Old 06-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #41
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Interesting.

Do you believe that you were somehow not stung or that in some way you did not react to the venom?

Oh, it stung like hell, but that is NOT an allergic reaction. That is a normal reaction to the venom. An allergic reaction is life threatening.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:13 AM   #42
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I suppose the warmth of the urnine would help some....but you are supposed to soak in warm water for 30 minutes......I don't want to meet the guy that can pee for 30 minutes !
LOL, gather up your surfing buddies.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #43

City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Just a little humour
Attached Thumbnails
B4396F41-1E4F-4730-B67D-A1E1049B774B.jpeg  
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #44
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer View Post
Just a little humour
HAHA love it

Growing up in Florida with the intercostal in my backyard we always knew "The Best remedy"

Nothing worked great but boy did vinegar help and then we would take benydrl and put antihistamine cream on.

Also I wanted to thank you guys for posts on the Epipens unfortunately I carry them with me all the time in the last 20 years have had to use them them twice once myself and once a friend used it on my NOT FUN but a life saver!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We have a medical kit full of stuff we hope we never use. Only time for Epi-pen was at marina in Bimini and mom in adjacent boat was panicking as son was having an attack and she couldn't find his pen. Used it and emt arrived about 40 min later, by which time he was fine. They had gone to the wrong marina, perhaps their mistake, perhaps caller. Oh, she located her pen that night.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #46
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Jellyfish Attack!!!

When I was in HS some buddies and I took a trip the beach at Port Aransas one day. We saw a bunch of funny looking blue bubbles all over the beach near the water. One of my buds decided to run around stomping on the bubbles. We later realized they were Man O War jellies. His feet were in some considerable pain (I assume he also stomped on some tentacles), but we were stupid HS kids and didn’t know what to do, so we just drank more beer.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #47
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post

As an aside...A few years back we were transiting the ICW and ran through a "school" of jelly fish. Not quite as dense as the above gif but there must have been dozens upon dozens over a 4 or 5 mile stretch. Big 'uns as well. Some upwards of 10" in diameter...
Last century I was sailing on the inside of the keys in the summer. Well, sailing is not correct since there was no wind so we were motoring... Twas hot as heck, the engine made it hotter down below, so when we anchored for the night, it was time for a swim! Just as I was about to dive overboard, I noticed the water was full of jelly fish. Never seen that many jelly fish in my life. Before or since. They were as thick, if not thicker, than the photo.

Thankfully, I noticed the jelly fish before anyone jumped into the water. It would have been ugly.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #48
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Last century I was sailing on the inside of the keys in the summer. Well, sailing is not correct since there was no wind so we were motoring... Twas hot as heck, the engine made it hotter down below, so when we anchored for the night, it was time for a swim! Just as I was about to dive overboard, I noticed the water was full of jelly fish. Never seen that many jelly fish in my life. Before or since. They were as thick, if not thicker, than the photo.

Thankfully, I noticed the jelly fish before anyone jumped into the water. It would have been ugly.

Later,
Dan
I came across that when diving off Miami a long time ago. Unfortunately that was the one day I did not wear my skin (thin wetsuit). It was a paranoid dive! I suppose it was breeding season or something.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #49
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
[QUOTE=dannc;673862]Just as I was about to dive overboard, I noticed the water was full of jelly fish. Never seen that many jelly fish in my life. Before or since. They were as thick, if not thicker, than the photo. /QUOTE]

My two jelly stories...

Riding on a jetski behind Dewey Beach. The old stand-up kind. Just as I was throttling up and about to heave myself up... the ski plowed right into a bunch of jellies. Which were immediately sucked up into the impeller, ground up and summarily ejected out the stern... and straight down my shorts.

It was like someone had thrust a running belt sander into my crotch.

It was all I could to do to throttle that bastard out to the deeper water and drop as low as I could into the colder water. While hollering for a buddy to head back to shore and get me a BIG ASS BAG OF ICE. I straddled that bag for over an hour before I could move again. The rental guy just cancelled the bill after hearing what had happened (and refusing my suggestion of "you want to SEE the welts?"). Walked like a bow-legged cowboy for days after that.

The second was wading off Oxford, MD in late July. My wife had already taken the plunge. I was about calf-deep when I noticed what I thought were just reflections off the waves were, in fact, a huge number of jellies just below the surface. I stepped back just in time. My wife was not quite as lucky, but thankfully had on a decent swim shirt.

Since then we've had great success using a Nettle Net behind out boat when anchored. ABSOLUTELY worth the money. We've had one for about 6 years now and it's held up quite well. Works great. The idea is you deploy it into the water bottom first. As it spreads, any jellies around are pushed away on the outside, leaving clear water inside. A simple washdown with the hose on the transom while retrieving is all it takes to keep it clean.