A Krogen in Europe – A New Chapter Begins for Dauntless and its Intrepid Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would keep an enterprising cruiser from installing a fuel pump and meter on his boat, buying diesel in Libya and selling to other cruisers in Italy? Plenty of profit margin.

550 nm round trip / 3 nm per gallon is 183 gallons. If you hold 700 gallons that would leave 500 gallons to sell. $316 for 700 gallons in Libya, sell 500 gallons in Italy at a $2 per gallon discount equals $3000.

Guardia di finanza

They figured out that scam eons ago

I have seen flurries in Orlando,FL before.Technically not south Florida.More central,I believe.

I have seen flurries in South FLA. The snow actually stayed around overnight leaving a slight dusting on the cars. :eek::nonono::D

We should have had a snow day from work and school! :rofl:

Later,
Dan

Looks like the Europeans don't like to play together very well. :whistling:

Looks more like that Britain not only drive on the wrong site of the road.......

The Belgians were fining uk boats found with red diesel a couple of years ago; result revenue from marinas was down 80%.....

The Belgian gov announced at the beginning of this year that any Boat coming from the UK or Ireland that had red/green diesel in its tanks was ok as long as they had a docket to prove they bought the fuel in the Uk/Eire and not in Europe where it's illegal.

Sorted!

The Belgians were fining uk boats found with red diesel a couple of years ago; result revenue from marinas was down 80%.....

The Belgian gov announced at the beginning of this year that any Boat coming from the UK or Ireland that had red/green diesel in its tanks was ok as long as they had a docket to prove they bought the fuel in the Uk/Eire and not in Europe where it's illegal.

Sorted!

On the ticket has to be printed "TAX PAYED IN FULL" and is only allowed in the standard Fuel Tanks. Same counts for the Netherland and France but without proof that you paid all the taxes you risk severe vines.

Last edited:
On the ticket has to be printed "TAX PAYED IN FULL" and is only allowed in the standard Fuel Tanks. Same counts for the Netherland and France but without proof that you paid all the taxes you risk severe vines.

As far as I know...

Just as Under maritime law vessels have the right to free passage through any seaway, Vessels will be deemed to have legal fuel onboard if it was legal to use that fuel in the vessel in the country where it was purchased.

eg: If you bought duty-free fuel in Gibraltar, you can legally use the fuel that's already in your tanks in Spain. In theory you could do this everyday.

As far as I know...

Just as Under maritime law vessels have the right to free passage through any seaway, Vessels will be deemed to have legal fuel onboard if it was legal to use that fuel in the vessel in the country where it was purchased.

eg: If you bought duty-free fuel in Gibraltar, you can legally use the fuel that's already in your tanks in Spain. In theory you could do this everyday.

Shure, but doesn't help a lot when the Customs tie up your vessel till you pay your vines. Welcome to Europe.....

Richard if you need clear diesel for heating the crew I'll be home in 2 weeks and can fix you up, in flavours too !

An awful lot of us would like to be out of the unelected Evil Union of Europe

Last edited:
Thanks Irish Rambler,

I'm full now.

Hello Richard,
When we visited you in Waterford we spoke of many things and swapped a lot of info. I said at the time I was going to bring our Broom 42 down the Shannon and round the SW coast in June/July 2015 on our way down to the Med via the French canals.
I'm doing the navigation forward planning and notice there are few marina's between Castletownbere and Crookhaven, did you do it one hop ? I can't find any marina's in the pilot books but there may be a new development that's not in the pilot book.
Your advice will be well appreciated.
If you can find a 'Shell English Channel Pilot book by Tom Cunliffe it will be a good help to you on your journey.
Geoff & Evelyne 'Snow Mouse'

We look forward to hearing of your next adventure.

The only marina I know of is in Lawrence Cove, on the NW part of Bere Island. I left my boat there for a week in Sept. The only downside to the place is that it is on an island with about 5 people living there and the ferry service to Castletownbere is every few hours.

If you look at a map, the marina is just off the ferry route.

Or go to the wall in Castletownbere.

When I left there, to come to Waterford, I anchored by the Old Head of Kinsdale.

By the way, I am actually thinking of coming around and up the Shannon this spring.

Hello Richard,
Thanks for the info, we're planning on going to the wall in Castletown as the good lady wants to stock up the freezer with lobsters,fresh fish etc.
Going North from Castletownbere is Valencia, Fenit, Dingle and Kilrush marina's, all just a good days cruise apart,the scenery is breath-taking.
The trip up to Limerick is grand( pontoon moorings) but the height limit for entry into the Shannon at the Sarsfield bridge is 3.45m. draft is 1.5 m.
We'll keep in touch and we'll crack a bottle or two when we meet, we're leaving Belturbet in the centre of Ireland on the 14th of June heading south so keep in touch.
For planning we use the South & West of Ireland pilot and charts from Imray Lawrence, both available online.
Good Luck.
p.s. If anyone's interested we can start a new thread with photo's to cover the trip.

Last edited:
Sorry Richard but it would have been wrong of me let you spend time,effort & money just to find your route blocked in Limerick.
It's an exceptional piece of coastline as it incorporates the 'Ring of Kerry' a very popular (from the landside) tourist attraction
That's why boats over here have a lower profile, to accommodate the bridges on the extensive Inland Waterways network both in Ireland and Europe.

Attachments

• Bridge.jpg
    Bridge.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 103
Sorry Richard but it would have been wrong of me let you spend time,effort & money just to find your route blocked in Limerick.
It's an exceptional piece of coastline as it incorporates the 'Ring of Kerry' a very popular (from the landside) tourist attraction
That's why boats over here have a lower profile, to accommodate the bridges on the extensive Inland Waterways network both in Ireland and Europe.

I've got a feeling Sarsfield bridge is tidal; maybe you could squeeze under at LW....

I've got a feeling Sarsfield bridge is tidal; maybe you could squeeze under at LW....

Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Sarsfield bridge is 3.45m. draft is 1.5 m.

Although the average tidal diffirence at Limerick is about 5 meters but this effect the draft too.

CeesH

The figures I quoted come from Waterways Ireland, we all know about 'official' figures.

Our boat is 1 '' too wide for the Barrow canal but it's just too close, all it takes is a bulging lock wall and it's the end of our dreams.
If Richard did limbo under there's still the draft above the hydro electric lock.
I'd love to see him up there enjoying the lake system and Irish hospitality but I would never forgive myself if it all went wrong and he damaged his beautiful ship.

Stinkin bridge.

I certainly will check it out, but really appreciate the heads up.

I'm definitely getting antsy and think a spring cruise is just what the doctor ordered.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Stinkin bridge.

I certainly will check it out, but really appreciate the heads up.

I'm definitely getting antsy and think a spring cruise is just what the doctor ordered.

Other suggestions are welcome.

I'm afraid you're stuck where you are in Waterford until the Atlantic winter storms dissipate.

The bad news: if you want to cruise up the west coast Paddy's day in March is the first really reliable settled spring period where you will get a month of good weather. But of course there are shorter settled periods In between during February.

Other option is to head east if you get a few good days to the Solent, a lovely area protected by the Isle of Wight. Lots of places to visit like the famous sailing centre at Cowes, the rest of island is very like Ireland. But it is expensive.

Richard if your getting ants in the pants and need a little cruise, why not go up to New Ross on the river Barrow, you can visit the 'Dunbrody' one of the oldest working Irish emigrant ships.
The people in the marina are very very nice, ask for John Dimond, he's a really super guy and again so very helpful.
He'll give you help and advice if you'd like to cruise 'The 3 sisters' estuary rivers, The Barrow, Suir & Nore, you'll be able to get under the New Ross bridge at low tide.
If you visit the New Ross boat club ask for Catherine Malone, another good friend of mine in the Inland Waterways, they're the nicest of people you could ever wish to meet.
Enjoy the Irish hospitality

Last edited:
Yes. but i would not leave until April, and would watch the weather for a good weatehr window for the 4 day trips I would make to get there.

Also, I don't want to go someplace expensive. I did to save money for my heater before summer starts!

I can't seem to find a cruising guide for the inland waters of Ireland. Any suggestions?

Hi Richard.
If you wish to go to New Ross, go on a rising tide and you'll be there in a couple of hours, marina on the right as you approach the road bridge, can't miss it. Supermarkets Aldi & Lidl close to the marina for resupply.
The marina is no more expensive than Waterford and if you don't like it you can always go back.
If you ask around the marina for John Dimond, he'll get you a guide/chart for the Barrow,Suir & Nore known locally as 'The 3 Sisters' rivers.
For information on the rest of the Irish Inland Waterways contact info@waterwaysireland .com and they'll post you some free guides.

The route we took was from Kilmore Quay, Milford haven, Padstow(very nice), Falmouth, Plymouth, Brixham, Weymouth, Poole, Lymington, Southampton(for the Boat show),Portsmouth,Brighton, Eastbourne,Dover, Dunkirk.
Our cruising speed is 7 knots and we used the tides to help push us along.
The longest days cruise was 12 hours from Padstow(outgoing tide to Lands End, then incoming tide) to Falmouth
The rest of the days cruises along the coast were from just a few hours up to 1 tide (6/7 hours), we checked the local tourist office's before we arrived at the marina's for the local attractions/hostelries. We always moored at the town quays where possible as they were cheaper than the large marina's.
We highly recommend treating it as a leisurely summer cruise rather than a charge along the coast and miss so many interesting things..

We will follow the same route this summer as it is a most enjoyable journey.

Last edited:
@Richard.

Came across this website with tons of info about Irish Harbours and inland waterways.

Link footsteps

CeesH

@Richard.

Came across this website with tons of info about Irish Harbours and inland waterways.

Link footsteps

CeesH

Thanks so much.

I'll check it out in the coming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom