JD coolant system service ballpark cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NWboater2

Vessel Name
Ripple
Vessel Make
2005 Grand Banks 42 EU
Single 05 JD 6068sfm50 2300 hours new to me. Knew it needed the coolant system serviced from survey. Working on that. Got a local estimate of $9200. Around half of that for an “aftercooler maintenance kit.” I assume that’s a real thing, but what’s in it??

I thought most of the job was labor plus sending the parts to a radiator shop…
Seems high, from the limited info I’ve found here on that topic.

Not going to do it myself this time. I want to zero out the maintenance - may not have had cooling system apart before but it lived in lake union most of its life. Impeller is new and not in estimate, but estimate does includes oil and coolant and transmission oil change. Should I bite the bullet or keep looking. Kraken ghosted me—Disappointing. Might try again if this is not in line with the going rate.

I’m looking for an LTR with a good local diesel guy. South puget sound. Had hoped I found one but wow. Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
I can buy new aftercoolers for mt Cummins 6CTAs for around $5K. The service kit is $185.00. Your quote seems way out of line unless yours is something really special. These prices are for genuine Cummins parts from sbmar.com.

Is there an access issue? What kind of boat? A 100% cooling system R&R should include:
- replace coolant
- remove and clean engine and transmission HXers
- new RW pump impeller
- open up and check exhaust elbow area
- remove and clean after cooler
- hoses checked and or replaced

Costs vary. With your work list in hand arrange an appointment and personally go talk with several notable yards or good shops in your area. Likely a TF member can recommend a good mechanic in the Tacoma area to establish a strong working rapport with. Our BC mechanic has been with us for 15 years. Honest, quick and efficient is the guy you're looking for.

Our after coolers alone were just removed and cleaned with labor on each one at 8 hours and the radiator shop costing around $350.

I’d try kraken again. If you don’t have any luck, I’ll check with my son that works at nordlunds to see who they use.

I'm not clear on what the $9200 quote includes. Is that the total for all the service which includes coolant, engine oil & filter, transmission oil & filter? What are they proposing for the cooling system? Heat exchanger service? Aftercooler service? Are they replacing them, or taking them apart, cleaning, then reassembling with new seals? What's NOT being done with the "service kit" Based on the price difference, it's probably disassembly, cleaning, reassembly of the aftercooler vs straight replacement.

If the boat has lived in Lake Union, I wouldn't expect the aftercooler or heat exchanger to need anything more than inspection and cleaning.

Try Anderson Diesel. I don't know if they work in that area or not, but worth a call.

Ouch!

I will be doing my 5,000 hour coolant system service on my JD 4045TFM75 in March (did it at 2,500 hours). Will replace coolant, thermostats, radiator cap, and anodes. Will rebuild raw water pump (impeller, bearings, and seals), service heat exchanger, service transmission cooler, and inspect exhaust elbow. The engine doesn't have an after cooler. I will probably have $500 in parts.

It sounds like you're replacing the core assembly in the after cooler and buying a new raw water pump.

Ted

Thanks for the replies guys. It's an 05 GB 42 EU single with easy, if not stand-up, access.

The JD got up to 202 at 2600 RPM (rated max) on sea trial, surveyor said we should change the impeller and have coolant system serviced before cruising season. We used that info to negotiate on price, accepted, closed, replaced impeller that day. Old one was intact, if a lil tired. Haven't been back to WOT or to a temp over 180 since.

I asked for an oil change for JD and the ZF280 A-1 transmission (oil samples on both were very good, but it's time, and I want to start at 0). So that's part of the $9200.
Also asked for service on cooling system which I understand to be primarily the HEX, transmission oil cooler, and aftercooler. NO new water pump or impeller.

I am not sure what the "aftercooler service kit" ($4200) is for, or whether it is for sure needed. I will ask, but wanted to get some info before I said sure do it at that price, or sorry I'm gonna keep looking. How much can a whole new aftercooler be?
Proposal estimates three days labor, he said it may be less (hasn't seen the boat).

No reason yet to think any of the major parts need to be replaced- just removed, cleaned, tested, reinstalled. proposal includes anodes, Orings, filters, oil (little over 8 gallons!), coolant, etc. also "radiator" cap, thermostats, check hoses and belts. Did not talk about exhaust elbow specifically, but I will.

I don't want to name names cuz I'm not sure yet that I'm getting a bad deal. Hatton in seattle did the engine survey. I am looking for a guy like sunchaser describes. Any dos or donts in the selection of such a guy in this area are welcome. As are follow up qs for me, or for me to ask him.
Thanks!

Last edited:
First I would ask exactly what is included in the aftercooler service kit. $9,200 is outrageous. As I said above the aftercooler service kit for my 6CTAs is $195 and that includes a tube of lubricant, anodes and O rings. If the aftercooler is in good condition that should be all the parts needed. The core may need cleaning out, but that is labor. A new aftercooler for my engines is less than $5K for a genuine Cummins one. I would check with another vendor and see what they say. Maybe Seattles prices have just gone crazy…

Called my contact. he was on a job and hadn't reviewed the proposal itself, himself.
He thought that it was Orings and anodes and gaskets and stuff (which are separately and more reasonably priced). Asked why it was $4200? he said "holy **** i will have to look at that. wow. that does not sound right" He's gonna research and revise.
so maybe it's an easy correction. will advise.
thanks all.

Called my contact. he was on a job and hadn't reviewed the proposal itself, himself.
He thought that it was Orings and anodes and gaskets and stuff (which are separately and more reasonably priced). Asked why it was $4200? he said "holy **** i will have to look at that. wow. that does not sound right" He's gonna research and revise.
so maybe it's an easy correction. will advise.
thanks all.

Hopefully they made a huge error in coming up with the estimate.

I'd say. I took out the cooling core, inspected, and replaced anodes on my 4045. It was my first time with that engine and it was a fun afternoon project. It's in the owner's manual. Nothing difficult. Gaskets etc are available from Deere at reasonable cost.

I understand that aftercoolers are more complex and critical, but that seems like a ton of money to me.

When I needed to have my transmission heat exchanger rebuilt it was $3200 parts and labor.

I suspect the $4200 is for a new unit, not just the service parts which should be in the low $100s.

I am not entirely surprised. I am guessing he got a quote from the multiple S guys. Some people in ‘Seattle are very busy and don’t need the work.

Single 05 JD 6068sfm50 2300 hours new to me. Knew it needed the coolant system serviced from survey. Working on that. Got a local estimate of $9200. Around half of that for an “aftercooler maintenance kit.” I assume that’s a real thing, but what’s in it??

I thought most of the job was labor plus sending the parts to a radiator shop…
Seems high, from the limited info I’ve found here on that topic.

Not going to do it myself this time. I want to zero out the maintenance - may not have had cooling system apart before but it lived in lake union most of its life. Impeller is new and not in estimate, but estimate does includes oil and coolant and transmission oil change. Should I bite the bullet or keep looking. Kraken ghosted me—Disappointing. Might try again if this is not in line with the going rate.

I’m looking for an LTR with a good local diesel guy. South puget sound. Had hoped I found one but wow. Thoughts? Thanks!

Without details of what the estimate entails any comments are going to be of low value.

I’m shocked! Glad I don’t have a turbo with after cooler! Who provided the quote? Someone in the office?

I’ve replace my coolant, tranny and oil coolers and had my heat exchanger (and spare) pressure tested and boiled by a rad shop. I think the rad shop cost $500. The new coolers were <$200 a piece.

If I was looking at $9500 for engine service on a regular basis, I’d be selling my boat.

Jim

We had the coolant systems on our twin JD 6068SFM50s and the Westerbeke generator inspected, cleaned, tested, and repaired/replaced 2 yrs ago when we bought our boat. It cost $11,000. The engines had about 2500hrs. One of the heat exchangers had a small hole which was repaired at radiator shop. The generator heat exchanger had to be replaced ($675). All the hoses, clamps, o-rings, gaskets, belts, thermostats, coolant, and anodes were replaced. I was charged $461 for one Aftercooler seal kit. I don't know whats in it either. Tried to look it up but couldn't find any photos or description. I think there were enough spare o-rings and gaskets onboard for the other aftercooler. One belt tensioner was replaced. They also replaced both raw water pumps with new ones I purchased separately. Labor was $6700 for the mechanic and his assistant.

According to the Engine Surveyor, the aftercoolers and heat exchangers should be removed, cleaned, inspected, and tested every 5 years.

Here is a link to parts for your engine
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/67451

Thank you quinsky. That is useful.
Got the revised bid - now under $5k pretax for 2x oil change, plus hex/oil cooler/aftercooler removal, service and reinstall. That “kit” was not what it sounded like and not correct. Thanks!

Thank you quinsky. That is useful.
Got the revised bid - now under $5k pretax for 2x oil change, plus hex/oil cooler/aftercooler removal, service and reinstall. That “kit” was not what it sounded like and not correct. Thanks!

Sounds much better.

According to JD engineering there is nothing wrong with your temps. I purchased a new boat with this engine and it ran 185 until about 2000 rpm and then it would creep up with rpm increase. At wot it would reach around the same as yours while running in hot water. Jd engineering informed me that the first alarm on the engine is not till 120 and the second is 130. They did tear the whole cooling system down and replaced water pump, heat exchanger/exhaust manifold just to be sure. No change. I ran the boat for 12 years and 2000 hrs without any changes or problems.

Inspect the front two ports on the exhaust manifold. The first is a coolant port and the second is the exhaust port for number one. Look very closely while operating for coolant seepage. Its minor. The two ports are so close together and have such different thermal loads that it causes gasket seepage. It was a design flaw that contributes to higher temps. The fix they did to mine was to have a machine shop mill an on o ring grove around the water port mating surface and cut off the new gasket portion that would have covered this port.

I was floored on your initial price ! it makes the revised price sound like a deal , it just seems that service prices are really getting crazy , would a perkins or a 6-71 detroit ever need 5k in "service" not repairs , but service ? end of rant : )

Yeah whenyou start at 9, 5 sounds like oh I better snap that up before someone else does! That’s why mattresses are always on sale I guess

I’m hoping I’m getting my regret out of the way early, rather than after I tried and failed to do it myself, with an aftercooler failure in haro straight. I’m gonna be there when they take it apart. Next time it needs it maybe I’ll be turning the wrench. Thanks all. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Lot more questions to follow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom