July Fourth Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got home! Have been on board since Sunday. Loving the new marina, Yacht Harbor Village and the amenities that come along with it. (Ocean Hammock Resort) The fireworks were stellar!!

Sorry I didn't make the rounds Menzies, it was quite a crowd. Most all were on "E" dock?

Mandeville Tip Fireworks.

Close enough to enjoy the show and the company of friends, far enough back to avoid the mayhem and rap music. :thumb:

Attachments

• 20170704_200445.jpg
    20170704_200445.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 54
  • flip1.jpg
    flip1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Putting in my vote for silent fireworks. They're gaining popularity in Europe to alleviate anxiety in children and animals. I think a great idea. I know I'd enjoy more without the noise. The FLL fireworks show was very good.

Nah, they can't make them loud enough. Watched the show in Marquette, MI from the upper deck of my boat. It lasted 45 minutes and was probably the best show I've ever seen. The Bangs reverberated off the hills surrounding the harbor, truly amazing! Those that wanted less sound effect enjoyed it from the breakwater wall. To me, removing the Bangs, would be likely taking the drums out of a great Rock and Roll song. They are the exclamation point.

Ted

Silent fireworks? Hell no! Why rob all of us the opportunity to hear the fireworks? If you don't like 'em loud, don't go or use earplugs.

That's why God invented earmuff hearing protectors.

Silent fireworks? Hell no! Why rob all of us the opportunity to hear the fireworks? If you don't like 'em loud, don't go or use earplugs.

That's why God invented earmuff hearing protectors.

And should I then put earmuff's on all the dogs and all the kids in the neighborhood? We don't have to go anywhere to hear them loudly. I doubt seriously that silent fireworks are going to take off, but it's interesting that some areas have gone to them.

The next step to me would be a completely electronic show. You could duplicate both the visual and sound effect but do it all with lights and sound coordinated digitally. Perhaps in the future.

The sound doesn't bother us so we have no personal issue with it. It does have a very intense effect on some children and animals though.

Greetings,
Loud fireworks? What about the vets with PTSD? We were at Manteo NC one year and they shot one of the canons off on the Elizabeth (a period sailing vessel attached to the Lost Colony). A neighbor vessel had a mechanic on board in the ER. He was a Vietnam vet and he walked the dock for about 3 hours getting over the fright of the loud noise.

Last edited:
We stayed off the water on the 4th. The Florida ICW is not a safe place on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and the 4th. There is too much drinking while boating for my comfort!

And should I then put earmuff's on all the dogs and all the kids in the neighborhood?

The sound doesn't bother us so we have no personal issue with it. It does have a very intense effect on some children and animals though.

Not a fan of the nanny state. If parents feel fireworks are too intense for children and animals, don't bring them to the show or live near a show venue. To me this is like buying a house at the end of the Miami International Airport, and then complaining that the take off noise and large flying objects are scaring your pets and children.

Ted

Greetings,
Loud fireworks? What about the vets with PTSD? We were at Manteo NC one year and they shot one of the canons off on the Elizabeth (a period sailing vessel attached to the Lost Colony). A neighbor vessel had a mechanic on board in the ER. He was a Vietnam vet and he walked the dock for about 3 hours getting over the fright of the loud noise.

It can be quite debilitating. I have an Army vet friend who had to disable the gong in his microwave. Haven't asked him yet what that reminds him of, but must be bad.

Just got home! Have been on board since Sunday. Loving the new marina, Yacht Harbor Village and the amenities that come along with it. (Ocean Hammock Resort) The fireworks were stellar!!

Sorry I didn't make the rounds Menzies, it was quite a crowd. Most all were on "E" dock?

Yes. We were on the long dock on the condos side - the boat with the flags and bunting!

Most of the others (11 of them) were on E dock.

I told the missus a couple of times I must wander over and see if you were there. But, as trip captain, herding 47 other boaters was a bit of a challenge!

The fireworks were, as usual, excellent. Top class in fact.

We went over to LaPiazza Cafe on Sunday for dinner. That too was very good.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that TF members are having a good time!

This 4th we stayed around town. With family and friends... Linda and I greatly enjoyed a fine small town parade in Woodacre [just east of our San Geronimo]. Was able to get our 93 yr. Matriarch Ruth to the parade and back home. Whole day was filled with fun.

Tomorrow afternoon Linda and I leave for our Tolly. Planning to stay at anchor for 4 to 5 days... runabout fun, swimming, BBQ'n, relaxing... yummmmm!

Yahoooo!! :D :D

Happy Summer-Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Yes. We were on the long dock on the condos side - the boat with the flags and bunting!

Most of the others (11 of them) were on E dock.

I told the missus a couple of times I must wander over and see if you were there. But, as trip captain, herding 47 other boaters was a bit of a challenge!

The fireworks were, as usual, excellent. Top class in fact.

We went over to LaPiazza Cafe on Sunday for dinner. That too was very good.

I'm glad everyone had a good time. It's hard not to at Ocean Hammock. It was my first "party" weekend at the new marina and I too was learning the ropes. I should have walked on down when I went up to the pool. :hide:

I'm glad everyone had a good time. It's hard not to at Ocean Hammock. It was my first "party" weekend at the new marina and I too was learning the ropes. I should have walked on down when I went up to the pool. :hide:

Wifey B: Haven't gone there for a party weekend, but have always enjoyed the trips. We can make it there quickly for a little retreat for a day or two. :)

Thanks to everybody for putting the Trawler Forum together. I have been enjoying the threads for a few months and decided to join. I am not truly a trawler person yet as I have a 52 sedan bridge but I guess I am a wannabe trawler owner some day.
One question I have is what is the best way to anchor in close quarters ....do you need two big anchors for bow and stern or can you get by with a small anchor for the stern?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Don't worry about your vessel or lack of one. I don't think any more than 2 members actually have a "trawler".

Thanks to everybody for putting the Trawler Forum together. I have been enjoying the threads for a few months and decided to join. I am not truly a trawler person yet as I have a 52 sedan bridge but I guess I am a wannabe trawler owner some day.
One question I have is what is the best way to anchor in close quarters ....do you need two big anchors for bow and stern or can you get by with a small anchor for the stern?

Wifey B: Most of us anchor with one big anchor on the bow. Anchor types now are a much debated topic you don't even want to open up. :nonono::nonono::nonono::censored:

I'm guessing you're doing a lot of lake boating and that's where a small stern anchor is common but it's generally for just a few hours and you're in the boat and awake, not for overnight. For coastal cruising with winds and waves, you need more substantial and you do the bow so the boat will swing decently.

Now sometimes some will also anchor the stern. Some also occasionally use two bow anchors but not normally. There's Bahamian Mooring using two anchors, just most in the Bahamas don't use it.

Typically you'll have your one primary anchor attached to a bow pulpit and some form of windless and you might also carry some form of backup anchor. :)

You can use a 52 Sedan Bridge in the same way trawler people use their boats, that is if you don't get technical and go to the fishing definition. We don't own anything that comes close to a trawler, but when we cruise we go to all the same places the others do. :)

I like to swing stern free. In the crowded sections, everyone stern-ties with a second anchor. Lots of these folks are rafted up with 4 or more boats. I like the less crowded sections where the single boats all swing free. The edge of most crowded non-mooring ball anchorages provide the space I prefer.

When I toss a stern anchor, it usually takes too much work to pull to make it worth it to me. Maybe I should install a stern powerwinch. I have a spare sitting in my garage.

OTOH, tonight I'm in the Secret Cove all alone with nothing but trees and nature surrounding me. Conditions are most benign with total wind and current protection. I tossed a stern anchor only to stay centered in the mini-lagoon. Last time I did that...3 days ago, it took me 10-15 minutes of work to break that little Danforth free! Hope I don't have to do that again tomorrow morning.

I took a video of the cove today as I departed for my cool-down dink ride. Maybe if I get it uploaded to YouTube, I'll post it for those who like that kinda stuff...

Thank you for the anchoring advice...I would rather just use the bow anchor, but I guess there must be a good reason for for the small stern anchor and yes I have a had difficulty retrieving it

Nice place, envious. The sound is like anchor chain paying out but that made no sense, has to be outboard engine. That or your shoulder joints need oiling:).
Is it too shallow if the boat swings towards shore?

Nice place, envious. The sound is like anchor chain paying out but that made no sense, has to be outboard engine. That or your shoulder joints need oiling:).
Is it too shallow if the boat swings towards shore?

That noise is the Merc 15 2-stroke idling me around the cove.

The edges are lined with a mat of floating summer moss and weeds. No impact risk in this cove.

After making that video, I went for my dink ride and came back to make dinner. After dinner, I noticed that my stern anchor was not set and my stern was drifting downwind slightly. I pulled in the little Danforth and immediately found the problem. The anchor was fouled in another anchor line.

I retrieved the other line and attached to the other end was a brand new-looking Fortress FX-23! No markings on it from the owner so I guess it's mine now. Another good reason to stern anchor....you might snag someone's lost treasure.

Attachments

• 20170706_193656.jpg
    20170706_193656.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Returned from Alaska today. On the Fourth we were in Canadian waters heading south a day out of Victoria.

We arrived in Sitka on the fourth around noon at the end of our passage back from Prince William Sound. The fireworks were all the night before, so we enjoyed a quiet day with a lot of napping to catch up after the passage. I did catch the parade in town in the afternoon which was fun.

Back
Top Bottom