I've built a prototype AI model that helps buyers make a better decision on what boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boat purchase AI

I don't think, even having a boat that is THE boat, that when I was looking, I could use your app.

I think that many go out looking for a boat that on paper, gally up, 3 heads or any other criteria you might select, looks good THEN they see the boat that they buy. It is the look.

We all know that a boat is a list of compromises, and I can't see the benefit.

Try your AI app on finding a mate, I'd think it is a similar process.

All this said, I'm the guy that when Microsoft came out, I said it would never last.

Good luck.

Don't think I'd apply the term AI to what is being discussed.

IMO, AI [with intelligent - being the operative base-word] needs to be readily able to weigh and balance subjectives and objectives, understand instant alternating nuances and due to millions of sudden occurrences change its [artificial] mind at the drop of a hat. In other words, to truly hold the title of really being "AI", IT needs to be able to "think" and "reason" for "making decisions" on the "cold-facts" in similar interactive manners to the human brain.

Unfortunately... Even when what I mention above as well as other AI operative requirements are met... the human salvation of "emotions" will probably be missing. Therefore, what scares me most about AI development is the automatically ruthless-bent on decisions AI will non emotionally make. I guess, that political positions will be amongst the most often filled spaces with AI unts... Kinda seems to somewhat be that way already. LOL

Anyway: Yes, it seems that a well formatted program to assist some levels of boat buyers make their decisions would offer easy to use assistance.

However: For buyers who have decades experience in boat buying, using, maintaining, building, enjoying, selling - and - then buying again to do that sequence over and over. I doubt it would be much help. After many decades of boating... the answers for fulfilling our needs and desires become laser printed in our brains and the effort functions get represented on our hands' numerous scars! For most scars... I can tell you the year, season and reason it happened. :D :thumb: :popcorn:

:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

Last edited:
Well, OP hasn't been back. I guess we have outlived our usefulness.

Yup. The original post reminds me of a guy that comes upon an open cesspool, stirs it with a stick to find out what it is, and runs like hell when he gets the answer.

AI as a decision aid for a purely subjective discretionary purchase? Nah.

Now why did I even bother to respond???

Pete

Yup. The original post reminds me of a guy that comes upon an open cesspool, stirs it with a stick to find out what it is, and runs like hell when he gets the answer.

AI as a decision aid for a purely subjective discretionary purchase? Nah.

Now why did I even bother to respond???

Pete

Your Tolly made you do it!! :ermm: :thumb:

Well, OP hasn't been back. I guess we have outlived our usefulness, but I was hoping he would answer my question about the dataset on which he trains his AI. His idea of using AI software to help select the perfect boat isn't viable, IMO, primarily because the validation data just isn't available. If the concept worked, there would be a much broader market for things like helping to select the ideal career. Of course, there is the Kuder Preference Survey for that, but it doesn't use AI and instead seeks to correlate a subject responses with those who report being either exceptionally satisfied, or dissatisfied in their careers. I can't imagine how a good AI data set would be collected for something like that, and was really curious to hear OP's answers.

Of course, these days it is fashionable to slap the AI label on everything, regardless of whether the underlying technology makes any actual use of AI, just as renaming XYZ Company to XYZ.com was in vogue 30 (?) years ago to hugely increase a company's market cap without any actual change to the business plan, beyond a vague intention to create an internet presence accessible through a website at XYZ.com.

I doubt there is any training (or test) data out there. Many responded to his/her post with concepts that would need to measured, but I am doubtful any such data exist. To other comments, IMHO one of the biggest threats to AI is crap AI and the distrust it breeds. The methods already have a black box component and crappy data will lead to crappy inference that will eventually be refuted. Sure there may be methods such as deep learning/neural networks that theoretically mimics the human brain, but we are really a long way off before such methods actually do so well. I also agree that AI is such a fancy, overused buzzword that's having a day - the potential is actually really cool but the link between what's actually possible today and people's thinking is rather out of sync.

If the OP truly bought a Sea Stella 55 his boating chops could use some real I, forget the A.

iu

I wouldn't consider using it unless it was Military Grade, Titanium, Carbon, Space Age, Thermonuclear, Green AI. I'm sure I missed some buzzwords there but you can fill in.

Is the end product a vessel type, or a specific make and model? If the latter, how is the OP evaluating builders I wonder? I've dedicated much of my career to doing that and it requires constant gathering of data, which is then measured against decades of boat building experience.

Is the end product a vessel type, or a specific make and model? If the latter, how is the OP evaluating builders I wonder? I've dedicated much of my career to doing that and it requires constant gathering of data, which is then measured against decades of boat building experience.

And I suspect that collecting data broadly enough to include much detail on a broad range of limited production, niche boats, like Mikelson's Nomad, isn't even feasible.

Last edited:
It's already been done - ChatGPT.

Just do "what boat should I buy" and do exactly what it tells you...and if you don't like the advice, just press the "Try Again" until it does

Then Final Home... The Big H - AC'd with fine food, fun learning events, good souls sharing dialogue... or... Hot as HELL with DT and followers forever continuing to spout off BS rhetoric!!
???

It's already been done - ChatGPT.

Just do "what boat should I buy" and do exactly what it tells you...and if you don't like the advice, just press the "Try Again" until it does

Yes I tried that last week and the response was essentially a "best of" the responses you get from posting on the forum. It was really spot on covering many if not all of the important considerations for most buyers. That chatbot is an amazing tool and a lot of fun to play with!

Greetings,
I just tried that chat API and the only responses I got were to the effect of "I haven't been programmed to answer those questions". Obviously NOT boaters. I don't really care what Abe Lincoln had for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom