Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #21
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,304
Let's flip this around here a little. How many days can a U.S. citizen stay in Canada without the Canadian revenue collectors coming after him/her/them?
__________________
Advertisement

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #22
Guru
 
mbevins's Avatar
 
City: Windsor
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Let's flip this around here a little. How many days can a U.S. citizen stay in Canada without the Canadian revenue collectors coming after him/her/them?
As long as he/she doesn't move lock,stock,and barrel into Canada I'm willing to bet they can stay as long as they please.
Visa vi a cottage or such.
CDN customs allows US registered boat owners to bring the boat into Canada for seasonal dockage from April 1 to Nov 1 . They're on their honor to remove it by that date as it it not checked for compliance.
As such many never leave.
__________________

__________________
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #23
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
As long as he/she doesn't move lock,stock,and barrel into Canada I'm willing to bet they can stay as long as they please.
Visa vi a cottage or such.
CDN customs allows US registered boat owners to bring the boat into Canada for seasonal dockage from April 1 to Nov 1 . They're on their honor to remove it by that date as it it not checked for compliance.
As such many never leave.

Travellers - Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #24
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
As long as he/she doesn't move lock,stock,and barrel into Canada I'm willing to bet they can stay as long as they please.
Visa vi a cottage or such.
CDN customs allows US registered boat owners to bring the boat into Canada for seasonal dockage from April 1 to Nov 1 . They're on their honor to remove it by that date as it it not checked for compliance.
As such many never leave.
As Keith posted, there are requirements for US flagged vessels, different than MB posted above.

No, on a personal basis, you can't stay in Canada as long as you want. The Customs forms ask for duration of stay. Write down one year and see what happens. All sorts of personal restrictions whether taxation past 6 months or applying for Landed Immigrant status come into play. Then do you have relatives legally living in Canada? It gets intricate.

Unlike the US, Canada views past criminal history as a big red flag. If only the US had as strict a set of immigration laws which were enforced.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #25
Guru
 
mbevins's Avatar
 
City: Windsor
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,313
[QUOTE="sunchaser;507454"]

As Keith posted, there are requirements for US flagged vessels, different than MB posted above.



The document above pretty well agrees with my "real world" translation. Living on a border city I see this all the time. I personally have been told by CCRA that they don't check the boats leaving.
__________________
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #26
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,304
How about attempts by Canada to collect income taxes from boaters?
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #27
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
How about attempts by Canada to collect income taxes from boaters?
Maters not whether you are here as a boater or in any other guise. What matters is: Did you earn income in Canada. If so, you will need to file a tax return and pay the applicable taxes.
No, we don't charge income tax on your boat, unless it is here earning income, then the tax is payable by the owner of the boat, wherever he/she resides.

So bottom line, same as in the US: Where you earn the income will need to receive the income tax.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
waddenkruiser's Avatar
 
City: Southern Baltic
Country: Europe
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 188
And I thought it would be complicated here in Europe ...
__________________
best regards / med venlig hilsen
Wadden
waddenkruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
waddenkruiser's Avatar
 
City: Southern Baltic
Country: Europe
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 188
... so it's even easier between the Danish and the Swedes!
__________________
best regards / med venlig hilsen
Wadden
waddenkruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #30
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL MOUNTIE View Post
The requirement for reporting movement only applies to vessels moving from one customs reqion to another, i.e.from Ft Lauderdale to Miami, Miami to Ft Myers or Key WEST ETC.
Verified by official who issued annual cruising permit from Ft Lauderdale office.
On our recent trip from Toronto to Lakeworth. it was our understanding that we only had to report in at each CG District. We cleared in Oswego and were given a "Notice of Violation" further down the Hudson a few days later for not reporting each stop within the same District. We were then told we had to report in at each Port and were given a list of phone numbers to call. We received a second Notice of Violation in South Carolina for not reporting when we anchored and were told we had to call in each time we stopped whether we went ashore or not.

Most of the phone numbers given were wrong and we spent hours on the phone with people who didn't give a damn. ...
"Why are you calling us " was heard on several occasions.
"This number cannot be reached from your area" was a frequent recording.
"Our office doesn't handle that" was common and they would give us another number that was also .... wrong !

Most often we got voice mail so left a message and went on our way (hope that was ok). We are now in the Bahamas and dreading re-entry to the US. Thousands of Canadian cruisers who spend our retirement funds in the US appear to be not wanted anymore. We are seriously considering storing our boat in Bahamas this summer just to avoid the nonsense of buying multiple phones and phone packages so we can call in to a completely disinterested party whenever we stop to spend money on fuel.

I've been traveling the US East coast since 1994 and never experienced anything like this before, The American people are awesome but the system is beyond help and I may not be back.
__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
I had an allergic reality - Jillie the Bean
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #31
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
On our recent trip from Toronto to Lakeworth. it was our understanding that we only had to report in at each CG District. We cleared in Oswego and were given a "Notice of Violation" further down the Hudson a few days later for not reporting each stop within the same District. We were then told we had to report in at each Port and were given a list of phone numbers to call. We received a second Notice of Violation in South Carolina for not reporting when we anchored and were told we had to call in each time we stopped whether we went ashore or not.

Most of the phone numbers given were wrong and we spent hours on the phone with people who didn't give a damn. ...
"Why are you calling us " was heard on several occasions.
"This number cannot be reached from your area" was a frequent recording.
"Our office doesn't handle that" was common and they would give us another number that was also .... wrong !

Most often we got voice mail so left a message and went on our way (hope that was ok). We are now in the Bahamas and dreading re-entry to the US. Thousands of Canadian cruisers who spend our retirement funds in the US appear to be not wanted anymore. We are seriously considering storing our boat in Bahamas this summer just to avoid the nonsense of buying multiple phones and phone packages so we can call in to a completely disinterested party whenever we stop to spend money on fuel.

I've been traveling the US East coast since 1994 and never experienced anything like this before, The American people are awesome but the system is beyond help and I may not be back.
Where did you get these wrong numbers? I've found the numbers on CBP's website to be very reliable.

Here are the professional service managers.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/customer-...ervice-manager

You can also go to the map of ports and then click on the city for the numbers for the field operations offices.

Now, what I'd really recommend is the Small Vessel Reporting System.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...te-flyers/svrs

You can register online and schedule an interview. Then you'll get a boater registration number and SVRS password.

This is really no different than we experienced going in and out of Canada. We checked in at every Canadian port. We also checked back in each time to the US. No different than our travels in other countries where we had to check in to each port. I would suggest the SVRS if you're doing much traveling.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #32
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Where did you get these wrong numbers? I've found the numbers on CBP's website to be very reliable.

Here are the professional service managers.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/customer-...ervice-manager

You can also go to the map of ports and then click on the city for the numbers for the field operations offices.

Now, what I'd really recommend is the Small Vessel Reporting System.
We were given a list of phone numbers by CBP on the Hudson. Most were incorrect. many of the 1-800 numbers given have very limited areas of use. From that point on 6 out of 10 officers we talked to told us we had the wrong number and then gave us other numbers to call which were also often wrong.
i.e. wrong as is in still a CPB office but not one that handled boaters.

When I cross into the US I do so at Oswego NY. One video phone call and I'm cleared and they fax the Cruising License to me at Oswego Marina within minutes. How the SVRS improve on that ? The SVRS certainly doesn't help find a phone signal when you anchor in the Georgia swamp and CPB in Florida has never heard of it.

What are they trying to accomplish ? I can cross the Border in an RV and wander around your beautiful country for months and never have to report in with anyone.
__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
I had an allergic reality - Jillie the Bean
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #33
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

When I cross into the US I do so at Oswego NY. One video phone call and I'm cleared and they fax the Cruising License to me at Oswego Marina within minutes. How the SVRS improve on that ? The SVRS certainly doesn't help find a phone signal when you anchor in the Georgia swamp and CPB in Florida has never heard of it.

.
Then don't do SVRS or anything different. However, rest assured that CPB in Florida is very familiar with it as many of us use it constantly for trips to and back from the Bahamas. It works great and most of the time then we don't have to report in person. The US regulations are very consistent with other countries.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:58 AM   #34
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,642
BP
Not the only broken system in the US
Thread Drift
I encountered the same sort of difficulty trying to deal with the DMV in Ca. I bought a car in California last January. Since I couldn't get it to the Canadian border until my scheduled return in April, I licensed it in Cal. Then when I returned to Canada, I put it in storage so as not to have to tow it or have my wife drive it, as the car I took down was being towed behind the RV. Then, on return, to re-licence for the coming season...completely broken. Took two hours in their lineup, a week of hassle, 17 phone calls, and yes, I will be taking it to the Canadian border this April, importing to Canada, then using the unbroken Canadian system from then on.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #35
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,879
Keith

CA is set up to deal with illegals. When a non resident legal comes along the system indeed struggles.

Seriously though, in AZ it is easy for those from Canada who buy and leave cars, or so we hear. Is the issue the lack of a permanent US address that DMV can use for mailings?

Now let me tell you about trying to get our life raft re-packed in Canada. Nowhere on VI or the mainland to get it done as it was made in France and sold to us in the US. Legally it cannot be carried in our vehicle on a ferry with the explosive device armed. So we broke all sorts of Canadian laws and carried it in our vehicle on a BC ferry to a US legal repacker in Tacoma where it awaits illegal ferry transport back to VI. This took a lot more than two hours.

I've been doing this cross border dance for work and play for 45 years. The stories never stop. On the US East Coast many of the silly reporting in maritime laws go all the way back to prohibition. That good Seagrams was quite popular in the US back in the twenties.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #36
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Keith

CA is set up to deal with illegals. When a non resident legal comes along the system indeed struggles.

Seriously though, in AZ it is easy for those from Canada who buy and leave cars, or so we hear. Is the issue the lack of a permanent US address that DMV can use for mailings?

Now let me tell you about trying to get our life raft re-packed in Canada. Nowhere on VI or the mainland to get it done as it was made in France and sold to us in the US. Legally it cannot be carried in our vehicle on a ferry with the explosive device armed. So we broke all sorts of Canadian laws and carried it in our vehicle on a BC ferry to a US legal repacker in Tacoma where it awaits illegal ferry transport back to VI. This took a lot more than two hours.

I've been doing this cross border dance for work and play for 45 years. The stories never stop. On the US East Coast many of the silly reporting in maritime laws go all the way back to prohibition. That good Seagrams was quite popular in the US back in the twenties.
Tom

Now that I have been through the system, I know where I went wrong. I should never have given the DMV my US mailing address. Because I didn't know they would be sending me time limited stuff, I was unaware when they cancelled my registration for putting storage insurance on the car instead of leaving full liability insurance on it for the 7 months it would be in storage. My bad for that.

But the broken part of the system is how to get back onto the registration. I spoke on the phone to a rep who advised that there is a 3 day wait from paying for the "re-registration" document that was to ensure that you put that liability insurance back on. I had already done so by the time of that conversation, and was told it had already shown up on their computers. Waive the 3 days? Not a chance. Oh, and Sunday doesn't count.

No more. That car goes home, 6% duty, 5%GST, 7%PST and all. At least I will have it when I get home.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #37
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Tom

Now that I have been through the system, I know where I went wrong. I should never have given the DMV my US mailing address. Because I didn't know they would be sending me time limited stuff, I was unaware when they cancelled my registration for putting storage insurance on the car instead of leaving full liability insurance on it for the 7 months it would be in storage. My bad for that.

.
Good warning for all on mailing addresses and forwarding and changing and being sure you're getting the mail or seeing it all. People get burned all the time by things being mailed to their last known address and that considered as delivery to them. I've seen corporations lose cases and have judgments against them because they failed to change their registered agent. Unfortunately, he was their corporate lawyer and they fired him. Notices sent to him were considered delivered and received. Needless to say he did not inform the company. Even when you give a change correctly, don't bet on a substitute postman not delivering some mail to your old address.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
8840, cruising licence, reporting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×