Juneau to ABC islands?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maineman

Veteran Member
Ok. My third attempt to purchase a used trawler in the last two years has fallen through. Either I can't afford the final selling price or the survey raises some alarming concerns. So, I'm rethinking how to achieve my lifelong dream of exploring the PNW (or the West Coast as my Canadian friends refer to it).

I had originally planned to buy a small trawler 31-36', and based out of Bellingham, spend the next many years poking along the inside passage. Because I'm afraid I might not find a suitable boat, and because I don't want to waste anymore time, I'm thinking of simply trailering my existing boat to Juneau and finding a marina there.

My boat is a Rosborough 246. It's a great boat, beloved in the NorthEast and the maritimes and very salty. Very basic accommodations but we make do nicely. We've made some relatively epic trips along the Maine coast and into Atlantic Canada. I have a lot of trust in this little boat.

But I don't know if it's adequate for exploring the ABC islands from Juneau. What do you think?

No problem at all. Go for it! I've done the whole Inside Passage on my 22' C-Dory. A friend with a 22' C-Dory has done extensive cruising on the inside and outside of Baranof and Chichagof. Many locals go all over SEAK in 20-something foot planing pilothouse boats. Be patient with weather, careful with fuel, and have a blast!

Check out trailering to Prince Rupert BC and then running the boat the 80 miles to get to Ketchikan AK. At that point you are in inside waters and can range easily throughout SE AK. Very doable with your boat.

Go for it. You will have a great time.

I’ve seen one other Rosborough in SE. I don’t recommend Juneau as that is an expensive ferry ride with a boat. Prince Rupert is a jumping off point as are Skagway and Haines if you want to drive that far.

You might check out the Alaska Marine Highway ferries that leave from Bellingham Wa and visit not only Juneau but other SE AK towns. As Tom mentioned, the ferry ride with a car/truck combo is expensive.

You know, I hope, that there is no road to Juneau, so trailering there means putting car/boat/trailer on the ferry from Bellingham, Prince Rupert (if they’re running from there by the time you go) or Skagway to Juneau, which would be expensive.

Your plan is certainly doable. Range is a key issue in a smaller boat because there aren’t a lot of fuel stops. I’ve lived in Juneau going on 40 years and done a fair amount of boating around the ABC islands. PM or email me and I’d be happy to share some local knowledge:

YOU check the ferry costs before you decide. For other things I have been told something was expensive. Some times it was but sometime it was not, at least not to the point of being put off.
I am not suggesting the ride is cheap but costs are all relative.

You know, I hope, that there is no road to Juneau, so trailering there means putting car/boat/trailer on the ferry from Bellingham, Prince Rupert (if they’re running from there by the time you go) or Skagway to Juneau, which would be expensive.

Your plan is certainly doable. Range is a key issue in a smaller boat because there aren’t a lot of fuel stops. I’ve lived in Juneau going on 40 years and done a fair amount of boating around the ABC islands. PM or email me and I’d be happy to share some local knowledge:

For those of us (I don't think I am alone) who don't recognize the term "ABC Islands" could you please explain their location and extent?

For those of us (I don't think I am alone) who don't recognize the term "ABC Islands" could you please explain their location and extent?

From Wikipedia:

“ The ABC Islands is the colloquial name for the Alaskan islands of Admiralty, Baranof, and Chichagof in the northern part of the Alexander Archipelago, which are all part of the Tongass National Forest. The islands are known for their wilderness and wildlife, including a dense brown bear population.”

“ Most of the islands' area is federally protected wilderness. The city of Sitka has its urban center on the west coast of Baranof Island. Outside of Sitka, there is only minimal industry and human presence on the islands, despite the fact that Admiralty (7th), Baranof (10th) and Chichagof (5th) are among the largest islands in the United States.”

Thank you. I've been to all three of those islands (perhaps a dozen times to Baranof) and never heard "ABC Islands" except as applied to Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao.

Never too old to learn , I guess.:socool:

Thank you. I've been to all three of those islands (perhaps a dozen times to Baranof) and never heard "ABC Islands" except as applied to Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao.

Never too old to learn , I guess.:socool:

Same here, never heard of ABC before this (?)

Though I posted the definition, I hadn’t heard of them either. Too “ colloquial ” I guess!!

i was born in sitka and fished se alaska all my young life. never heard of the abc islands. i wonder when that term was coined?

Admiralty Island hosts the long running Greens Creek mine. The mine is Juneau's largest private employer and it's largest tax payer. The general vicinity of the ABC Islands are well fished from Juneau, Petersburg, Sitka, Ketchikan, Hoonah and Kake providing livelihood for thousands of families.

I'd include POW Island in the mix too as a huge cruising ground with associated large commercial fishing and timber activities. TP Brady could write a book about these places and their jaw dropping scenery and splendor.

Hi Maineman,

We've towed our C-Dory 22 from Utah to Prince Rupert to cruise SE Alaska, and our 26-footer many times. Also many trips on the BC coast. As said above, very do-able in your Rosborough with an eye on the weather, fuel, and fresh water.

I'd be happy to share our accumulated experience - some of which was earned the hard way. Send me a PM with your email address if you'd like to discuss.

mainman,
Find and buy a 26’ Albin (Swedish built) Cruiser-trawler repowered with a more modern engine. I think more than half have been re-powered.
If the roll becomes an issue (it didn’t for us) install flopper stoppers.

Good for only two people and a small ss fuel tank but most A 25’s only burn 1/2 gph. This is a 6 knot boat.
You can trailer this boat with an 8’6” beam. Weight = 4000lbs.
Prepare yourself for meeting Brown Bears. There are more Brown Bears on Admiralty Is. than people

We ran our A25 to Juneau and back to Seattle in 03. Great trip

PM me for more info if you like.

Last edited:
I herd ABC several years ago but in reference to the myth that you only found brown bears on the ABC islands. I can verify it’s a myth. I would say the truth would be there are no black bears on the ABC islands.

I think trailing to Prince Rupert would be my choice. I have lived on all three of the islands in question, and as others have suggested, your boat is perfectly acceptable for cruising that area.

Thank you all so much! Very reassuring. Mostly, I was concerned about fuel capacity as we're very cautious with weather traveling.

I don't know where the term ABC Islands originated either. I probably read it on this forum somewhere along the line and thought it was clever. But I don't want to show up in Alaska sounding like a tourist!

You might check out the Alaska Marine Highway ferries that leave from Bellingham Wa and visit not only Juneau but other SE AK towns. As Tom mentioned, the ferry ride with a car/truck combo is expensive.

Was on the phone with AMHS to arrange for moving a car from Prince Rupert to Ketchikan. No schedules yet but the lady (very helpful) suggest an alternative. Drive to Skaway Alaska and pick up the ferry heading south to Ketchikan. This is relevant for a small trailerable boat. Drive to Skagway, cruise the Inside Passage, north and south than either drive south to the lower 48 or take the ferry to Bellingham WA.

Personally, the whole trip on the water would be preferred but intrigued by this alternative.

"This is relevant for a small trailerable boat. Drive to Skagway, cruise the Inside Passage, north and south"

IMO a small trailer boat would be much better off (and safer) cruising from P Rupert north to Ketchikan, than Skagway south in the Lynn Canal.

i was born in sitka and fished se alaska all my young life. never heard of the abc islands. i wonder when that term was coined?

Me neither! Lived in Sitka a couple of times in the 60's and worked on tugs all over SEAK but never heard the term till today.
I was able to reason it out, but it caught me off guard.:eek:

I do not know if the OP's heart is set on Alaska, but another good option, IMO, would to either trailer to Bella Coola, or take the BC ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Bella, and explore the Central Coast area of BC.
You could leave your boat on the hard at Shearwater for the winter and run in up to Alaska the following year.

Last edited:
"This is relevant for a small trailerable boat. Drive to Skagway, cruise the Inside Passage, north and south"

IMO a small trailer boat would be much better off (and safer) cruising from P Rupert north to Ketchikan, than Skagway south in the Lynn Canal.

Don't disagree. Better safe than....

Stabi wrote;
“I do not know if the OP's heart is set on Alaska, but another good option, IMO, would to either trailer to Bella Coola, or take the BC ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Bella, and explore the Central Coast area of BC.”

Very good idea IMO.
Northern BC waters are wonderful.
But before doing the interior route to Bella Coola check out the roads. Just east of Bella Cola the road goe’s to gravel, is long and has an 18 degree grade. Belive it or not though I’ve heard truckers run it most or all through the winters. My info could be dated but check it out.
In summer all you need is good brakes. My old Suburban towing a light trailer required cooling of brakes twice.
Also BC20 is a long road from Williams Lake. And Port Hardy to Bella Bella is a long run and likely to be expensive w a trailer.

The whole area has long been a favorite of mine and is all wilderness and challenges to small boaters are plentiful. I’ve had numerous very exciting experiences .. some too exciting in this area.

Last edited:
Having lived in Ketchikan for almost 50 years before moving to Sitka in 2020, and having boated all around Southeast pretty much the whole time, I'll chime in my two cents:
I have known the ABC island designation as long as I can remember anything--interesting how some have, some haven't.
Having made the trip from Puget Sound to Southeast on a diesel-powered sailboat each of the last two Septembers I would be cautious regarding the rapidity with which the border can open or close with Covid restrictions. 2020 was MUCH harder than 2021, but there are still a lot of hoops.
You can go anywhere in Southeast if you have the time. The most dangerous accessory on any boat in Southeast is a schedule. It can get nasty very quickly, and in fall and sometimes spring fog can last past noon.
In a small boat you have to consider both the wind and the tidal current. Even some of the large waterways--Chatham Strait or Clarence Strait--can get very dicey very quickly when the tidal current is flowing against a brisk southeasterly (low-pressure system) wind or a brisk northerly (high pressure system).
You can sort out costs of fuel and lodging hassle for driving against cost of ferry. Taking the ferry from Bellingham to Southeast spares the difficulty of dealing with into and out of Canada border crossings.
But come and do it in the boat you have!! If you are here a while and decide that you want a different boat you will have a much more educated list of requirements for your next one.
Welcome!

I heard of the "ABC Islands" on a cruise boat, so I think they coined the term for tourists.

So, if wildlife viewing is our highest priority, should we initially focus on the central or north coasts? Eventually we hope to experience it all.

Other than bears, IMO, it would be 6's. For bears, AK over BC. For Whales, AK might win, however, we are never disappointed in the Caamano Sound, Squally Channel area of BC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom