Italy seizes Russian super yacht.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well said Mbdana. Shaking out "the third reef" should add momentum. The Presidents men may try to backtrack but I say your President had it right on the leadership of Russia. Democratically elected? What would Navalny say about that,if not locked up.

So I read the Wiki link but didn't watch the You Tube. It seems "civil forfeiture" in dependent on criminal activity. In what criminal activity are the oligarchs now involved? Being pals with Putin and benefiting from that relationship has not been a crime in the past. Possibly I don't understand "sanctions"? Anyhow at face value, I find the confiscation of private property for political reasons onerous.

Civil asset forfeiture emphatically does not depend on "criminal activity". Doesn't even require an arrest, muchless a conviction. Just a zealous hunch - or maybe poor cash flow seems sufficient justification.

I photographed that yacht off the Cote D'Azure back in October 2018, while being hosted over there by a TF member who lives in the region. Not the nicest of lines, I do admit, but no doubt very functional. The real irony is the fact that it's sail power optional, but the cost of fuel probably not a big factor to the owner - now past owner - of the time..?

The vessel at the top is another super-yacht, seized by the French it was moored at Antibes at the time.

I believe Dilbar (the largest superyacht by GT) has been seized at the Lürssen yard in Hamburg. Crew has been fired and Lürssen are currently providing a small crew to maintain it.

The two helicopters of the oligarch Alisher Ousmanov are immobilized on the Côte d'Azur in Monaco, and in Le Castellet International Airport in Provence, France, close to Bandol and Sanary-Sur-Mer as a neighbor of Formula One Circuit constructed by French drinks magnate Paul Ricard. Le Castellet brings together three exceptional facilities built by Paul Ricard: the Formula One Circuit Paul Ricard, an international airport to serve Paul Ricard's business interests, and a five star hotel resort.

Antibes is homeport of Alisher Ousmanov's megayacht, the Dilbar, which had already been placed under house arrest in the port of Hamburg by the German authorities but no officially seized yet. Now Alisher Ousmanov has also lost his two helicopters, machines worth several million euros, this time immobilized by the French Ministry of Finance in Le Castellet International Airport and Monaco.

The two helicopters have been immobilized by the task force set up by the French government to track down the assets of the oligarchs. French Ministry of Finance confirms that a first machine was immobilized on March 22 at Le Castellet International Airport and that also a second helicopter, on March 25 in the Principality of Monaco, from the Monegasque authorities supported by French customs.

However, the French Ministry of Finance refuses to officially disclose the identity of their owners but confirmed that these helicopters, registered M-DLBA and G-DLBR, actually could belong to one and the same man, Alisher Ousmanov. This Oligarch of Uzbek origin, whose fortune was estimated at more than 14 billion dollars before the start of the Ukrainian crisis, is also presented by French Ministry of Finance as the owner of the Dilbar mega yacht. This 156-meter-long megayacht was the first placed under house arrest but not really seized in Hamburg where it was under maintenance since end of October 2021, the days after the Russian invasion. Ousmanov is indeed one of the Russian billionaires deemed close to the Kremlin and sanctioned by the European Union.

There is a myriad of offshore companies involved. The helicopters which have just been immobilized by French authorities have also been seen on several occasions on the Dilbar yacht helipad. Officially the yacht and the aircrafts belong to offshore companies, Klaret flight limited, Klaret Pacific Limited which have strange similarities.

There are indeed a myriad of Klaret companies registered in the British Virgin Islands, the Caymans and Malta, which all seem to be linked to Usmanov especially through their CEOs. The same name comes up regularly, that of a Cypriot national living in Monaco and whose company is headquartered in a huge mansion on the heights of Menton, Côte d'Azur, France.

One of the Klaret companies that has been identified, Klaret Antibes Limited, is itself domiciled on the most famous "Quai des Milliardaires" (Wharf of Billionaires) in Antibes, where the Dilbar has long been moored since it's her homeport.

In 2017 Uzbekistan Airways has leased an Airbus A340 business jet registration code M-IABU on the Isle of Man, from Usmanov’s business Klaret Aviation. The aircraft is used as an official long-range transport for the Uzbekistan’s president.

The airliner bears the first name of Usmanov’s father, Bourkhan. His megayacht bears the first name of Usmanov’s mother, Dilbar.

Usmanov was one of Facebook's early investors but he indicated he had sold his entire Facebook stake. Usmanov, an Uzbek Muslim, married his childhood sweetheart Irina Viner, a Jewish divorcee. Irina Viner is a former three-time rhythmic gymnastics champion of Uzbekistan, and heads Russia's Rhythmic Gymnastics Federation. She has also her own connections with the Kremlin, she was a gymnastics coach to Alina Kabayeva, Vladimir Putin's rumored lover. Irina Viner also campaigned for Vladimir Putin during his 2012 presidential election campaign.

You know I wonder how much real effect these asset forfeitures are going to have though. I know the boats are huge and impressive (in a hedonistic kind of way) so it therefore catches media attention, but I wonder if it's going to have much bearing at all on the "special military operation." I just can't see an angry superyacht owner knocking on Putin's office door and insisting that he withdraw from Ukraine because Ivan's superyacht is handcuffed to a mooring in Hamburg (or Italy, or wherever). I can't see Putin thinking, uh oh, Ivan lost his yacht and helicopters, my buddies are going to get really annoyed, I better order a withdrawal. Never mind Zelenskyy!! Sorry for the damage! Of course I'm being facetious, but not much. I just wonder how these First World -- heck, 1% -- heck, .00001% -- forfeitures are going to really translate into pressure on an autocrat who fatally poisons opponents all in a routine workday. Sergei, you lost your yacht, so sorry!

But then what do I know, I live and work in a different universe.

You know I wonder how much real effect these asset forfeitures are going to have though. I know the boats are huge and impressive (in a hedonistic kind of way) so it therefore catches media attention, but I wonder if it's going to have much bearing at all on the "special military operation." I just can't see an angry superyacht owner knocking on Putin's office door and insisting that he withdraw from Ukraine because Ivan's superyacht is handcuffed to a mooring in Hamburg (or Italy, or wherever). I can't see Putin thinking, uh oh, Ivan lost his yacht and helicopters, my buddies are going to get really annoyed, I better order a withdrawal. Never mind Zelenskyy!! Sorry for the damage! Of course I'm being facetious, but not much. I just wonder how these First World -- heck, 1% -- heck, .00001% -- forfeitures are going to really translate into pressure on an autocrat who fatally poisons opponents all in a routine workday. Sergei, you lost your yacht, so sorry!

But then what do I know, I live and work in a different universe.

Oh, I don’t know about that. How do you feel about your boat? They may feel the same way. It may not change Putin’s mind but it may weaken his support among his oligarchs.

Following post 65 above,it seems USA is on track towards seizing the boat.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-03/fiji-court-decision-on-russian-superyacht/101032968
Wondering how it gets done. Can a country legislate that property of a certain class of citizens of another country forfeit their property to that country? Not discussing the merits, whether it should/should not happen, wondering where the power to do it comes from. Interesting.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Hmmm...Being boarded by "Men in Black". Hmmmm.

iu

3ef181a5a4c23e5c3e852d41f151d597

Last edited:
Boy, if the governments that seize these yachts take over the cost of crewing, maintenance, berthing and fuel, citizens and taxpayers are going to get hammered in the meantime. Even if they assess or lien the owners (shell or actual), good luck ever collecting. I get the PR value and the pressure they want to create, but there's a huge ongoing operational and carrying cost to these things.

When we were actively boat shopping we browsed US Marshal's auctions (usually Florida, usually drug seizures) but those boats were five and six figures. Now we're talking nine figures.

Greetings,
Mr. k. Not to mention whoever buys the vessel might have to deal with an irate owner. Maybe it might be best to auction it off in bits and pieces and scrap the rest. Surely there is something a TF member might need. A beach towel, perhaps?

iu

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom