Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #61
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Good to hear, Michael. I'll be in the area (South Beach Harbor) in early June for Beer Camp 2018 on Pier 48. C'mon by and we can compare battle scars.

Beer Camp eh? Had to look that one up. :-) Sounds like fun.

If I can make it I'll be sure to reach out beforehand!
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #62
Guru

Just got hit head on by a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Why wouldn't you just have him agree to pay the yard directly. Then there's no issues.

Because the guy who quoted me is doing it on the side. He works for a nearby yard and does side work nights and weekends. The guy who owns the boat across from my slip highly recommended him. Ironically he gave me his contract information a week before this happened. Didn't think I'd need him so soon!!!!

I may also get another estimate just to see if there's general agreement.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Is he not running it through his insurance company?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Because the guy who quoted me is doing it on the side. He works for a nearby yard and does side work nights and weekends. The guy who owns the boat across from my slip highly recommended him. Ironically he gave me his contract information a week before this happened. Didn't think I'd need him so soon!!!!

No, please no. No side deals. Insurance company with boatyard, not personal check with mechanic doing it on the side. Doing it this way, who do you go back to if there are other problems?

This is the type thing daytime tv courts are filled with. Guy promises to pay but it's more than he was told and he refuses. Mechanic on side, got into it and more work and wanted more money, or fixed it but not right.

Best way for this is insurance company with open claim with yard, agreeing to an estimate the yard makes but open to the possibility the yard will call saying they found more.

Now, if you're comfortable taking all the risks, then proceed as you're headed. Just understand you are taking the risks on you completely.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #65
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Life is too short to get angry about an accident like this.
Totally agree. We were hit by a sailboat while we were docked behind our residence and sleeping aboard. The sailboat apparently lost his anchor in the small anchorage behind our home during a sudden squall, sideswiped us, then got the boat started in time to get enough control and escape the anchorage. It was so dark that we could do little else but race around and check for hull breaches. It was a sickening impact with a long, resounding scrape the full length of the hull. I got to one of the stateroom portlights quick enough to see the bow scrape by only inches from my nose. I caught a glimpse of several shadows scrambling on the sailboat's deck as it faded into the darkness. He was already heading into Biscayne Bay when I got on deck, so it was too late to get a name anyway. It was still blowing like hell, so he probably had to do what he did to keep control of his boat. Come daybreak, I was able to survey the damage. Fortunately, it tured ot to be the sailboat that got the worst of it. It must have gotten underneath our stainless rub rail because there were wood splinters stuck beneath the entire length of the starboard rail. Cost to us was about 500 bucks including a pair of glasses I dropped in the water in the caos. Just one of those things.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #66
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now, if you're comfortable taking all the risks, then proceed as you're headed. Just understand you are taking the risks on you completely.

I'm actually pretty risk averse, so I'll need to have a high comfort factor regardless. I'm talking to a few owners on my dock that have used him and speak highly of his work. His reputation for good work is what's appealing, not the fact that he does it on the side or is a bargain (which I don't think is the case).
Old 05-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #67
Guru

City: Boston Area
The only advantage to getting it done by a guy as a side job is to save money.....but you won't be paying for this. You'll be taking a huge risk to save someone else money. If this guy is so good you really want him to do it....take it to him at his main job. Some insurance companies will only pay a legitimate repair facility...they won't cut a check to the you because some people would be tempted to keep the money and not have the work done...then they are insuring a boat for more than its worth.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #68
Guru

Quote:
I'm actually pretty risk averse, so I'll need to have a high comfort factor regardless. I'm talking to a few owners on my dock that have used him and speak highly of his work. His reputation for good work is what's appealing, not the fact that he does it on the side or is a bargain (which I don't think is the case).
And why isn't sailboat insurance involved? Why talking the owner paying you?

Now, does he not do the same work in the yard he works for? Just as well? But with a business to hold accountable and one that is properly insured and licensed, one that an insurer would be willing to deal with?
Old 05-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
And why isn't sailboat insurance involved? Why talking the owner paying you?

Now, does he not do the same work in the yard he works for? Just as well? But with a business to hold accountable and one that is properly insured and licensed, one that an insurer would be willing to deal with?

You raise good points. I'll give it some thought. I sent a few emails to other yards today with photos of the damage so I'll see what they have to say.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #70
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Michael
Suggest you rethink having it done on the side, for many reasons as previously suggested. Also a good yard will stand behind their work, which on your new boat I'm sure you'll want.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #71
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
The guy who looked at it said it would be about $850 but said he'd have to remove some caulking and depending on what he finds it could be another $300 - $500. I'm thinking about asking the person who hit me for the maximum amount of $1,350 with me returning a portion if not needed, or having him give me two checks, one to cover any additional damage found, which I'd rip up if not needed.
DO Not proceed down this path unless you enjoy pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Why wouldn't you just have him agree to pay the yard directly. Then there's no issues.
Yup!

Quote:

See my earlier comment re "pain".

Quote:
No, please no. No side deals. Insurance company with boatyard, not personal check with mechanic doing it on the side. Doing it this way, who do you go back to if there are other problems?

This is the type thing daytime tv courts are filled with. Guy promises to pay but it's more than he was told and he refuses. Mechanic on side, got into it and more work and wanted more money, or fixed it but not right.

Best way for this is insurance company with open claim with yard, agreeing to an estimate the yard makes but open to the possibility the yard will call saying they found more.

Again, yup!

Quote:
Quote:
You raise good points. I'll give it some thought. I sent a few emails to other yards today with photos of the damage so I'll see what they have to say.
If I may be direct- the only way to handle this should be thru the offending party's insurance. There is no reason for there to be "side deals" to complete this type of repair.

Do it once, do it right. How do you warrant under the table repairs?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #72
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Doubtless Michael B was trying to reciprocate the helpful attitude the offending boat owner was taking, by minimizing the cost.
Why is there a problem dealing with the culprit rather than his insurer? It`s the offender`s prerogative to call on his insurer, or not, The relationship between offender and insurer is a contract to which Michael is not a party.
But, I don`t think this is the time to cut corners by getting the work done "on the side", unless you are really comfortable doing it this way and so committed it would strain the so far satisfactory responses of the offender, better to do it the proper way.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 AM   #73
Guru

when it comes to vessel repairs, I prefer to not cut corners and do it right. Certainly, the OP has the right to do as he best sees fit- as I see it, I'd rather have the repair done correctly by a shop that can be held accountable should it be necesssry. Also, the damage may be more substantial than viewed, and take additional time to repair correctly.

The guy working on the side may be rushed to get the job done, as it's a side gig. This speed requirement may lead to a shoddy repair.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:51 AM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Why is there a problem dealing with the culprit rather than his insurer? It`s the offender`s prerogative to call on his insurer, or not, .
Several reasons.

-The insurer is likely to reach agreement with a trustworthy boatyard that pays the estimated value but leaves it open for additional repairs if necessary. If the yard notifies them of additional findings they'll listen.

-It is very common for the other party to agree to pay but then along the way there are issues. Often it costs more than they agreed to and they say forget about it and refuse to pay more. Sometimes they don't trust the yard or the yard doesn't trust them.

-The yard will sometimes agree to an amount with the insurer but not require it to be paid in advance, which gives the insurer the ability to get you to sign off on the work before they pay or before they close the case. On an individual, you don't surrender your right to sign off but getting more money is very hard.

-Insurers are use to hidden damage. Individuals often are not.

Because there is no legal requirement for insurance on a boat, you are correct that it's the offenders prerogative. Your only protection there is to make sure your insurer is aware of the damage and the claim and has approved the agreement with the yard. The reason is that if the other party doesn't pay your insurer will and then they can go after the other party. If they don't, then they lose but you don't, assuming the other party paid you enough to cover the deductible. However, if you're left holding the bag and have to go after the other party that gets expensive. I would definitely make sure my own insurance was aware and approving the process. They are your protection.

On the road it's very common for one party to say to the other that they'll take care of it, don't want to run it through their insurance. About 50% of those times, from what I've been told by someone in the industry, there are ultimately problems.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:23 AM   #75
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Never-the-less, ideally this is done as BandB said. You leave it to the insurance co to organise unless they give express permission for you to choose the repairer, in which case the bill should still be submitted fully itemised to that insurance co. and not through you, and no 'deals' on the side should be entered into, no matter how good the recommendations. I'm sure Pau Hana would agree.

PS. Yes, he did, I just missed that post. Note to self, read all the posts on a thread before leaping into print.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Never-the-less, ideally this is done as BandB said. You leave it to the insurance co to organise unless they give express permission for you to choose the repairer, in which case the bill should still be submitted fully itemised to that insurance co. and not through you, and no 'deals' on the side should be entered into, no matter how good the recommendations. I'm sure Pau Hana would agree.

PS. Yes, he did, I just missed that post. Note to self, read all the posts on a thread before leaping into print.
Agree I do!

Old 05-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #77
Guru

City: Sydney
Doesn't this make one wonder why some people even bother with insurance . ???
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:04 AM   #78
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Doesn't this make one wonder why some people even bother with insurance . ???

Doesn't make me wonder. Why would it?

-Chris
Old 05-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #79

City: Maumelle, AR
Vessel Name: Missing Link
Vessel Model: 1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
I deal with boat claims on a daily basis. If I believed much of what is written here I would fold up the tent and go home. However, most of the comments are based on some truths and this mixture of conjecture and truths is the basis of major nightmares.
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #80

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
IF it was my boat, and the other guy was paying, I would take it to KKMI.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote