Kdp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant TD

66668047-9EE9-43A5-A6F0-FD81E06AF378.jpeg

7F659DC1-0F6B-4B5A-ADDC-49DA2CBCD90B.jpeg

25ED95DC-E433-4B36-A6DF-69F005890C01.jpeg

CF8CAB72-2D8F-40C2-90B5-24DF82BE1711.jpeg

82C4AAD1-D865-4123-8FA9-396CF3FCC6C5.jpeg

It’s been a while since I have mentioned the KDP in the 5.9 Cummins Diesel. It has been said that the KDP is only an issue in hot rodded pickup trucks but this is not true as it does happen in boats. The preventable fix can be done in two to three hours and at as little cost less than $10.00. If ignored, and left to chance, it could be removing the valve covers, rocker arms, push rods, tapped cover and hi-pressure pump and removing the cam shaft to get to a broken cam gear drive housing. This is in addition to doing the two to three hour fix. I wish someone would have been kind enough to bring this issue to me prior to having to do the multi hour repair. I was fortunate as all I had to do was the above. It could have cost me a whole engine if the KDP had dropped and lodged within the timing gears and not just the housing.

KDP = Killer Dowel Pin issue on 1989-1998 12 valve Cummins 5.9L.

Thanks for posting this reminder. I have a 12 valve in my F350 and it’s been on the list to see if it’s been done or not. I need to make it more of a priority.

Sorry this happened to you.

What specific model engine was this from and what year? Which injection pump? Is this a marine Cummins or a converted truck engine?

I was told by an internet Cummins "guru" that this never happened in boat engines. So seeing is believing.

I also believe that the marine engines are assembled in a different facility than the truck engines. I know that was the case in 1999 when I bought a new one for a repower.

I had a 1991 Cummins in a Dodge pickup and did a fix on mine and several others.
I have also seen many pictures of damage in truck engines similar to yours.

I also know of one guy who went to fix his, discovered the pin was missing and in the oil pan with zero damage to anything. Talk about luck. :eek:

Last edited:
I have never seen a marine 210 hp with a Bosch 7100 series inline pump or "P" pump as the Dodge truck guys refer to it. They normally have the CAV rotary pump.

And the trucks of that era used the Bosch rotary pump or "VE" pump.

I have never seen a marine 210 hp with a Bosch 7100 series inline pump or "P" pump as the Dodge truck guys refer to it. They normally have the CAV rotary pump.

And the trucks of that era used the Bosch rotary pump or "VE" pump.

I don’t think the type of pump matters...the kdp was an issue on all of the 12 valve 5.9’s.

I don’t think the type of pump matters...the kdp was an issue on all of the 12 valve 5.9’s.

Maybe. I'm trying to understand the origin of the engine, marine or over the road.

Do you have the engine serial number and CPL number? That would let us trace it back.

Back
Top Bottom