Keenan Fuel Filtration system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
I follow a YouTube boating channel that recently installed and shared a bit of information on these systems. I just found an infomercial so to speak on them with YouTube as well. I didn’t see where on the company website I could obtain pricing and wasn’t exactly sure which model I would need so I just sent them an email through their system. I’m interested in pricing them and learning more about them.
We recently purchased a Grand Banks 42 classic with twin 120 Ford Lehman engines. Our goal is to begin doing the great loop next fall. Admittedly being new to this larger marine diesel engine world, I found this system to seemingly have quite a bit of flexibility, ease of use, and a nice audible alarm that can be installed to indicate when a problem is beginning to occur with fuel flow. Having said that there may be many systems out there just as good, possibly better priced, etc. I also wonder is the fuel polishing part of their apparatus something somewhat unique or available through many other choices? I found this to be pretty neat.
Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

What sort of element is used to do the filtering?

Readily available ,or just from them ?

Appear to use pleated drop in filters like racor. Looks impressive and well thought out. Nothing groundbreaking technically but appears to be a well packaged with remote alarm and switching via a integrated panel you mount at the helm. Doesn't look cheap.

Keenan Fuel filtering system

Regarding the filter element I reached out to owner and president and he is reply is pasted below. Having just acquired the boat recently I have not bought any filters for the existing system yet. Is the below price reasonable?

The fiter element is made by Racor and it is the same as the 500, normal prices are around $9 per element.

The Keenan system looks to be quite nice, and I'm sure costs a princely sum. Depending on the engine (return flow rate), polishing occurs naturally with a good fuel separator such as a Racor. As an example, my John Deere returns about 15 GPH at cruise. So a Racor 1000 will polish about 100 gallons in an 8 hour cruising day. If I had only one tank, that would probably be sufficient. A Ford Lehman on the other hand returns very little fuel, so there may be an advantage to a polisher.

I added a polisher / transfer pump to my boat as I have 2 tanks and wanted to be able polish and transfer fuel. If you're going to the trouble of either adding an additional separator to each engine or a polishing system, bigger is better. While the Racor 500 element the Keenan system uses is ok, the filter in the Racor 900 and the filter in the 1000 are exponentially larger in capacity.

Depending on your engines and how your fuel plumbing is run, will help to determine whether a polishing system or an upgraded separator to each engine makes the most sense.

Couple of pictures of my polisher / transfer system:

20220117_133431.jpg

20220117_133458.jpg

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom