Old 06-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #21
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I keep an informal log and record multi-day trips, any mechanical issues, fuel usage, hours run, description of anchorages, and unusual weather or sea states.
In the maintenance section, besides recording general maintenance, I jot down notes for projects such as measurements, materials needed, part numbers, or anything else that may escape my memory. There's more, but I can't remember what.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #22

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I keep a manual log book. After every cruise I log the date, hours, fuel, oil level (out and return figures). I also note crew, destination, anything noteworthy, like, RPM's, turbo pressure, & speed at WOT. In this log I also notes fueling and maintenance details, highlighting the fuel notes in blue and the maintenance notes in yellow.

I keep a small notebook at helm where I jot down anything pertinent or noteworthy. Some of these notes are transferred to the prime log later.

I wish there was a good on-line program that would provide better access. If I were better at Xcel spreadsheets I create my own, but this suffices until something better is learned. Probably will learn a better log on this thread!

Thanks!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #23
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
A traditional log has periodic piloting entries for position, speed, change of course etc. No one has mentioned it but I save the GPS track, which has all of this stuff in great detail. I do keep a log book, but it has only the other stuff: anchoring conditions, weather conditions, maintenance related things like fuel, water and battery levels. I wish the MFDs would log weather conditions in the XML GPS track as well, but none seem to.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #24

City: Orange Beach, AL
I keep a maintenance log, including any updates/adds (new AC, etc). Also keep a fishing log. Location, catch, bait, etc.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I would counter a previous post that a maintenance log is useful when selling the boat.... the major details log is most useful in court....

Without one, you may need the maintenance log for the quick and needed sale if the judgement doesn't go your way..... .....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: NorWyn
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
When we bought our boat...no logs were available....maintenance or trips. So far so good, regardless.

To me, as a buyer, at the time, I would have appreciated where she had been and what the work history was.

I keep a basic “on board” paper log respecting hours, trips and fuel/maintenance etc

I also keep a word document log on my lap top with more data respecting trip details, mechanical issues, receipts, folks on board etc.

I enjoy doing it and would hope any prospective purchaser down the road would get value from it. At some point I will attach photos and gussy it up but for now that is it...
NorWyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #27
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
For me the log serves many functions. As mentioned by others miles traveled, fuel burned a blog of interesting (be they good or bad) points, maintenance and such. Most importantly a navigation tool.

The amount of navigation detail varies with my local knowledge and the conditions. When on my 'home waters' a note of the time I passed a good landmark is all I need. When on unfamiliar waters or in poor conditions I will keep a notebook by the helm and note:
  • GPS lat / long
  • Auto pilot course to steer
  • Next way point
  • SOG
  • Engine RPM (which gives me the flat water speed)
When on unfamiliar waters for my final bit of redundancy or if you prefer paranoia I have an old Garmin Handheld with tracking turned on. When all the fancy stuff quits the Garmin tells me where I am and where I've been.

The idea is to almost instantly have some idea where I am when the magic gizmos quit. It hasn't happened often, but when it does it never happens at a good time / place.
Portage_Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I respect people keeping detailed logs for the reasons noted but I gave it up a few years ago. I obsess about so many other things related to the boat, Figured it’s one less thing to do. However, I do create a personal user manual where I am constantly adding information related to the boats systems, anchor spot notes, etc.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
A detailed maintenance log will very likely add resale value, or at the very least make the sale quicker. Unless it talks a lot about the seized engine loosened with Marvel Mystery oil. I weighed this heavily when buying recently.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #30
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I guess a buyer could get all this from my blog!!

Fall & Winter Projects | AtAnchor.com
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #31
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
A detailed maintenance log can be a positive or negative.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I bought a Logbook just after buying my boat. But after a couple of weeks did not bother with it. Instead, I then put date, engine hours, fuel used, distance and destination in a notebook. Every day or two I enter that into a spreadsheet where I can, and do, simple analysis.

Subsequently I added fuel purchases. The spreadsheet also has a maintenance log of oil changes and anode check/replacement, haulout and antifoul. By keeping it pretty simple it isn't a chore.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #33
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
A detailed maintenance log can be a positive or negative.
Not a negative if you leave out all the bad stuff......
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #34
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Slip Aweigh has a spiral 4x6 notebook. Usually fit two days on each page.

Simple: Date, who is on (initials, since I know everyone), from/to, time start/stop, fuel-water tank levels upon completion. BilgePump count number (Since I installed a bilge pump counter so I can tell when I return if/ how much the bilge pump comes on when I'm gone.) When appropriate, Fuel filter change and the hour. When I fuel, and how much (not much!) and when I pump the poop tank. Usually this takes 4 or 5 lines on the notebook. I usually note if it's exceptionally rough since that effects fuel filter performance too.

For me, the most important thing is hours between filter changes for filter maintenance. This actually lets me have a heads up on tank cleanliness with more frequent changes, I have to hook up the polisher. The fuel system vacuum gauge is important also, but only while running.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #35
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
...The State of Washington demanded my logs trying to establish taxes.

Geez!!! Un-bloody-believable!

I keep a log. Start and finish locations, departure and arrival times, engine hours and distance. Occasionally waypoints along the way, but not often. Occasional observations and issues.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #36

City: Washington
No logbook. I was on the flybridge backing out of our slip. Boat wouldn't shift into forward. Fast approaching docks and other boats in reverse. Run downstairs and find the logbook wedged between the shifters and the chart plotter. Haven't used it since.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
How much would you be willing to spend on a system to log all key information automatically?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #38
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Geez!!! Un-bloody-believable!

I keep a log. Start and finish locations, departure and arrival times, engine hours and distance. Occasionally waypoints along the way, but not often. Occasional observations and issues.

Jim
Well they didn't get them as they are not entitled to them, however it might help an owner to prove he was in the golden waters of Washington for less than 90 days.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well they didn't get them as they are not entitled to them, however it might help an owner to prove he was in the golden waters of Washington for less than 90 days.
That's how people prove regularly if they need to things such as that. In FL one of the common ones is to prove you left and re-entered the country. Simple log, marina fee in Bimini and fuel purchase in Bimini and you're ready to go. A lot of boats make their annual trips to Bimini and come back and renew their cruising permits.

A lot of people in border areas, FL/GA SC/GA NC/SC who keep good records of their time in the state they are not registered in.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #40

City: Toronto,ON
Vessel Name: Acadia ll
Vessel Model: CHB
I have kept a "basic" log since 1996; numbered chronologically, who, when,where,etc but I also did a travel blog I called a "Captain's Log" with detailed entries of my nautical travels which I would later print and attach to the basic page. This for friends & family and over the years I have had many people tell me they enjoyed them. Summary:

72 separate voyages - from Florida through Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico, Belize through Central Americas to Venezula, back around every Caribbean island I could find. Gulf coast from Texas to Florida.

Many exciting and wonderful trips (not done yet). If I ever wish to have details of any trip I have them right at my fingertips. Makes for great winter reading.

I highly recommend keeping at least a basic log.
Mike Lowthian is offline   Reply With Quote