Old 08-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Kayaks on trawlers?

Thinking about carrying 2 kayaks on our 34 ft Mainship Pilothouse. Initial thought was to carry them on the Pilothouse roof. Then got to thinking. What about carrying them hanging down from the stainless rails? The kayaks we are talking about are Cobra Fish 'N Dive. They are about 12 feet long and weigh about 50 lbs.

Thoughts?
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljk View Post
Thinking about carrying 2 kayaks on our 34 ft Mainship Pilothouse. Initial thought was to carry them on the Pilothouse roof. Then got to thinking. What about carrying them hanging down from the stainless rails? The kayaks we are talking about are Cobra Fish 'N Dive. They are about 12 feet long and weigh about 50 lbs.

Thoughts?
They make swing in/out kayak holders for stainless rails...my buddy has them on his sailboat...convenient as you can slide the yaks in and out for launching/retrieving pretty easily.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
I carry a Dirigo 106 on my Gulfstar 36. Fits well on the front deck, up against the port rail. Don't use a dinghy any more (although I would if I were in cruising mode, as opposed to the river-rat mode that I am in now), since the kayak serves the purpose.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
I assume you're talking outside the rails. Only you know where and how you boat, but up here in the PNW we have locks...we raft to other boats...we have covered moorage, all of which would be incompatible with that arrangement.

So...imagine you're at a marina with a public walkway on one side. OK, someone walking down the dock might be able to avoid your kayak overhanging the dock. But imagine a narrow finger pier...and trying to maneuver past your kayak. If not you, then the folks on the other side of the finger pier.

I was able get get mine - Perception Acadias, also 12' and 49 pounds - on my pilothouse roof and still be able to open my PH hatches and not interfere with all the other gear up there.
Attached Thumbnails
RefugioProfile.jpg  
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'm considering 15' 60lb yaks on the cabin roof. Riding on the roof is not a problem or pulling them up.

Our problem is getting into the kayaks from the boat. I envision using our hook ended cap rail ladder to board the kayaks. I've figured out a way to hold the kayak roll-wise while we step off the ladder on and into the kayak. Put together a harness that would attach to the cabin roof consisting of two lines exactly the right length to become tensioned when one foot is placed in the kayak. Aluminum carabiners and very lightweight lifting eyes would hold the kayak firm and steady for boarding.

Of course this would'nt be required on boats w a swim step. And I have quite a few projects ahead of the kayaks on the priority list. But I think my system will work well.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
I carry a 21 foot tandem on the port rail in the 'stirrups' that others have described. We rarely do anything port to but when we do, we just flop the kayak onto the walk around deck for that period we need access to the port side (washing the boat, going into the slings). The 'stirrups' fold in flush. Since we have these hangers up toward the bow we can dock to port with or without moving the kayak.
Picture below is from this weekend when we anchored in Eagle Harbor and kayaked in to have a bite at Docs. Took the shot with a phone paddling back out. As you can see, the dinghy sits quietly on the cabin top waiting for us to return. The kayak in this type of hanger is far more convenient for these short jaunts in good weather.
To Eric's point about boarding: I guarantee you we are not young and we are not gymnasts, but if you look at the picture you can see a side gate open and we bale over the gunwale there and into the kayak with no problem. Just ahead of that gate if you look close you can see the two hangars waiting for the kayak to be dropped back into them. With the kayak weighing about 90#, that is a bit tough to do single handed though I have done it and will again. With the two of us, easy with a rope on each end. I really like this set up and think we might use the kayak less if up on the cabin roof.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0261.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Great input Bill,
And perhaps we can just hold on to the ladder while we board the yak.
The 21' double is rock stable compared to our singles. But our singles are 24" wide. Not the usual 22-23".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #8

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
They make swing in/out kayak holders for stainless rails...my buddy has them on his sailboat...convenient as you can slide the yaks in and out for launching/retrieving pretty easily.
Like these? Sports Equipment Racks

Right now, we're using a SUP as our "dinghy," strapped to the rails with bungee cords. I've also been trying to think of the best way to mount a kayak instead. Looks like this may be the solution. Thanks for cluing us in on these psneeld.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Mr. Jim,
Yes, mine are most similar to SR125 on your link though I think they are some other brand. Very similar.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
Guru

Question for the guys who carry rotomolded kayaks in hangers in the sun: do you notice deformation in the hulls? Do you care?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
ljk

Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Great tips all, thanks a bunch! Now I am am thinking about using the sling to carry them inside the bow rail up towards the front of the boat instead of on the side. That way, I still have side egress to the bow while underway, and they won't be in the way for docking, rafting, locking through, etc.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #12
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6542.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	43076Love my davits.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #13

City: Washington
We have two Hobie Kayaks on our flybridge rails. They are 11.5' and 55 lbs. We've had them for two years or so now. They are the best things we've added to the boat. We use them just about everywhere we go.

Pretty easy for two of us to get them up and down. We pull them down and set them at an angle on the stern railing, then lower them into the water with a line on the bow and stern handles. We use the swim step to get in and out of them. Getting in is easy. Getting out is not as graceful. Our dinghy tips up on the stern so we have to put it in the water to use the kayaks.

Refugio, I haven't noticed any deformity due to the racks at this point. Maybe too early to tell.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Question for the guys who carry rotomolded kayaks in hangers in the sun: do you notice deformation in the hulls? Do you care?
I care. Have not noticed any deformation, but certainly agree (in theory anyway) that it could lead to structural deformation. I use 303 on my kayak hull to lessen the impact of the UV rays, but no way to store it properly, alas. The recommended way is stern down, kayak vertical, and in the shade. Not possible. And this North Florida sun was wicked even before climate change! Guess the good news is that kayaks are not expensive. Less than a boat dollar. :-)
Old 08-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
ljk

Based on the above, I bought a couple of black straps at West Marine for under $60. Although they are intended for hanging a Kayak on the wall of a garage, I am going to see if they will work hanging the 'yaks' from my bowrail.

Will report back if it works!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #16
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I don't have a kayak, but, have thought if I did laying it across, on the Kato transom dinghy davit arms would be a good spot. Like Ready2go but on top kinda like his sun panels. We have 13' beam a 12 footer should fit fine with some straps to hold it in place. To launch just pull it off to either side by hand. Looks like I'd have to move the stern light AGAIN. Kayaks are not on the list right now.
Attached Thumbnails
dinghy davits raised  013.jpg  
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #17

City: Redlands
My 12 ft kayak is mounted on the davits. Out of the way, easy to launch and recover.

Arch
Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #18
ljk

Nice idea.if you have davits. I do not. Does anyone carry their yak on a swim plarform? I do have one of those!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljk View Post
Nice idea.if you have davits. I do not. Does anyone carry their yak on a swim plarform? I do have one of those!
Bayliner 47 near me carries two sit-on-tops of the swim platform. Works for them!