Old 04-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I've owned PWC's continuously for well over two decades.
We are on our second set of PWC's in fact. The current ones have 150+ HP engines, are five or six years old, and have maybe 10 hours on them.
We keep ours at our home, which is on a lake.

In our 30's we rode the heck out of them.
In our 40's we rode them occasionally
In our 50's we ride them maybe three times a year.

And remember that we live on a lake. The PWC's sit at our dock not 40 feet from our house all summer long so access is not an issue.

For most boats under say 65' you have a choice, PWC(s) or a skiff.

The problem is that when you get to a stage in life that you can afford a large cruiser, you're probably over the "pwc age".

We prefer a nice stable skiff for going to shore, but thats just part of being older I suppose.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:35 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"nobody is stealing a canoe"

nobody steals an aluminum skiff which can be drug on a shore

or left at a dink dock with out worry a condom dink will survive big wakes in the dinghy pack crush..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #23
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

or left at a dink dock with out worry a condom dink will survive big wakes in the dinghy pack crush..
Huh?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Fishbone
Vessel Model: 1990 Nova/ sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

very true, I was more concerned with the outboard disappearing. plus the canoe can be stored in the side racks I have for kayaks or paddle boards
Lunasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #25
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I wish Honda had not gotten out of the Jetski market. They had a solid product and fast too. The "trunk" in the front would hold some groceries but not enough to supply the boat for long. Nothing like zipping along at 70+ mph on smooth water. First time the ex-wife got on hers, she ran it into the dock. 5 minutes in the water and fresh dock rash.

They were lots of fun once she learned the ropes. We also carried the dog on the back for a few trips...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I wish Honda had not gotten out of the Jetski market. They had a solid product and fast too. The "trunk" in the front would hold some groceries but not enough to supply the boat for long. Nothing like zipping along at 70+ mph on smooth water. First time the ex-wife got on hers, she ran it into the dock. 5 minutes in the water and fresh dock rash.

They were lots of fun once she learned the ropes. We also carried the dog on the back for a few trips...
Our Seadoo PWC's have a huge watertight storage "trunk" in the bow, so thats not the issue
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #27
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Smithy, That gazebo at the end of the dock is where I met my wife. Thanks for the memory!
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Is there anything more annoying?
I favor them being used underwater, they have no place above it. How can the rider maintain interest after the first 10 minutes.
Here they are becoming the waterborne province of "motor cycle enthusiasts". Noisy, unpredictable, one was recently filmed attacking an osprey nest using the wake to break up the nest and drown the chicks.
A while back someone posted a youtube vid(mock up) of an Exocet missile used to take one out.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #29
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
The best use of jet skis is to annoy other boaters, and they do.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I favor them being used underwater, they have no place above it. How can the rider maintain interest after the first 10 minutes.
Here they are becoming the waterborne province of "motor cycle enthusiasts". Noisy, unpredictable.
Sailboaters probably say the same thing about any powerboat that goes over 6 knots.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #31
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Ted

I vote for putting them all on the bottom of the sea. That's what you meant by "under water" correct?
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #32
Guru

City: Boston Area
you could always get one with a cargo trailer....

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
While the typical PWC can be annoying, close-by kayakers (five feet from the side of the boat) riding one's boat wave is unnerving.

If turning to starboard was a necessity, I presume I'd step out of the pitlothouse and yell/make visual signals in advance of my maneuver if there was time to do so.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #34
Guru

City: Northport
"Smithy, That gazebo at the end of the dock is where I met my wife. Thanks for the memory!"

Looks like you are still close by so if you ever stop over to Northport the town dock is still the same. If you get there our daughter Danielle is the dockmaster for Northport and the town is even more active then in the past.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #35
Guru

City: Northport
"Noisy, unpredictable, one was recently filmed attacking an osprey nest using the wake to break up the nest and drown the chicks."

The 4 stroke jet skis are very quite and likely you would not even know if they were running standing next to you. Like many things the jet ski is just another boat that is subject to the way the operator utilizes it While I agree that there are a number of jet ski operators that deserve to lose there privilege's of use we have also seen many other boaters that lack even the basic skills and courtesies to keep others safe - even a few trawlers over the years. Imagine that....
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are certainly operators of jet ski's who aren't enjoyable being around, but the same goes for most type boats. I don't like this condemning of something different than what you have. What if those of us with faster boats condemned all trawlers for blocking the routes and slowing us down? The water is for all of us and that includes PWC's where they are following both the laws and the rules of operation. We have loads of PWC's very near our home in an area set up for their use. PWC's allow some people to enjoy the water who otherwise couldn't, due to their low prices and rental availability. Then others just have fun on them. We don't own a PWC, but I think some of the attacks on them are quite inappropriate. It's no different than power vs. sail boat arguments. I do think some form of licensing for operation is appropriate as I believe it to be for all boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #37
Master and Commander

The behavior of PWCs is much different than trawlers in general. Trawlers have a destination or outing in mind while PWCs want to go fast and make 'fancy' maneuvers. Don't remember observing trawlers making erratic maneuvers like PWCs.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The behavior of PWCs is much different than trawlers in general. Trawlers have a destination or outing in mind while PWCs want to go fast and make 'fancy' maneuvers. Don't remember observing trawlers making erratic maneuvers like PWCs.
And who says PWC owners don't have a right to make fancy maneuvers and enjoy the water? Trawlers make plenty of erratic maneuvers just at very slow speeds. I just don't understand why we seem to have so many issues with sharing the water.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #39
Master and Commander

I expect fast and erratic movements from PWCs because of their very nature, and plan appropriately (high alert!).

I presume PWC operators are unfamiliar with COLREGs but operate under the rule of self-preservation (if sane and sober).

Erratic operators should realize that the burden to avoid collision is largely on them.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I expect fast and erratic movements from PWCs because of their very nature, and plan appropriately (high alert!).

I presume PWC operators are unfamiliar with COLREGs but operate under the rule of self-preservation (if sane and sober).

Erratic operators should realize that the burden to avoid collision is largely on them.
I've seen some very responsible operators of PWC's who comply with every regulation.