Jet Skiier Sucked Under By Cargo Ship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Riding a classic stand up jet ski is a lost art. Everyone that rides them are highly skilled.......or not that good. There is no in between. Coincidently, I went for a dinghy ride today and there was a guh on a stand up jet ski and he was not that good....you could tell he was learning. I heard him coming up on me and almost freaked out!!!!! Imagine him coming up into my dinghy and hurting me after all of this discourse.....hahaha!!!!

By the time I first rode a motorcycle I has so many miles on bicycles and tractors the only thing to learn to get started was first up then second++ down and finding neutral without going back to first. Oh and counter steering. That really snaps a bike into the turns.

You could be right about the jet ski rider being a bit off balance to start a turn. That supports my theory that given not much of a wake, not very fast moving jet ski, nothing happening very fast or furious but still he managed to hit the ship. Perhaps he should work on getting some experience before he pushes the envelope.

British bike?:socool:

Folks he yanked his arm away from hitting the side of the ship and pulled out the lanyard killing the ski's engine - so he couldn't accelerate away.

Folks he yanked his arm away from hitting the side of the ship and pulled out the lanyard killing the ski's engine - so he couldn't accelerate away.

Yep, he screwed himself good.

Yep, he made the most basic of beginner mistakes, he got out of the throttle instead of nailing it WOT. Planes, motorcycles, jet skis... all operate under the same, “When in doubt, throttle it out” principle of applying power to gain stability and maneuverability as well as maximizing the distance between you and the object that needs to be avoided.

You're not a pilot are you.......

(Hint, I am.... so cut your losses..... :D

A while back, someone posted an amusing vid of a Hobie cat launched Exocet heat seeking missile destroying a jetski. Anyone know it, able to repost it?

You're not a pilot are you.......

(Hint, I am.... so cut your losses..... :D

Uh, yes, yes I am, have even owned a few airplanes. You know what is entailed in a go around?

I’m with Comodave.
I get nervous as hell when jet-skiers cross my wake. This is a ship, not a boat. One more time, idiot.

Wow, that must have been petrifying for him. We've all done "stupid" things, that doesn't mean we deserve to be lambasted online. This is a good lesson for us all, but why do we delight in kicking a guy who has been through something like this? Seems pretty mean spirited. I hope everyone has a much better day than this guy had!

That was well past the point of extracting himself from the situation. He never should have been up against the ship. My answer was how he got there. Nobody in their right mind would get that close. He didn’t mean to get that close. He just didn’t do what he needed to do to get himself away from the ship.

Junk

I disagree with their analysis here. The reason it went under is because his lanyard got pulled out (because he hit the side of the ship, or tried to use his lanyard arm to push away from the ship). Because of that he lost momentum THEN got sucked under.

Full video is near the bottom of the article.

Of course the real reason is the stupidity of the jet skier. Lucky boy.

[Warning there is one F bomb at the very end]

https://www.marineinsight.com/video...GPLr6By5BWzXsu8kZFCSGpQxgIwSwdyviGzVq3fCUgR9o

I really don't understand this posting? WTF does this have to do with a Trawler Forum? I saw the response, are YOU just trying to make this a another UTube site?
YOU want to "chat" with others about misc "S**T, go to another site.
This is a site about Boats, Trawlers, Cruisers, solutions, etc. NOT about jetski videos!

I don't alway's find useful info here, but enjoy the resource. But this is JUNK!

I really don't understand this posting? WTF does this have to do with a Trawler Forum? I saw the response, are YOU just trying to make this a another UTube site?
This is a site about Boats, Trawlers, Cruisers, solutions, etc. NOT about jetski videos!

I don't alway's find useful info here, but enjoy the resource. But this is JUNK!

And you sir, are way outta line with your tone. Uncalled for. If you don't like the thread don't read it. Or maybe you're the one who should go to another site?

I’m with Comodave.
I get nervous as hell when jet-skiers cross my wake. This is a ship, not a boat. One more time, idiot.

Lol, I was pushing a barge up the Petaluma River once and this boat kept coming at me head on then turning in to sling a wake boarder over my bow wake going forward. Me and my deckhand were in the wheel house just waiting for the dude to get slammed into the side of the barge, but they were good at it. It was a good show even if he didn’t crash, he had some good stunts and even managed a grind on the corner of the bow once.

And you sir, are way outta line with your tone. Uncalled for. If you don't like the thread don't read it. Or maybe you're the one who should go to another site?

Well, I wouldn't know what the thread is if I didn't read it? NOT needed here, this is for site HAS and IS for GOOD INFO, constructive feedback, actual experience:dance:!

Maybe at your pushing 70, you need to go ON!

Well, I wouldn't know what the thread is if I didn't read it? NOT needed here, this is for site HAS and IS for GOOD INFO, constructive feedback, actual experience:dance:!

Maybe at your pushing 70, you need to go ON!

Take it easy, turkey. If you freak out at every little thing you don't like on the internet, you'll never make it to 70.

Menzies' post is very relevant.

1) Many of us are noticing increased jet-ski-related risks and disturbances. Discussion among those of us in trawlers/motor yachts about how to react to jet-ski behavior is good and, unfortunately, necessary discussion. This topic has come up in numerous threads.

2) You have undoubtedly noticed many, many newbies coming to this forum. Most are coming into boating for the first time. Discussions like this underscore the risk for ANY pleasure craft coming too close to big ships. It's good safety discussion and will hopefully, help prevent some accidents.

Too close?

On a slight tangent, but somewhat related...

A couple of years ago, we wanted to make a passage of about 75nm down the south western coast of Sweden. It was one of those end-of-holiday-had-to-be-back-to-work scenarios. We were about to give up on this passage because of the unsuitably high waves that day. Just as we were making this decision, along comes a slow-moving freighter which, according to the AIS was headed to the same destination we were. I thought I'd see what the ride would be like following the freighter, relying on him to be a "wave breaker". It worked out well, following at about the distance you can see in the photograph. I didn't especially like doing this, but the risk seemed minimal at the time. I thought of radioing the captain to see if he minded, but I didn't. He didn't radio me either. The crew knew I was there, as I could see them on deck. Nobody waved me off. Furthermore, we were broadcasting a class B AIS signal, so the ship likely could have seen us that way as well (unless they had filtered out Class B signals).

Would I do this again? Based on my experience on this run, I think so, as it all seemed to work out well. I'm curious as to what others on the forum think...

Attachments

• tc.jpg
    tc.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 24
Following a freighter like that wouldn't concern me. Just stay back far enough for the prop wash to smooth out and keep an extra good watch. As long as there's not too much other traffic around, a 90+ degree turn and increase in throttle gives you plenty of ability to bail out and get some distance quickly if needed.

Following a freighter like that wouldn't concern me. Just stay back far enough for the prop wash to smooth out and keep an extra good watch. As long as there's not too much other traffic around, a 90+ degree turn and increase in throttle gives you plenty of ability to bail out and get some distance quickly if needed.

AIS and a good visual, crew knows you are there, :thumb::thumb:

A couple of years ago, we wanted to make a passage of about 75nm down the south western coast of Sweden. It was one of those end-of-holiday-had-to-be-back-to-work scenarios. We were about to give up on this passage because of the unsuitably high waves that day. Just as we were making this decision, along comes a slow-moving freighter which, according to the AIS was headed to the same destination we were. I thought I'd see what the ride would be like following the freighter, relying on him to be a "wave breaker". It worked out well, following at about the distance you can see in the photograph. I didn't especially like doing this, but the risk seemed minimal at the time. I thought of radioing the captain to see if he minded, but I didn't. He didn't radio me either. The crew knew I was there, as I could see them on deck. Nobody waved me off. Furthermore, we were broadcasting a class B AIS signal, so the ship likely could have seen us that way as well (unless they had filtered out Class B signals).

Would I do this again? Based on my experience on this run, I think so, as it all seemed to work out well. I'm curious as to what others on the forum think...

Good use of their fuel breaking the seas for you, that’s what I think from the perspective of both wheelhouses.

No worries from the ship. But it depends on how much clearance there is under his keel. In certain areas a ship or tug will suck logs and debris up from the bottom and the prop wash will pull it to the surface.

It can be especially bad in the ICW.

Thank you for the feedback on my "Too close?" post, RSLIFKIN,OldDan1943, Caphenning & Jhall767.

@Jhall767 - you raise a point I will remember to consider in the future, as it's something that's not occurred to me before. Fortunately, on the run I described in my post, the depth was 25-50 meters, so no logs & debris. Had to keep a lookout for semi-submerged shipping containers, however!

Back
Top Bottom