It's Haulout Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
It’s Haul Out Time…
Monday Sept 22
This morning we’re going to have the boat hauled out for some minor repairs, bottom painting and waxing. There aren’t any places on the Columbia upstream from Portland, OR to haul out a larger boat so I’ve contracted with Lampson Crane to do it for me. I haven’t discussed the number or types of cranes they’re bringing but since they build the world’s largest cranes, I’m sure they have something hanging around their yard that is capable (more on that later!).

Right now it’s 0530 on Monday morning. I’m up, the coffee is made and I’m getting ready to take care of some last minute stuff. The guy from Lampson that I’m coordinating this through said I could raid their yard for lumber to make the piles the boat will actually sit on so I picked up a lot of 4’x4’x8’ boards, rented a chain saw and cut them into about 2’ long pieces. GW and I spread out a layer of heavy visqueen last night so we should be good to go for protecting the environment.

I rented a 6’x12’ trailer from Uhaul and this morning I’m off to pick up some jack stands from the marina where I keep my boat and take them over to the dock where the boat is going to be hauled out. The dock is one that was built for barges and it shows. Instead of a nice railing or any padding along the sides of the dock, it’s raw concrete with lots of pieces of rebar sticking out. Not exactly a friendly surface for a fiberglass boat.

I had made some fender boards to protect the sides of the boat but as it turned out I didn’t need them because Lampson could position the slings several feet out from the dock.

The crew from Lampson did a great job. They got started around 1230 and took their time with positioning the slings. They put three of their guys on Beachcomber to do all the placement of the slings and securing them. We’ve all seen the photos of boats going bow first into the water after the slings slid and I didn’t want that to happen to Beachcomber.

Just before they started the lift I walked over to the crane operator (“Marvin”) and said “Hey Marv, you see that woman over there? That’s my wife and this boat is her baby. She’s armed and doesn’t want anything to happen to her baby. I’m just giving you a heads up before you start to lift it.” He knew I was joking but also knew I was asking him to be careful.

The lift actually took a lot longer than we had planned. When they set the slings in place and started to lift, the bow came up higher than the stern. They didn’t want the boat to slide out the back of the slings so they added some 3’ extension cables to the front slings. When they did that, everything was level and I was a lot happier.

When all was said and done, they took about 3.5 hours to get the boat out, position the wood blocking beneath it and get the jack stands in place.

Here's the crane they used
img_270360_0_120080d9ea410eb43c51f4cbe7ca3a0d.jpg

Bringing Beachcomber into the slings. The seaweed on the anchor was picked up when we had to anchor while they made adjustments to the slings.
img_270360_1_3c7dcfbd4b2b73787e9c198ea720bc53.jpg

The slings are in place and they're doing a test lift. Initially the boat came up bow high so they had to add some 3' extensions on both sides of the front sling to make it level.
img_270360_2_b73a6fe423a4534e99aae671d8db2a68.jpg

Another test lift. They picked it up so it was just clear of the water and waited about a minute or so to make sure none of the slings was going to slide.
img_270360_3_154d4b5ea4e3b70be3ffc3ee0f306783.jpg

Up she comes
img_270360_4_ddd1611f10e2bb0b2c5931c9d3913e56.jpg

This is where it really starts to get scary. In this photo you can see the 3' extensions they put into the slings. Those extensions are 1.5" cable!
img_270360_5_cef78c3f7a0e8b77e2026f27a8440456.jpg

Swinging her over the dock toward the area where she's going to spend the next couple of weeks.
img_270360_6_9a8c4d1aeb78e263964cad29b5f9f405.jpg

img_270360_7_e6699cb647d6ffbcf77ef87e3f65de59.jpg

img_270360_8_abdc2308a25706f01dee2f4e2e117237.jpg

img_270360_9_71d7b941ef98b94ae52efa85de2e4d44.jpg

Pulling the port side prop. The stbd side came off real easy. Not so much with this one. I have my eyes closed because I could see the prop start to move. When it eventually moves, it does it with a loud bang and the prop puller shoots off.
img_270360_10_0a1f9584d85e54cdc88e9536cd7d5a79.jpg

To be continued.....

Wow... kinda makes me glad I only have a 34' boat easy with a travel lift...

Hey Mike, don't forget to chain your stands.

Moonstruck, I already did that, but thanks for the reminder!

Here's some additional notes and pics from yesterday and today.....

Wednesday, September 24
I was just a bit slow getting up this morning—I slept in until 0700! That’s late for me. I had some stuff to do around the house but went down to the boat around 1100 to clean it up. I started pressure washing more of the hull but ran out of gas after just a few minutes and had left the gas can at home. Darn.

I washed the hull where it’s going to be waxed then took care of some stuff inside then headed to Costco to pick up some stuff and do some grazing.

The reason for the haulout was that we found some skinny water in a rocky area while entering a narrow channel into the basin where the yacht club is. When the water is low you have to be dead on the center of the channel or this is what happens….
img_270481_0_c4f16f3a3f770c09be3f94f8767416f9.jpg

I also think I mentioned that the dock where she was hauled out was/is a barge dock. Since they don’t have to worry about scratching gelcoat, they aren’t too fussy about what they use for fenders….
img_270481_1_5eeaa0fb3fc3fcf6d894b9eb30bf3e5f.jpg

img_270481_2_d66de34a10cd10107ba026b569c28f66.jpg

With that picture in mind and not wanting to get Beachcomber up against any part of that, I made some fender boards. Normal ball or sausage fenders aren’t made for that kind of crap, but fender boards will keep you off the hard stuff.
img_270481_3_9df6e3356c5f76120bb15708f6169818.jpg

The way they work is that the 2x6 gets up against the hard stuff, plus it keeps the fenders at the right distance apart so the gelcoat doesn’t get gouged.

