Old 05-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Just got hit head-on by a sailboat

I'm speechless. This happened about 40 minutes ago. We were anchored at McCovey Cove and we were in the boat making hot chocolate. My son all of a sudden said "Look!" and I turned and through the windshield saw a sailboat about 10 feet away from us doing about 4+ knots, heading literally straight for us. I don't think he could have hit more on center. Fortunately, he contacted the anchor chain which caused him to veer off to the side. He did make contact with my cap rail and sneered off about a 5" x 2" section of gelcoat.

I don't even know what to say. I got his name, cell phone, boat name and registration numbers.

Anyone have any advice on what to do from here other than make contact with the guy and let my insurance company know?

There was at least 50 to 75 feet on either side of me. Just no explanation...

Heading to my slip now to assess if there is any more damage.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
were you anchored, moored or underway? which side did he hit you on?
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
First thing to do: Take your anchor chain, kiss it like a treasure, it saved your boat!!! Your chain deserve a good scrubbing!

I hope for you you don't have more damage and that everything will end as a good story to tell.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I was anchored. After hitting the chain it veered him off to my starboard side. He made contact with the cap rail about 1/3 of the length of my boat from the bow.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
While you remember everything make a detailed log entry in your log book. Include GPS position, depth, scope deployed, every detail you can think of. You are probably required to file a written accident report (reporting requirements are state dependent). Next step is to contact your insurance company and file a claim. They will likely want a surveyor to take a look as well. Not saying this guy will try to claim it is your fault but the sooner you file the claim and report the sooner you are better protected.

Marty......................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #6

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Document everything while it is still fresh in your memory. Include your position and time it occurred and visibility in the area. Don't leave any details out. Take pictures of the vessel in question if you still can and pictures of any damage. Then contact CG to report the collision, just so it is officially reported. Then contact your insurance company.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
Guru

This happened to us once. We were anchored in Edgartown, middle of the afternoon. We were ashore and came back to the damage. The guy admitted to being at fault to the harbormaster who witnessed it.
He left the area and when I later tracked him down, he just denied being there until I sent him pictures a neighboring boat took. He then proceeded to tell me how important a person he was as a supplier of vintage Land Rovers to movie sets and hung up!
The damage was slight so I simply made repairs myself and chalked it up to the guy being an idiot!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Call the cops immediately. Hit and run. I wish you all the best with the outcome. Do not scrub the anchor chain (destroys evidence).
Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Happened to me in the SF Bay during Fleet Week 2015. Took pics of both vessels immediately. Got the boat name, owner's name, insurance company, recorded time, date, conditions while fresh in my memory. Spoke to my insurance company who sent a surveyor out to assess the damage. Spoke with his insurance company that agreed to pay for all repairs.

Last week when dumping my rode on the dock, I came across the section with his bottom paint on it. I had to smile, looking back on all the grief and aggravation it caused, but my boat is better today that it was the day before the allision.

It's frustrating, I know. Hope your results are as good or better than mine.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Boston
Get an estimate on the damage and see if the guy will pay it, tell him he can file a claim with his insurance company (LOL, if he dumb enough to run into your boat, he might be dumb enough to do that).

If he refuses to pay it, you have the following options:

(1) sue him pro se

(2) fix it yourself with your own money

(3) pay for the repair yourself and make an insurance claim

If you do #3, you might have to switch insurers later because your insurer will probably raise your rates. The money you "gain" from the insurer will be more than compensated to them by the higher rates. You cannot ever win with insurance.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thinking like a defence attorney...does a black anchoring ball (day shape) displayed on the bow come into play here?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #12

City: Toronto
Sorry to hear ..... The boating fraternity as a whole has no honor or integrity, it is based on lies, obfuscation and denials. You are on your own ! I too was hit by a sail boat while I was anchored, I had to chase the guy down in the anchorage where he gave me that " I've been sailing 50 yrs. and know what I'm doing bull sh*t " and just walked away. His insurance co. did not even want to talk to me .... LOL I ended up filing a claim in local court and eventually settled for .30 / dollar from his Insce. Co. Clearly the mistake I made was that I got 3 honest estimates for the repairs .......

fb
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #13
Guru

Rreport it to the CG immediately as there is a big fat fine for failure to do so.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Thinking like a defence attorney...does a black anchoring ball (day shape) displayed on the bow come into play here?
Ball required even in designated general anchorages.

Hoisted from forward spar:

Mounted at bow:

accident report form:
Boating Accident Report Forms
Old 05-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
It certainly does if its not a designated anchorage, unfortunately. Very much doubt an anchor ball was displayed.

Anchor ball does not need to be displayed from bow,usually aloft in rigging.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

You only need to report it if the damage is "more than $2,000".

I could not find any regulation specifying a fine. If anybody knows what that regulation is.... ?
Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
You only need to report it if the damage is "more than $2,000".

In what jurisdiction is that the rule? In California, it is $500.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In what jurisdiction is that the rule? In California, it is $500.
That is the federal rule. The previous post said report it to the "coast guard". The coast guard regulations specify that accidents only need to be reported if the damage is more than $2000 (or somebody dies, etc).
Old 05-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Nobody was hurt. The guy gave you his contact information. File a claim with your insurance company and they will handle it from there. That's why you pay those premiums.
Life is too short to get angry about an accident like this.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sydney
We have the $2000 rule in Australia for car insurance $2000 on a Merc AMG is a broken tail light how can anyone judge repair cost . I told my daughter to just ring the police and tell the other driver is drunk and let them do what they are payed for
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote