Just cut loose my genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We decided not to send out gen for a rebuild and just use a small Honda 2200. Plan was to install a solar system but daughter decided to get married.

The gen tech guy even said given our cruising and electrical need that the Honda was the best option. If we were doing the loop it would be a different story

We decided not to send out gen for a rebuild and just use a small Honda 2200. Plan was to install a solar system but daughter decided to get married.

The gen tech guy even said given our cruising and electrical need that the Honda was the best option. If we were doing the loop it would be a different story

That Honda will do everything for you!! I have been cruising years on mine and it can run anything on my boat, just not at same time. It took adding a soft start to the 16k btu air conditioner, now it starts with the Honda in Eco mode.

Plus the Honda uses less fuel than my diesel generator ever did.

It is running my watermaker as I type.

Florida and the Caribbean are pretty brutal without ac. It becomes pretty much a necessity the closer to the equator one gets. Also those areas get really buggy and screening a boat really drops the flow through wind. We lived 2 years at anchor all across the so. Pacific in our early 30's without ac and not it would be no bueno for us to be stinky and wet all day and night.

I think it depends on the boat
We have:-
Large overhangs with drop down shade cloth to the rails
Good ventilation with opening tinted windows and roller blinds
No accommodation in hull near hot engine(s)

This has allowed us to live on the same longitude as Florida and cruising further north into warmer areas for near 7 years without A/C.

Sure, there has been a few days where we thought it would be nice, had a week of hot Northerlies and 34c/94f recently but 240v desk and pedestal fans, a quick swim and or shower have worked fine.
S/E change comes in and it feels cooler again.

Due to size of vessel we anchor further out and that has taken care of the bugs in areas where we have been savaged in previous boats.

Will see how we feel as we actually get to equatorial waters but I do know from our times spent in south East Asia on land, that becoming a slave to A/C can be a bad thing.

That Honda will do everything for you!! I have been cruising years on mine and it can run anything on my boat, just not at same time. It took adding a soft start to the 16k btu air conditioner, now it starts with the Honda in Eco mode.

Plus the Honda uses less fuel than my diesel generator ever did.

It is running my watermaker as I type.
My plan is use the same Honda 2200 gen. I figured I would have to do without A/C on the hook. Glad to hear it will work. You made my day.

A lot of desire for AC has as much to do with age as lattitudes. Years ago chartering sailboats in the BVI, I don't remember wishing for AC and there was none anyway. My son will gladly sit in a cramped economy seat to fly to the other side of the world for a vacation, I'm not sure I'd do that in first class.

Last edited:
My plan is use the same Honda 2200 gen. I figured I would have to do without A/C on the hook. Glad to hear it will work. You made my day.

Don't forget that you could get a companion Honda and run 2 and double the output if you want.

My air conditioning starts so smooth with the soft start in Eco that I barely hear the the Honda pick up on load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom