It's all relative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wildbill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Still the One
Vessel Make
Hatteras 42 LRC
Just a quick update and thank you: My last post I added my 2 cents worth concerning fuel costs and cruising, and I was willing to pay what was needed to achieve my cruising goals with our new to us boat that was still on the hard despite my recent retirement. Fate stepped in and a "Just in Case" stress test because I'm and ER provider and I'd be way away from quick help, was mildly abnormal, turned into a cardiac cath. that was VERY abnormal, I had a "widow maker", not lying, scared the crap out of me:eek:. So an urgent Cabbage (CABG) for an Irishman on St Paddy's day, quadruple bypass. I recall waking up, still intubated but with enough faculties to think "I'm Alive" :dance: Now POD 10, home for 6 days, better daily, under very strict precautions due to chest incision but TRYING to be good and follow admirals via surgeons orders to hopefully with a boat buddy (because I can't lift heavy items, ie. engine hatch etc.)to splash and head the boat north May to June. Just a bump in the road of life.:thumb: I just wanted to thank everyone who had positive vibes for me before the procedure it meant a lot during this new adventure. My CT surgeon says my prognosis before the surgery 3-5 months, now 15-20 years....Guess your stuck with me.:socool::Thanx:

GREAT news. Thanks for checking in and posting that.

Glad to be stuck with ya! Forget that 15-20 years crap because every day aboard your boat is not subtracted from your lifespan!

Thanks for sharing this. So glad to hear of the positive outcome! Now you will enjoy your retirement even more.

I know what you mean re: "I'm alive!". That feeling is a very real and precious gift.
I strive to retain that feeling of gratitude for my life any time the going gets 'rough'.

Last edited:
I’m very glad for you WildBill and wish you the best of health and long pleasant voyages.

Just a quick update and thank you: My last post I added my 2 cents worth concerning fuel costs and cruising, and I was willing to pay what was needed to achieve my cruising goals with our new to us boat that was still on the hard despite my recent retirement. Fate stepped in and a "Just in Case" stress test because I'm and ER provider and I'd be way away from quick help, was mildly abnormal, turned into a cardiac cath. that was VERY abnormal, I had a "widow maker", not lying, scared the crap out of me:eek:. So an urgent Cabbage (CABG) for an Irishman on St Paddy's day, quadruple bypass. I recall waking up, still intubated but with enough faculties to think "I'm Alive" :dance: Now POD 10, home for 6 days, better daily, under very strict precautions due to chest incision but TRYING to be good and follow admirals via surgeons orders to hopefully with a boat buddy (because I can't lift heavy items, ie. engine hatch etc.)to splash and head the boat north May to June. Just a bump in the road of life.:thumb: I just wanted to thank everyone who had positive vibes for me before the procedure it meant a lot during this new adventure. My CT surgeon says my prognosis before the surgery 3-5 months, now 15-20 years....Guess your stuck with me.:socool::Thanx:

Glad to hear Bill. I'm 2 years out from cancer surgery on St Pat's in 2020 just as COVID was shutting everything down. Extra scary time to be alone in the hospital. I too have added years to my life and was also lucky to have the surgery when I did. The future is still cloudy, so how many years and when/how the cancer returns is still TBD. I'll have more news in a couple weeks but hoping for the best.

I'm on year 30 of my quintuple bypass and have usually spent 4-5 months a year since then cruising on our boat. I don't know your current age-I was 41 when my event happened-but boating (or doing anything you enjoy) can keep you going. Good luck on your recovery. The best advice my cardiologists gave me was to smile, laugh, love and not worry. I am now a devotee of the Alfred E. Neumann School of Philosopy-"What-Me Worry?"

Tator

I'm so very pleased to hear you are winning "current" portion of your race. May you stride forward for decades before eventually crossing your finish line!

Several weeks ago... I followed the ambulance. Wife still going and now improving. I understand.

Thanks All, NEtrawler58, Glad to hear your doing well, I'm not naive, working in the ER I've diagnosed and saved patients from one aliment only to find the incidentaloma such as the feared lung nodule, shadow on the liver etc. I myself have so far dodged the reaper twice, I guess this makes 3. I'm 1-2 years from what the government calls "Full Retirement" age, but I felt burned out between Covid and administration wanting money over patient care, more managers, less frontline workers, long wait time and angry patients. Tator I really happy to hear your story...gives me more hope, My new girl is older and slow, FD and twin Detroit's, but I grew up with the growl, and once onboard I'm in no hurry, she burns 3 gph at 7 knots and with 755 gallons you never know where I'll be:whistling: NEtrawler, I'm not that far from you, (it's all relative), once they let me drive, if you need anything let me know. Thanks Guys, your all appreciated, it's amazing how much you appreciate things now. :)

Thanks Bill. Not to get off-topic, but many don't realize that "full retirement age" is really mostly meaningless if you have significant retirement funds. Most should retire before that if they can afford to so you don't waste the precious years left to enjoy retirement. Also delaying collecting social security is often easy advice to/from people who don't really understand the math. Again, doesn't really make much difference when you collect for most of us unless you really cant afford to retire and need to keep working as long as possible. Sorry for the diversion...

Fate stepped in and a "Just in Case" stress test

Wifey B: So glad to hear your success story and path to recovery. :dance:

This should also serve as a reminder to all of us. I hear people talk about never going to a doctor and haven't been in 5 years and things like that. Dangerous. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Especially as we age, we all need routine screenings, we all need physicians who make sure we have age appropriate tests. Whatever it is, the earlier caught, the better prognosis. Please don't try to show how tough you are and how healthy you are because often unknowns are lurking. Please have annual physicals and report to your doctor all those things you consider meaningless and just part of aging and let the medical professionals decide. I'm not encouraging paranoia, but I'm encouraging appropriate care and preventative testing and diagnostics. Some of us may beat the odds just by having great genetics, but more often we'll do so by finding, treating and recovering along the way from potential serious conditions. :)

Wifey B: So glad to hear your success story and path to recovery. :dance:

This should also serve as a reminder to all of us. I hear people talk about never going to a doctor and haven't been in 5 years and things like that. Dangerous. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Especially as we age, we all need routine screenings, we all need physicians who make sure we have age appropriate tests. Whatever it is, the earlier caught, the better prognosis. Please don't try to show how tough you are and how healthy you are because often unknowns are lurking. Please have annual physicals and report to your doctor all those things you consider meaningless and just part of aging and let the medical professionals decide. I'm not encouraging paranoia, but I'm encouraging appropriate care and preventative testing and diagnostics. Some of us may beat the odds just by having great genetics, but more often we'll do so by finding, treating and recovering along the way from potential serious conditions. :)

Good advice. Unfortunately some of us are too stubborn to listen or think we know better than following conventional medical advice. Which reminds me of one of my favorite pics to lighten the mood (hopefully).

Attachments

• stub.jpg
    stub.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 233
So glad to hear. no one knows when the reaper will appear. 2 stents put in 2019. enlarged prostate. still love to get down to the boat. no covid yet. turned 72 last week. best to you. enjoy.

Interesting post.
There are more than a few of us that a) are of a certain age; and b) have a health history background that, when considering the Great Loop, say:
“if not now, when?”
We consider ourselves to be very fortunate to have the resources, and borrowed time to do it.
Without pessimism our view - “we want to die with memories, not dreams!”

Glad to be stuck with ya! Forget that 15-20 years crap because every day aboard your boat is not subtracted from your lifespan!

rgano, I think you have something there! I’m 3 years post cancer (100% clear :)) When we’re away on the boat for months each summer, regular life stops and we’re living in our boating bubble that is altogether different than daily life. Attention is focused on the moment, whether following a cruising course, settled in a favorite anchorage or visiting the local farmers market — it is time altered; and from now on I will think of it as “time subtracted”!

See ya on the water. Cruising is an absolute wonderful way of life.

Back
Top Bottom