Here’s a shot that just kind of puts things into perspective. The truck is GW’s son’s Toyota pickup that I borrow when I need to haul stuff around. It’s going to be my work truck for the next couple of weeks.
img_270481_4_76193b282738a98476d0ab6b519cceed.jpg

After I dropped the props off at Krugers I wandered around the area a bit and came across Salmon Bay Marine Center where they have some BIG slips for BIG boats. These two were at the Westport office. Nice. I had to stop and clean the drool off my shirt!

img_270481_5_33edfd5668bdccf1e77ac7c7ae3671d7.jpg

Lifting one's boat from just one side has always worried me.

img_270483_0_948f807197d673d47f03d40a836208cb.jpg

Seen to many photos of the crane tipping over with disasterous effects to the boat.

Me too Mark. I have to say though that the guys from Lampson International Lampson International, LLC - About Us have as much lifting expertise and experience as anyone on the planet. I'm lucky to have them right here in our back yard and able to do things like this. The president of the company, Bill Lampson, is a boater and coincidentally owns the property right next to us. Nice guy, real down to earth and the kind of person you want to be friends with.

I was involved in the aftermath of a sling breaking. Turned out it had been repaired by someone other than the manufacturer. Those things need to be in perfect condition and used correctly, there are directions as to attaching them to the lifting frame, incorrect attachment can greatly reduce load capacity.

Mike-I am at Salmon Bay fairly regularly. Evivva is Orrin Edson's (Bayliner/Westport founder) personal Westport. I think it is Hull # 1 of the 164' series, but am not sure. Did you check the anchor?

THD, no, I didn't want to walk down the dock and take a look at the bow. I just got the shots of the stern, then had to stop before I embarrassed myself even further than the drool on my shirt.

What's up with the anchor?

BTW, I finished waxing the port side today. Total of about 5-6 hours, most of that doing the bow area because it's so high up and hard to reach.

Today I used Marine Strip to remove the diesel soot from the underside of the stern before I start waxing it tomorrow. I hate to get all that soot on a waxing pad because then all you're doing is spreading it around. Sucks.

I got the zincs ordered (magnesium) and ordered an anchor swivel. Much easier to change that when the boat's on the hard than when it's in the water.

Well, Beachcomber is back in the water. No runs, no hits, no errors, and nobody left on base. The launch took about 1.5 hours (part of that was waiting for my friend who was going to crew for me) and went quite smoothly.

They lifted the boat the first time and weren't happy with the setup of the slings. After adding several shackles to lengthen the sling in front, the boat came up off the blocks more level.

They slung it out over the water then drew it back up toward the wharf so I could step onto the swim platform. Then they swung the bow over to the wharf so Rich could stop aboard.

After they put her in the water we fired up the engines and gently backed her out of the slings. It was a perfect day for a cruise, temps in the low 80's, zero wind, zero clouds, no other boats on the water. Just perfect! But we had a limited time window so we just cruised to the slip, parked her, tied her up and left.

I have some photos that I haven't even looked at yet but I'll try to post them tomorrow.

Right now it's time to crack open a cold one and watch my Seahawks whup up on those Redskins.

I thought I'd add a few pics of putting her back in the water. They brought a larger crane this time....it just happened to be sitting around in the yard. Go figure.

Here's two shots of the props. They look a bit different from when I took them off...
img_275191_0_2ed3de551db6b9ae1e578936b83c780d.jpg

img_275191_1_8d4cda4f7a16131aa940f5238ce4ae56.jpg

Here's Beachcomber after getting her bottom painted and the hull waxed.
img_275191_2_f63721b60b133ced47637589943fd639.jpg

Here's the crane when it first pulled up...
img_275191_3_7d63334432d446ab1911a4a943f9ffa2.jpg

Here's the crane with the rigging set up for the lift. It took them about an hour and several test lifts to get everything just the way they wanted it. I wasn't in any rush, I just wanted it to be right.
img_275191_4_aab2d78550c71dcc1bb67b330be92638.jpg

Here's the start of the lift...
img_275191_5_c3ed390090f95ba8eff9d471be2242e7.jpg

img_275191_6_c3c054b98e94b55a8fb8e7541656e0bc.jpg

That's the end of the pics. We climbed on board as they were lowering the boat and when it got to the level of the "dock". When it hit the water I fired up the engines and after they'd warmed up for a couple of minutes I backed out of the slings.

It was just a short trip across the river and upstream about a mile to the slip. After we got her all tucked in we went up to the watering hole at the top of the ramp for something to cool down with. It was a mid-80's day but seemed a lot hotter than that.

It's nice to have her back in the slip. I started the winterizing project on Friday. This afternoon GW and I are going to put up the windows on the flybridge, close the thru-hulls and drain the strainers, pump out all the water and blow out the fresh water lines, and we'll be done.

We leave for AZ next Friday so I have a lot of stuff to get done before then. It's nice to start early so there's no mad rush at the end.

I'm envious. Waiting for mine to get back in the water.

Tracy, be sure to post some pics of what you're doing or having done, and when she goes back in the water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom