Issues with AGM's for ballast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac2

Vessel Make
1998 RealShips Voyager
I have 18 8D AGM batteries for a house bank. I will replace these with LifePo4 batteries. These batteries are in 3 banks (6 each). One bank is center bilge area, the other two banks are in the engine room (port and starboard) stern quarter area. All but 4 are at or below the waterline. I like the weight/ballast.
Question: I plan on replacing the starboard bank with the LifePo4 batteries. Is there any issues with leaving the remaining batteries in place as ballast (Everything disconnected)?

If they were fine charged and connected then disconnected and slowly discharging should also be fine.

David

If I pulled 6 8Ds out of the stb side of my boat (or replaced them with significantly lighter units), I'd create a significant list.

Can you relocate some of the disconnected port side batteries to compensate?

If they were fine charged and connected then disconnected and slowly discharging should also be fine.

David

That's what I was thinking too. Shouldn't be any off gassing. They are going to be there for years, but I wouldn't think there would be any breakdown.
More importantly, I would be breaking my back to get them out!

If I pulled 6 8Ds out of the stb side of my boat (or replaced them with significantly lighter units), I'd create a significant list.

Can you relocate some of the disconnected portside batteries to compensate?
The difference in batteries will be about 600 lbs. I just put a 1,500 lb dinghy on the upper deck-Starboard side, which I've been transferring fuel to compensate for. I'm 90 ton, so I'm transferring fuel for about 10 minutes when I'm removing/replacing the dinghy.
I am thinking of removing two of the top portside batteries. Overall balance would be better and I could use the extra storage space.

Works for me.
We still have 1000kg (2204lb) of old AGM down below
And could do with more weight.
If I got rid of it I'd have to replace with something more expensive

Works for me.
We still have 1000kg (2204lb) of old AGM down below
And could do with more weight.
If I got rid of it I'd have to replace with something more expensive

Perfect. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom