Just 4', big Difference not a big deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warwgn

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Searching now
So looking at boat size and trying to determine where I should look. Plan is full time cruiser as you may know by my other posts, so far I really like the Defever 48' Trawler and think that size is perfect for two of us to live on for months at a time and big enough to handle unexpected weather.

Also like the Defever 44' for the same reasons, but 4' more looks like a big deal for space and storage but not a big deal for extra cost in slips or fees? Looking at Bay Saint Louis marina it would only cost an extra $16.50 for a slip to go 48' vs 44'.

Am I looking at this all wrong, is there really that much I am missing, if the purchase price very close why not go a bit bigger? I am still very ignorant when it comes to this but trying to learn. I am confident I can get either boat or similar trawlers for under 200K in good shape and equipped well to meet what we want to do. Is there any reason to go with a 44' vs a 48'?

Don't agonize over these minor differences. Don't debate one engine or two, Rocna or the other, fiberglass or metal. Agree on the requirements that meet your needs, find it, and buy it. The right boat should identify itself.

Greg.

Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan. Those two boats are very different from each other inside. There is more difference between them than just the nominal length.

Never been on a 48, but I have been aboard a 44. The engine room is huge on a 44.

Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan. Those two boats are very different from each other inside. There is more difference between them than just the nominal length.

exactly the 48' has a much better floor plan and 2 extra bunks over the 44'. So far I think I was looking at things correctly then.

I was a full time liveaboard for 18 months. The more space, the better.

I agree that having more room is a good thing. Some will say to get the smallest boat that will work for you but as time goes by I usually find that I wish I had gone bigger. Make a list of must haves, want to haves and must not haves in a boat. For us a must have is loose furniture so we can have recliners due to back issues. Must not have vertical ladders. Must be diesel, one or two engines is ok. We prefer an aft master cabin. Make your own list and look at as many boats as possible. Just looking will help define your lists. Good luck.

Boats get more expensive not so much by the foot but when you cross the line for equipment size. Meaning, do both boats use the same engine and shaft size? If they do then they will have similar operation costs. If the 44 uses two small Cummins engines with a 1” shaft and the 48 uses two big CAT motors with 2.5” shafts, well now you are going to see a big difference in operation costs. If the 44 has good layout but there just isn’t the room for accessories like watermaker, Air condition, etc. and the 48 has the room for these accessories, well expect an increase in operation costs.

So it’s hard to tell you if the two boats are comparable or not. It just depends if you crossed the equipment size line.

Boats get more expensive not so much by the foot but when you cross the line for equipment size. Meaning, do both boats use the same engine and shaft size? If they do then they will have similar operation costs. If the 44 uses two small Cummins engines with a 1” shaft and the 48 uses two big CAT motors with 2.5” shafts, well now you are going to see a big difference in operation costs. If the 44 has good layout but there just isn’t the room for accessories like watermaker, Air condition, etc. and the 48 has the room for these accessories, well expect an increase in operation costs.

So it’s hard to tell you if the two boats are comparable or not. It just depends if you crossed the equipment size line.

Excellent point! I believe they are similar equipment size but definitely something to think about since those things are very important to me. Watermaker, stabilizers, and air conditioning are all must haves for me and are part of what will determine which boat I buy in the end. If I never see the ICW or do the Great Loop that would be fine with me I want to do everything on the outside and just cruise the Caribbean, my whole reason to get a boat it to be able to get away from crowded settings and restrictions.

I will take a look at those specifics and try to calculate the different running and maintenance costs will be, there is always a set budget so that will be a big consideration.

Watermaker, stabilizers, and air conditioning are all must haves for me and are part of what will determine which boat I buy in the end.

Not entirely essential.
We have been full time cruising, liveaboard for 4 years and no marinas.
We have no water maker, air con or stabilizers
Mind you, we are bigger than the 48ft you are looking at.

Size of vessel allows us to carry a lot of water - 3 tonne on line now with another two not connected into the system.
We also collect rain water. We see a tap at a fuel dock once, maybe twice a year.

The vessel is well ventilated with large overhangs, our bedroom is above deck, not sharing a bulkhead with a hot engine and we generally live on the same latitude as Florida though now, we are on the same one as Cuba, Hawaii, Tortuga at 20 degrees.

Stabilisers, I'll give you that I would like them but, we have managed without by picking our times and changing course and increasing rpm when needed - a small increase in fuel burn on occasion vs $20,000+ for stabilisers and another system to maintain

Last edited:
The 48 has a great engine room too. As mentioned above, eventually, you'll be glad for that.

Last edited:
So looking at boat size and trying to determine where I should look. Plan is full time cruiser as you may know by my other posts, so far I really like the Defever 48' Trawler and think that size is perfect for two of us to live on for months at a time and big enough to handle unexpected weather.

Also like the Defever 44' for the same reasons, but 4' more looks like a big deal for space and storage but not a big deal for extra cost in slips or fees? Looking at Bay Saint Louis marina it would only cost an extra $16.50 for a slip to go 48' vs 44'.

Am I looking at this all wrong, is there really that much I am missing, if the purchase price very close why not go a bit bigger? I am still very ignorant when it comes to this but trying to learn. I am confident I can get either boat or similar trawlers for under 200K in good shape and equipped well to meet what we want to do. Is there any reason to go with a 44' vs a 48'?
If your cruising plans are here on the gulf coast, you'll be hard pressed to find a better warm weather boat than the DeFever 44. The huge sundeck is where we spend most of our time with friends. The DeFever 48's trunk cabin robs you of most of this area. Engine rooms are similar. Either way, both great boats!

If your cruising plans are here on the gulf coast, you'll be hard pressed to find a better warm weather boat than the DeFever 44. The huge sundeck is where we spend most of our time with friends. The DeFever 48's trunk cabin robs you of most of this area. Engine rooms are similar. Either way, both great boats!
I've been aboard both and agree the trunk cabin is an oddity on the 48. I sort of like it as it would be dynamite outdoor sleeping space, but still.....

What about the 44+5, the Defever 44 plus a 5 foot cockpit? Great for line handling and dinghy access.

Peter

4 feet is a HUGE difference! I went from a 6 footer to a 10 footer and never looked back.

Back
Top Bottom