Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Jacksonville, FL Marinas

Any suggestions for a marina in the Jacksonville, FL area that is not on the ICW or near St Augustine. We will be liveaboards and some green space for the dog/us would be a plus. Of course a good local pub near by would be an added bonus. Is there such a place out there? Thanks in advance!
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Larry, take a look at this one.

About the Marina - Jacksonville Area Information
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: somewhere
How about up around Green Cove Springs on the St Johns?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Mr Moderator....I'm not trying to take anyone away from this site...but I think Larry M get the info he wants by going here.. http://www.life-aboard.com/forum/viewforum.php

There are several people on that site that are Liveaboards in the JAX area and can give him the lowdown on the area.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I would not recommend GCS. Staff, security, cleanliness, distance to shore amenities, etc. Oh did I mention the staff:-(!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Green cove Springs is far from the necessities of cruising. Ons suggestion of Rtega Landing is a good one. Close to Publix, Worst Marine and restaraunts. Nice area. If you have bicycles aboard, your set. Jacksonville Intl Airport is 30 min drive.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Try Ortega Landing a great marina although now under new management so I can't vouch for their latest stats although logging onto Active Captain should give you acurate reviews

They are close to many necessities and not too far from the airport or downtown Jacksonville
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
TF Site Team

Green Cove is too far out of town for us. My mom and sister live in Jacksonville who I haven't seen in 2 years. That's the reason we're going back.

Ortega Landing is definitely looking good. Thanks all! The easy accessibility to stores and services is great. Two weeks ago I got behind the wheel of a car for the first time since March of 2011. Fortunately it was in Puerto Rico and I just blended in with the rest of the drivers.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Guru

Also, Sadler pt marina and Lambs boatyard are very close to Ortega Landing. Lambs is where you can drool over the Huckins Boats and Sadler has a Used boat equip chandlery that was recently purchased by the owner of Sailors exchange (St Aug). They are adding inventory daily.
Also close by (for the quadraped members of your crew) is San Juan animal hospital. That is where my dogs and cats go! Tell em "petey" sent you
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Green Cove is too far out of town for us. My mom and sister live in Jacksonville who I haven't seen in 2 years. That's the reason we're going back.

Ortega Landing is definitely looking good. Thanks all! The easy accessibility to stores and services is great. Two weeks ago I got behind the wheel of a car for the first time since March of 2011. Fortunately it was in Puerto Rico and I just blended in with the rest of the drivers.
Just a suggestion. It's off the beaten path a bit...
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Ortega Landing is the first in a mile of marinas. My recommendation is Ortega Landing. I keep my boat there. I'm not a live aboard, but there are plenty here. Close to groceries, restaurants, banks, West Marine, pubs etc.
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
TF Site Team

I sent an email to Ortega Landing to ask a couple questions. Within a few hours, Bruce the Dockmaster responded. All positive and he mentioned discounts for long term stays.

Sailor of Fortune: We'll also check out Lambs. I did a tour of the Huckins yard in 2007 while discussing work on a boat project boat. It's nice to hear that the boats and craftsman ship is still there.

Thanks all.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
TF Site Team

We're in a slip at Ortega Landing. The first time we've been tied to land since Trinidad.

We're here for a while so if you're in the area, stop buy.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We're in a slip at Ortega Landing. The first time we've been tied to land since Trinidad.

We're here for a while so if you're in the area, stop buy.
Great, Larry. Glad you are settled. We may get that way in the fall by car. My grandson starts Flagler College just down the road in St Augustine.

Sorry we missed you in Ft. Pierce. I saw that you were in Vero Beach, but we were already home. Did you come in Ft. Pierce Inlet?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
TF Site Team

QUOTE=Moonstruck;162709]Great, Larry. Glad you are settled. We may get that way in the fall by car. My grandson starts Flagler College just down the road in St Augustine.

Sorry we missed you in Ft. Pierce. I saw that you were in Vero Beach, but we were already home. Did you come in Ft. Pierce Inlet?[/QUOTE]

Don: We came in at Lake Worth to clear in with CBP and what a good experience. A quick phone call and then a physical presence required with in 24 hours. We were at their office at 7:30 the next morning (they open at 8). Agriculture let us off on their floor. CBP processed us (with a smile). On the way out they asked us how we got onto their floor since it's locked till 8. It was no problem and we got a "Welcome back".

We left for Ft. P inlet since we still had flat seas and wanted to enjoy that 2+ knots of the Gulf Stream pushing us north. The extra bonus was we got lucky and caught a nice black-fin tuna along the way. We arrived early and continued on to Vero, thinking that might be a good place to sit out Andreas.

Your grandson (you) will love Flagler - what a spectacular setting. We stopped for a few days in St. Augustine. From a cruiser's standpoint, they make it real easy with a good marina/moorings, that aren't usually full, plus everything within walking distance or a $5 cab ride.

Hope to see you.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Guru

Maybe we should have a get together in Jax.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Maybe we should have a get together in Jax.
That would be great! I'm in VT with family till Thursday, I'll send you a PM when I get back.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Guru

We're down in Ormond Beach. We may want to take a ride up.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #19

City: EC FL
Jax and TF members

I’m only 50 miles away from Ortega Landing, and would like to meet up. I’ve already met a few Loopers there and helped them with moving vehicles around. Plenty of people helped us when we were full time cruisers.

I can carry 2 other couples in my dual cab pick up. Lot’s of great places to eat in Avondale.

I understand if it doesn't work out.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Guru

I'm on the tug until June 26, after that pretty much anytime would work. I live about 7 miles from Ortega Landing. If Mike, beachbum or others are coming from the south, we could meet in St Augustine. I'm easy