Keeping Brass... well brass or is it bronze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rja7

Vessel Name
Allsorts
Vessel Make
CS30
Now that I’ve removed the layers of paint, I have what appears to be I believe brass (could it be bronze?) backing plates for horns (cleats) on the inside rail of our Island Gypsy 30. Very heavy & solid plates - about 4.25” x 5.25”. Looking to clean them up and get them shining once again. Question is what is best solution to keep them looking good. Do I apply a lacquer or wipe/spray sail lubricant over them or just keep polishing them from time to time once they appear to start to tarnish.

Anyone else tackled this before? Any recommended cleaning products to clean and/or maintain. Thanks in advance

My favorite product for polishing brass is Nevr Dull Magic Wadding. I think it works much faster than liquids like Brasso or paste like Flitz. I’ve never had any luck with coatings. My experience is that coatings fail unevenly. Then it’s a bitch to get them off so you can polish again. Just keep polishing until you get tired of it.

Attachments

• 9F7F36AE-3839-4E8A-AEE7-9C8E818C80D5.jpeg
    9F7F36AE-3839-4E8A-AEE7-9C8E818C80D5.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 217
In the navy, Bridge brass plates, phone call buttons, etc., had to be polished daily. Finger prints mark it. When the guys got tired of all the polishing, the brass was shined one last time, wiped with acetone to clear any polish residue, and sprayed with Varathane. I believe it was a plastic coating. This in in the 1960s and I don't know if the same stuff exists. But I suppose any durable coating that resists UV light is ok.
Anyway, the brass never had to be polished again, in my time on the ship.

It`s likely to be bronze. I had success at home varnishing a brass door knocker after polishing.

Flitz is also excellent to clean it up.
I've used spray varnish for a protective coat on interior brass items.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard eh? Mr. rj. I've never had much luck, thus far, with any coating I've put on brass/bronze that was exposed to the elements. I may have not tried the best material for doing so. All the coatings I've tried have peeled/chipped or worn off leaving a situation as Mr. HC describes. A mess that's difficult to remove.

I do know that whatever the manufacturers use for coating brass house numbers and door latches etc. does seem to last but I have no idea what it is.

The admiral wanted to shine up our bronze portholes, but after working on the first one for maybe 30 minutes and not even being half done - gave up. She decided they looked just fine in their natural state.

Nothing worked for me, including buffers, chemicals, steel wool, etc.

Just not worth the effort on outside metal, inside is different.

pete

Plates are bronze. They would require frequent hard abrasive polishing. I think the patina is 1) protective, 2) maintenance free and 3) Looks "yachty"

Clean them once to get the paint off, let them weather naturally.

I had all bronze hardware on my Great Lakes 33. While rebedding some I polished them up but it didn't last long. On the inside I sprayed with clear lacquer and after 6 years it was still perfect, but wouldn't do it outside. Enjoy the patina,it's not so bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom