Old 05-01-2018, 01:24 AM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
See the videos? Looks like itís there, thatís about all I know.
Steve

Check out if you can find new governor spring. Best to get OEM or aftermarket clone if possible... due to the exact tension needed. Governor spring helps maintain correct rpm and resulting hertz. They can get weak over time and no longer hold throttle at correct level. What make, model and year gen set is it? Very simple fix if that is reason for yours running poorly.

Best luck!

Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #22
Guru

What`s that drip in the top right of both videos?

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Those plugs don't look like the problem. I'm sticking with fuel starvation.
Does the gen exhaust have any smoke when surging?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #24
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Plugs look good. Might even be a touch lean. And engine sounds good.

What the heck is dripping on unit? Looks like water dripping right on the carb!!

Main gov spring looks ok. Little tension spring on actual throttle linkage is broken, that one keeps slack in linkage taken up in one direction to increase stability. What you have is governor instability.

Choke is working fine.

Throttle stop (basically idle screw, but not on this app) should be set so at no load warmed up, throttle is almost bumping the stop. This helps in stability.

There is an idle mixture adjusting screw that can play into stability, try adjusting that a turn in or turn out.

Any friction on throttle mechanism hurts stability, a touch of lube on all moving parts can help.

I'd still go through the carb. Water dripping on carb may have throttle plate shaft sticking.

Gas gennie carb/governors are a PITA. Lots of things have to be perfect for them to run right. They drive me nuts.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #25
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. The drop is from my fresh water shower hose. It drips a little when the system is pressurized. It normally drips onto the cover and then runs down, but obviously I had it slid back to get to the carb and plugs. Trust me, it’s on the list.

I know the plugs looked good, but they were fouled.

When it’s running well, there’s no smoke. When it starts to foul the plugs, surge and bog, it’ll smoke and I can smell rich exhaust.

Once it dies, sometimes I get can get it to retire after some time, like I did in that first video. But sometimes it won’t fire at all, even months later. When I got to the boat a few days ago, I tried to start it and it wouldn’t fire. I pulled the plugs (pic I posted) and they smelled like gas.

I feel like it’s running like my old weed eater. Would start right up but would bog like crazy if I gave it too much throttle and load.

The throttle and choke levers move very smoothly.

One thing I will add, so I changed the plugs and then headed to the airshow. Once there, it started and ran great, powering everything but the ac’s. It was smooth and super quiet. Almost couldn’t hear it. We were impressed. 30 minutes later I shut it down. Fast forward and hour and a half and I start it up. This time it was surging and bogging. I put a small load on the trying to clear it up and it was just getting worse. I shut it down before it died. Then I restarted it and it was worse than before. Then I started it again and took a video yet it didn’t last more than 5 seconds before bogging and dying. Then it wouldn’t refire at all until the next day when I took that video of it.

So back to the weed eater. What causes a small carbbed engine to bog when you give it full power? Probably not enough fuel due to a clogged jet or something.

I had a 40 cc 4 stroke dirt bike a few years ago that ran great, just had a bog when I opened the throttle. I took the carb apart and found the accelerator circuit completely try. There was a tiny piece of trash clogging the circuit. Cleaned it out and it fixed the problem.

I bet the carb needs to come apart. Anyone know what special tools required? Maybe an Allen wrench set along with a standard set of tools?
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #26
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
So what is the exact model number?
Otherwise we are all just guessing.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
So what is the exact model number?
Otherwise we are all just guessing.
I should have looked while I was there. Itís a Kohker 7.5 (I put 6.5 in the title by accident). The boat is a 1996, I think itís safe to assume itís original. I might go back down to the boat tomorrow to work on the generator.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #28
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Surging can be a dirty carb, the fuel flow is insufficient to the jets. Then it bogs, as it slows there is less demand and the fuel fills up again to the jets.

Typically if its a carb problem, if you hold the throttle steady so it can not move, it dies.
Is the main jet adjustable? If so open it up a little.

Surging can be a governor spring not placed in the right position in its linkages.

I would take apart the carb and clean it, you can soak it in white vinegar, rinse with water and blow out all passages with compressed air.

ARE you USING fuel stabilizer?? If not, then you should.
Gasoline today is terrible quality, having ethanol, it grows acetobacter, which makes vinegar and gums up the fuel and corrodes the metals. There is always some water dispersed in gasoline and the bacteria live in that water and consume the fuel. One thing fuel stabilizer does, it prevents the growth and the corrosion.

These old style carbs are open to the atmosphere along with the tank vent.
Your car does not have these issues as its most of the time sealed from the humid air. And much of the fuel system is plastic. Your car has a fuel system with a 2 way sealed tank fill cap, it can vent in and out but most of the time the valve stays shut, so the fuel stays good a long time. And at the engine, the injector tip is shut. A carb is always exposed to the humid air.

I use this Marine Stabil, in the larger bottle. My fuel system corrosion issues ceased.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/STA-BIL-2...&wl13=&veh=sem
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #29
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
What specifically have you really checked other than trying to run it periodically?

What kind of gas are you running it on? Octane? Ethylene?
Model number?
Do you have a manual? If not then you should arrange to get one.

We can keep throwing suggestions but it won't help if you only are trying to run it.

Fouled, sooty plugs are are usually too much fuel. As mentioned a faulty choke is often a cause but have you checked it for proper operation. Have you confirmed that the choke is actually operating? The levers may be free but the choke can still goof up.

Have you tried a cleaner such as SeaFoam?
Have you tried running the machine from a clean source of fuel such as a 1 or 2 gallon fuel jug?
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #30
Guru

City: gulf coast
There have been many similar reports over the years. New plugs often fix the problem so i doubt it is governor etc. if one cylinder gets fouled I would expect it to start of but not handle a load. I would try a higher heat range plug set after making sure the ignition is in good shape. I assume it runs on the same gas as the mains so that is probably not the issue.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #31
Guru

It pulls fuel from the right main tank. Mains are Marine Power 454’s (super fuel efficient��)

I have Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the main tanks right now and I plan on throwing another bottle in there with my next fill up.

Fuel is whatever they sell at the marine. I think it’s ethonol free?

I’m 3 1/2 hrs away from the boat, so far when we’ve on then boat, I’ve set aside a few hours to work on the gen but so far it’s been gathering information more than actually wrenching, aside from throwing plugs at it.

Both plugs look identical, so both plugs are getting the same fuel mixture. The plugs in that picture had very little use, but we’re fouled. I saved them, I’ll clean them and install them and I bet they’ll work.

So my brother has a kit car that uses a Subaru turbo 4 cylinder. It was idling one day as he was still sorting it out and it just died. It was running rich. It wouldn’t fire. For months we checked every single thing we could think of to figure out why it had no spark. Finally my dad pulled a plug and even though it looked fine, he sprayed carb cleaner on it and then we had spark. We replaced the plugs and it started right up. I honestly don’t understand how a plug that looks like what I pictured can be fouled, but it was.

Maybe I’ll just keep running cleaner through it and run the gen as much as I can. The one thing I do know is the PO never ran it, which is probably why I’m dealjng with this right now.

The boat is for sale. We’re going to be moving up to a larger boat with diesel, so hopefully I don’t have to deal with a gas generator much longer.

Thanks guys for your help. I think the plan is to run cleaner through it as and see if that helps, if not I’ll pull the carb and take it apart.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #32

City: florida
Just pull the carb and re-build it (order the parts before you go down), or at the very least take it down and clean it up as well as you can. And then run that thing hard and for as long as you can, put a good load on it, nothing worse for those Kohler's than sitting (or any gen really). What kind of boat are you trading up to?
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatruptcy View Post
Just pull the carb and re-build it (order the parts before you go down), or at the very least take it down and clean it up as well as you can. And then run that thing hard and for as long as you can, put a good load on it, nothing worse for those Kohler's than sitting (or any gen really). What kind of boat are you trading up to?
We really like 47í Jefferson sun Bridges or something comprobable. There are a few with 3 staterooms which we really like. Just tough finding one in our price range thatís in decent shape.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #34

City: florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
We really like 47í Jefferson sun Bridges or something comprobable. There are a few with 3 staterooms which we really like. Just tough finding one in our price range thatís in decent shape.
Cool, Im up the street from you in Cornelius and looked at doing the same thing on the weekend, bigger boat to take the family to. I have a two year old and teenagers so it's tough to get the schedules worked out, settled for an Albin on Lake Norman for now. Good luck on the gen.
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatruptcy View Post
Cool, Im up the street from you in Cornelius and looked at doing the same thing on the weekend, bigger boat to take the family to. I have a two year old and teenagers so it's tough to get the schedules worked out, settled for an Albin on Lake Norman for now. Good luck on the gen.
Oh no kidding! Iíll have to look for you on the lake. M

When we were looking for boats, we only looked at gas boats that could be shipped. We had no idea how we were going to like boating on the coast, and the travel to get to and from. Plus we werenít sure how our 3 year old was going to like it. Our plan was to do the coast thing for a year or two then ship it to Norman. But we love it so much. I wish I could afford to bring the Mainship to Norman and also have something on the coast, but I canít.

Whatís nice about our area is you can have a boat anywhere from Charleston to Wilmington and itís all just a 3 1/2 hr drive away. Itís really not that bad. And the amount of boat and fun that we can have in just a 3 day weekend is pretty crazy. Itíll be more difficult as our kids get older (4 yr old little girl and a 1 month old little boy), but we figure the experiences they are having is worth it.

Every time we go, about once a month, itís like a vacation. The car shuffle is the only thing that sucks, but thatís only when you are changing locations. In another week or two we are going to move the boat from Myrtle to Wilmington, so we are going to rent a car from here to myrtle, then again from Wilmington to home. But as much as the shuffle sucks, the journey is really fun.

Our plan is to get something larger with diesels and explore Florida, keys and the Bahamas. We can fly for free as long as there are open seats, so weíll take advantage of that and keep the boat in larger cities that have plenty of flights to and from. Itíll add a bit of a stress, but I think itíll be worth it.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #36
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Iíd find a young man who services small engines to have a look at it. He might start with cleaning the carb.

My son (small engine mechanic) cleaning the carb on my Merc 20 hp 4-stroke. It took him 30 minutes or less, once he had it off. Use Carb Cleaner. He says you cannot effectively clean the carb with an additive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eric Cleaning Merc 20 Carb 3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	76096
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eric Cleaning Merc 20 Carb 4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	76097

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Iíd find a young man who services small engines to have a look at it. He might start with cleaning the carb.

My son (small engine mechanic) cleaning the carb on my Merc 20 hp 4-stroke. It took him 30 minutes or less, once he had it off. Use Carb Cleaner. He says you cannot effectively clean the carb with an additive.

Attachment 76096
Attachment 76097

Jim
I agree. Injector cleaner wonít do anything about trash clogging a jet. Iíll take the carb apart tomorrow and blow everything out.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #38
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Once gas origin varnish has formed a spray cleaner or gas tank additive is useless.
If there is actual dirt inside the carb. a "cleaner" will not remove it.

Take the carb off and deal with it properly. A real soak in actual carb cleaner. Just be carefull to protect your hands, rubber gloves, as the chemicals are strong and will attack your skin. Read the directions. From a local Napa.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Once gas origin varnish has formed a spray cleaner or gas tank additive is useless.
If there is actual dirt inside the carb. a "cleaner" will not remove it.

Take the carb off and deal with it properly. A real soak in actual carb cleaner. Just be carefull to protect your hands, rubber gloves, as the chemicals are strong and will attack your skin. Read the directions. From a local Napa.
Yep, I agree. Iím on the boat now. Gen starts and runs great unless I turn on an AC. It canít handle the load, starts surging and dies. Hope I find something in there. Iíll post pics tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #40
Guru

A boat on my marina had somewhat similar genset symptoms,though diesel. Load would cause it to blow black smoke, emit burning smells, and die.Turned out not an engine issue but a problem driving the generation end, making excessive demand on the engine. YMMV.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote