It's Shrimping Season!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nautibeaver

Vessel Name
NautiBeaver
Vessel Make
Nordlund 68'
Yum! Love these guys. IMG_2831.JPGIMG_2825.JPGIMG_2822.JPGIMG_2830.JPG.

Did not put check box for Shrimp.....

Unfortunately, shrimp here is worth only as bait.

Prawns
A prawn trawler is what our vessel was in a previous life.

The Louisiana Inshore Waters shrimp season opens tomorrow, May 8 for the center portion of the coast, the west and east portions open May15.
I was at my fishing camp in Cocodrie, south of Houma yesterday, lots of trawlers of all sizes were heading out to their favorite spots to be ready for the opening at 6 AM.

I just checked and found that the Recreational fishery for Prawns in BC doesn't open until May 12th. With my brand new Fishing license, I will be ready, as the BC Spot Prawn is my favourite Seafood.

I just checked and found that the Recreational fishery for Prawns in BC doesn't open until May 12th. With my brand new Fishing license, I will be ready, as the BC Spot Prawn is my favourite Seafood.

We shrimped/prawned out of Everett. However leave for 4-5 days of dedicated fishing and shrimping in the San Juans on wed. Looking forward to it. Last year we had one pot with 357 spot prawns in it. Good thing As we are catching for 10 people and only allowed to fish with 4 pots.....lingcod and Spot prawns...what food dreams are made of.

The Louisiana Inshore Waters shrimp season opens tomorrow, May 8 for the center portion of the coast, the west and east portions open May15.
I was at my fishing camp in Cocodrie, south of Houma yesterday, lots of trawlers of all sizes were heading out to their favorite spots to be ready for the opening at 6 AM.
Yep, getting the freezer ready- The Shrimpers are worried all the fresh water might effect their catch. AND can you believe it. The Feds are giving recreational fishermen a whoping3 Day season for Red Snapper:facepalm:

Many areas in BC are open year round--Howe Sound for instance. Commercial opens for prawns May 11, I understand.

Jim

Yep, getting the freezer ready- The Shrimpers are worried all the fresh water might effect their catch. AND can you believe it. The Feds are giving recreational fishermen a whoping3 Day season for Red Snapper:facepalm:

Yes, and 2 fish per person per day limit!!! Crazy. I'll settle for Sheephead (bay snapper) like the guides call them.

"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it." Bubba

This trip was a shake down and new labels for shrimp not here yet. Had to use card board (bone guard not here yet either) and old marked labels from my Alaskan trip. Looks very unprofessional. We moved to styrofoam backs and 4 mill bags this year, as last year a few of the prawn barbs poked through bags and decreased freezer life. VacMaster sure does a good job on packaging. Just a pain lugging 80-90 lb machine up to FlyBridge.

Just read up on how to catch them in a trap.
Unfortunately its illegal to do so here, cast nets or trawlers only.

May 10 2017 is National Shrimp Day in the USA.

So go eat some shrimp, Gulf of Mexico wild caught if possible.

Last weekend

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 65
And if you have no luck fishing, at least you can grill the bait!

Once the bait shops were out of shrimp, so I tried store bought raw shrimp. I fished unsuccessfully with the first half of the bag, so I fired up the grill and was enjoying the second half. Just as I was finishing dinner, the Fish and Wildlife Wardens pulled up in the dark to check my license. We had a chuckle about me eating my bait since it couldn't catch fish.

Pretty good trip! Lots of lings, a fair amount of shrimp (pot puller broke down, and our fix was temporary before we did major damage to the motor.) IMG_2971.jpg. Small craft advisories in the straights for 3 of the five days made for some interesting pot pulling and likely the demise of the puller. IMG_2874.jpg. Took pics on the good days!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom