Old 01-01-2022, 11:41 PM   #61
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Weather has slowed me down a bit. Went down today and removed deck plates. Installed port and starboard control valves and the hydraulic cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8462.jpg   IMG_8465.jpg   IMG_8464.jpg   IMG_8452.jpg  
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:09 PM   #62
Guru

I have the hydraulics from the main valve, thruster valves completed and am working on the tank,supply line and return line. Its going slower than i was expecting. I am used to working in a shop environment and under estimated the hassle of running back and forth from the boat . I should have the hydraulics completed this week then its on to wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8487.jpg   IMG_8486.jpg   IMG_8485.jpg  
Old 01-09-2022, 07:13 PM   #63
Guru

I am not sure why some of my pictures upload sideways?
Old 01-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #64
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Different bits of software interpret the EXIF rotation tag differently. Makes it appear upright for example on your phone but sideways on the computer, or on a forum. There are tools that allow you to edit the EXIF data to fix, but it is fiddly.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:46 PM   #65
Guru

I got the 5 gallon tank mounted and the supply line in early this week but had to stop since i needed a cummins gasket to mount the pump to the pto adapter .Gasket will be here Saturday (tomorrow). Once the pump is mounted i can cut and size the two hoses so should be done with this phase early next week. I also mounted the gyro control box.I only spent 4 or 5 hours this week due to being stopped with the gasket issue. I also ordered a garmin plug/cord for wiring the gps to the controller.
Sidepower provides all the wire but they wait for the customer to provide the lengths since all installs are different.I expect the wire next week so should be about right for timing. I will make the pump connections then do a run test to check for leaks before proceeding with the wiring.
The weather has been more forgiving here the week.
Attached Thumbnails
tank.jpg  
Old 01-14-2022, 07:14 PM   #66
DDW
Guru

Can you refresh my memory, which Cummins?

I'm wondering if a pto adapter for a QSB is a "thing".
Old 01-14-2022, 08:40 PM   #67
Guru

The qsb 6.7 has an auxiliary drive port ar the rear of the engine. This is typically used for raw water pumps. In my case i am using it for a SAE A 2 bolt pump which requires an adapter. I guess anything one might want to connect to this point would need an adapter.
https://www.sbmar.com/product/cummin...-tooth-spline/
Old 01-15-2022, 12:18 AM   #68
DDW
Guru

Thanks - appears to be a 6.7 and not a 5.9 solution.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:36 AM   #69
Guru

I am not sure how these are handled across the line of products. I would think something similar.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:52 PM   #70
Guru

The last item to get worked out was the pump. Got the installation done this morning. I had to try a few variations to get it to fit cleanly.The challenge was to keep 1 1/4 supply line and also use sweeping tube fittings. Going to fill with fluid tomorrow and test run the system.I will try and get photos of each section before closing things up. I think i have about 50 hours in so far.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8533.jpg   IMG_8534.jpg  
Old 01-22-2022, 12:45 AM   #71

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
When I double clamp something I set the clamps 180 degrees from one another as a best practice. This can prevent pinching in one spot where the screws are.
Not sure if this is something that needs to be considered with the clamps you are using but thought I'd mention it.
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #72
Guru

City: Vermont
It's all looking really good!
Old 01-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #73
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRascal View Post
When I double clamp something I set the clamps 180 degrees from one another as a best practice. This can prevent pinching in one spot where the screws are.
Not sure if this is something that needs to be considered with the clamps you are using but thought I'd mention it.
At any rate that's the low pressure return hose. I really like those bolt clamps, too.
I think they have a full circle design to prevent hose damage and leaks. Very nice!
Old 01-24-2022, 10:52 PM   #74
Guru

All the hydraulics are done. Had a little grief getting the pump primed. I only brought 5 gallons of fluid and it needs almost 10. Pressured tested and no leaks. Cut the floor plates where needed for the hoses. Next up is wiring. Keypower supplied all the wiring color coded with very simple diagrams.Running pressure out of the box was 1500psi so i will reduce to 800psi.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:31 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
Running pressure out of the box was 1500psi so i will reduce to 800psi.

Why reduce? Does the Keypower system want to run at a lower pressure?
Old 01-25-2022, 11:11 AM   #76
Guru

Keypower said they set the pressure at 1000 once the system is installed but 800 will work. I have worked with hydraulic systems for 50 years mostly very high pressure jacking systems. I have never ran into a system where the static pressure is artificially raised.In this system a relief valve controls the pressure to make it constant. The stabilizer control valves have all 4 ports closed so when opened they immediately have pressure for control. I think the reason for designing this way is to reduce any lag time. I think what one would see is the pressure gauge setting at say 1000psi then bouncing down as the fins are being moved.
My only reason for reducing the static pressure is heat. Going over relief builds heat and the higher the pressure equals more heat. One nice thing with this system is the main control valve can be turned off allowing the system to basically coast in neutral.
For those with fins what do you see as operating pressures?
Old 01-25-2022, 12:46 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
Keypower said they set the pressure at 1000 once the system is installed but 800 will work. I have worked with hydraulic systems for 50 years mostly very high pressure jacking systems. I have never ran into a system where the static pressure is artificially raised.In this system a relief valve controls the pressure to make it constant. The stabilizer control valves have all 4 ports closed so when opened they immediately have pressure for control. I think the reason for designing this way is to reduce any lag time. I think what one would see is the pressure gauge setting at say 1000psi then bouncing down as the fins are being moved.
My only reason for reducing the static pressure is heat. Going over relief builds heat and the higher the pressure equals more heat. One nice thing with this system is the main control valve can be turned off allowing the system to basically coast in neutral.
For those with fins what do you see as operating pressures?

Makes sense, thanks.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:25 AM   #78
Guru

Not much news. had to jump on another project but thankfully wring is whats left and all my cutters,crimpers,hot knife ect will be on board.Most connections are molex and i grabbed a bag.
I did add up the hose cost and it was around $1600.00 . I think i will wire friday saturday.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:00 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That is a bunch of hose, glad I am not buying it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #80
Guru

I got the main runs done today. The engine room wiring is fairly straight forward so i decided to tackle the worst first. i needed a wire to the overhead for the display then a power run to the dc panel on the port side of the helm and a gps basically the same location as the power. This required some disassembly.I have all the runs done and most everything put back but i need a helper to get the ceiling panels put back. One panel has two speakers that are heavier then one would think and i cant get the panel up accurately. The wife is going to come down with me and help with the panels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8569.jpg   IMG_8570.jpg