Island once won in a game of poker is for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insequent

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Insequent
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I only learnt to play poker as a Uni student in the early 1970's, too late for the poker game that is referred to in the Island's history. Of course I wouldn't have been able to 'ante up' for a seat at the table anyway.....

https://www.9news.com.au/national/x...-million/63212d6c-9bad-4417-b481-cd8541779731

I've anchored N of Pumpkin, toward the more hilly and wooded island to the north (North Keppel Island) and that is one of the better places to anchor in the region. Shallow water, winds and tidal currents at angles to the wind mean that a shallow draft catamaran is the best option for the region, but tolerable in a monohull for a few nights if you choose anchorage location wisely.

Been here at Great Keppel Island for several days now.
Expect to get several more before heading further north to Pearl bay and Island Head

Let us know how the entrance to Island Head is. IIRC the southern shore had reasonable water depth, but a lot of silting up and charts weren't that accurate anymore.

I don't think it sold. Asking $25m in 2020.

Agent details below if you are interested:
https://www.realestate.com.au/property-villa-qld-the+keppels-134003346

This is the story apparently, note it was quite a while ago - 1961.

Prior to 1961, the island was an oyster farm that belonged to a man called Snigger Findlay.

“(A couple by the name of) Roger and Merle Mason fell in love with Pumpkin Island, but Snigger did not want to sell it,” say the Rumbles.

“So when Roger challenged Snigger to a game of poker, he said that if he wins Snigger would have to sell the island to Roger.

“So Roger won and bought the island for £60.”

Last edited:
Anchored at Svendsens looking across to Pumpkin now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230108_110049.jpg
    IMG_20230108_110049.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom