Old 08-11-2017, 05:19 AM   #41
FF
Guru

"Any ideas and suggestions appreciated."

Creating and keeping up an inventory is a huge , never ending task.

We simply store like items together, in a single location.

Engine parts , one drawer of a file cabinet, water pumps , bilge pumps , a milk crate ,
lights , bulbs electrical stuff , another milk crate.

Simple to go to the storage , look thru it and know what is available .

But ours is a simple boat .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #42
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I use an iOS app called ShipShape. It resides on the device so no internet connection is needed. It has a pretty robust inventory feature, with customizable lists by location (forward berth, ER, etc). Also customizable checklists for both work projects and procedure reminders (things not to forget when starting up, leaving the dock, leaving the boat, etc.). Maintenance schedules and costs can all be tracked and it has a trip log. Nice and compact and very intuitive to use.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #43
Guru

I found the most useful aspect of keeping an inventory list was identifying and keeping track of part numbers, suppliers and prices paid. I sort of knew what I had "in stock" and generally where it was. but the system made re-ordering a breeze.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Funny, I never noticed this was a resurrected thread from 3 years ago. I saw the last posts, then went to the beginning, but never looked at the dates.

I guess it's a timeless topic, because it seems to have regained momentum.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I use an iOS app called ShipShape. It resides on the device so no internet connection is needed. It has a pretty robust inventory feature, with customizable lists by location (forward berth, ER, etc). Also customizable checklists for both work projects and procedure reminders (things not to forget when starting up, leaving the dock, leaving the boat, etc.). Maintenance schedules and costs can all be tracked and it has a trip log. Nice and compact and very intuitive to use.
It looks not to bad. But how do you do backups? Do you simply have the app on multiple devices, and can that be done with just one licence? I'd prefer something that would reside on my MacBook, which does get backed up regularly.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #46

City: Alexander
Mine backs up to the cloud .
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #47
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I guess it's a timeless topic, because it seems to have regained momentum.
I'm glad it did...When we bought our 30 year old boat about 5 months ago I was give a big bin of documents. Receipts, work orders, oil analysis, manuals, etc. Many of them important, at least to me. The tranny coolers I was told were replaced 3 years ago, weren't. They were pressure tested and cleaned only. They are many years older. My generator has had poor oil analysis since 1995. No surprises and less worries when I got yet another one back. Wouldn't it be good to go through and record all of this info if only for posterity sake? I started searching for software to record the history as well as current events, upcoming maintenance schedule, etc. Quickly found the big ones, the "Yacht/Fleet Management" software, too expensive for my needs both initially and ongoing. Nice but...I don't need it. To me any cost beyond maybe the fee for an app or a one time $39.95 charge for more robust software would be a waste.

I looked at some apps and a few software program but nothing really got me. I haven't tried ShipShape pointed out above but I will. Sure wish I could find something. Right now I have the basics down in an Excel workbook. Different tab for each subject i.e. port engine, starboard, generator, repairs, hours log. It works but there has to be a more user friendly database solution that gives me easy search and lists, etc. I haven't gone back in history with my bin of documents yet. The last thing I want is to enter them twice. My "want's are:

1. All the basic info on the boat. Equipment part numbers, serial numbers etc.
2. Hours/trip log
3. Inventories. What, where and how many. Preferably broken into categories and searchable. Do I have a XYZ? It brings it up and tells me. What is in the blue bin by the port engine? It brings up everything in the bin.
4. Maintenance records including suggested hours/time between service as well as what I have coming up. "Oil change due in 25 more hours". At least be able to look ahead and see it is coming.
5. Repair records. What when where and why, cost.
6. Contacts. Much like any other contact list.

I guess I just described what pretty much everyone wants or needs!
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #48
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I need to find a better way to keep track of everything (especially consumables and spares) on board, ie what I have and where I have it. Ideally, I will find some well thought out software, but worst case I will develop some kind of excel spreadsheet, maybe in some kind of sortable matrix format, with columns being storage spaces and rows being the stuff. I will need categories and subcategories.

Even after it's set up, I will need to find a way to keep it up to date and accurate.

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.
Aw Jeeezzz, I'm so busy fixing stuff, who should have the time to keep track of the crap I'm using just to get her going again.

"If you ain't using it, it dont break".

Cheers, Crusty
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #49
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
It looks not to bad. But how do you do backups? Do you simply have the app on multiple devices, and can that be done with just one licence? I'd prefer something that would reside on my MacBook, which does get backed up regularly.
You can back up and share on multiple devices using Drop Box--something I badly need to do.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote