Just a Few Questions about a Boat..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never operated a vessel with mismatched twins, but I'll advance a theory by which that would seem to make sense. Propulsion results from a prop of a given diameter and pitch turning a certain number of RPM. If the gearboxes are the same, and the load is obviously the same on each side, then the engine RPM would need to be the same. Developing that RPM will require X amount of torque and horsepower. The engine rated for slightly higher HP will simply be running at a bit less of its rated capacity in order to turn the prop X times per minute under the same load, but they should be running the same number of RPM.

Or, not. Somebody who has operated a boat with mismatched twins is encouraged to correct my theory if it doesn't apply.

Pretty much what I was saying, there are factors involved, but a little math and some trial and error, a repitch of the props it can be done. Or if you want the ass pain, pull the one or both sell and put in a matched set. Talk to the PO he should be able to give insight.

what about an engine(s) synchronizer?

Probably would work lots better to match the shaft speeds , tho it might not always be smooth.

Too many good deals around right now to spend money on an orphan that you will have a hard time selling.

If he could not afford to do that part right, what else could he not afford.
I might take it if it was free and I had nothing else to do.

Too many good deals around right now to spend money on an orphan that you will have a hard time selling.

If he could not afford to do that part right, what else could he not afford.
I might take it if it was free and I had nothing else to do.

Agreed

Hey Marin, off topic briefly, but I noticed in that tranquility post of the canal narrow boat, you had no seat. That would throw a dampener on sitting out there, cruising along, flat out at 4 mph, supping a coffee, relaxing on a seat with the tiller under your arm. The one we had had a semicircular seat out back. Did you have stand to steer that one?
The boat we use in known as a "traditional" boat. In other words it has the exact same layout as the working motor boats of the late 1800s through the 1950s. The only difference is where the working boats had an open hold forward of the engine room, the "traditional" recreational boats have a cabin which contains one or more staterooms, the galley, one or two heads, a shower, and the main "saloon."

So from the stern, Willow has a totally authentic boatman's cabin, the engine room with a big 3-cylinder, air-cooled Lister diesel, and then the "recreational" cabin in place of the hold. Traditional boats have a very small aft deck, only large enough for the steersman to stand. Mo railings, seats, or anything else. In fact the steersman stands on the top step into the boatman's cabin. Great setup in our opinion, much better than the more modern recreational boats with big aft decks. When we have guests my wife and I "live" in the boatman's cabin and our guests get the stateroom.

When you're steering and it's cold outside you fire up the coal stove in the boatman's cabin, close the aft doors behind you and slide the hatch up to your stomach. The heat from the stove comes up around you and keeps you nice and warm even on frosty mornings or in a downpour.

image-206976213.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom