Kanzaki KM4A2 leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
So I finally got the boat back to the slip in Rockport last night. Now I need to tackle the transmission output shaft leak and the vibration at the stuffing box, and the packing gland maybe.

Has anyone here done a trans seal on one of these transmissions with the boat in the water? Can I move the prop shaft back far enough without sinking the boat? I have a bronze stuffing box that fits onto a big black piece of hose with 4 hose clamps. I can't tel if this is a DIY project. I think I read a special tool is needed to hold the trans shaft while removing the nut.

As for the vibration, at my last stop I noticed one of the coupling bolts was completely loose and another was slightly loose. Could this have caused the seal to go out maybe? I thought tightening up those bolts would help some of the vibration and stuffing box wiggle, but after tightening the bolts I still had the wiggle on the stuffing box. Would one of those flexible couplings help with the stuffing box wiggle maybe?

Finally there is a bunch of green goo in the bilge under the stuffing box. I assume that's some of my packing?

Greetings,
Mr. 01. "...green goo..."? Have you checked your bilge for poltergeists?

5gArNffWKNbXO.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom