards With Chips Coming To The U.S. - Forbes

It's still moving way too slow. Cost is probably the biggest reason but meanwhile fraud continues to grow. This is the problem when you lag behind in technology. The cost to then catch up is often prohibitive. Think of ever POS card unit in the US which needs to be replaced.

Now in many cases, upon request, your US bank can provide Chip and Pin cards. Bank of America does so to corporate accounts and to others on request. Don't travel to Europe without one.

Its not just the cards, it is the cost of new readers as well.

I guess I need to find out which, if any, of my CCs will work overseas. We are planning to go to China soon...

Very glad Richard mentioned the CC's. :thumb::D

Later,
Dan

You have no worries, cloning cards does not seem to have caught on in China yet.

If you weren't giving a pin, it doesn't have one.

China has people doing everything. Holland is the opposite.

Debating whether to leave Castletownbere tomorrow afternoon.

That will mean a full day Thursday going 060° against a NE wind of tbd strength.

Still waiting for my Paravane poll.

Ok.
Easterly winds next few days, but decreasing in strength tonight and tomorrow.
So, I got my new Paravane pole. Set me back €300. On the high side of what I hoped, but they even came by yesterday evening while I was out at dinner, and took old pole to remove the fittings.

I didn't realize till this morning when I went up to fly bridge to untie pole and remove the fittings.
At first I wondered why it wasn't tied as I had left it.

Then I realized it wasn't there at all.

Can't complain about that kind of service.

Probably leaving tomorrow. Wanted to leave today, as I had to take boat to other side of harbor, to facilitate install of new pole.

But cooler heads prevailed as Dolan pointed out to me the little ripples in the harbour meant big seas outside of it.

Nice to have local knowledge. Soak up as much as you can, it's valuable stuff. I'd rather have local knowledge than reading something from a book. Just sayin'

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom