Irresponsibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many years ago when I got into boating, my uncle insisted I take the United States Power Squadron boating course. The fact that he was a past Commodore probably bouyed his enthusiasm for the USPS. Nonetheless, I took the course and then read every book on boating and boat systems I could, including Chapmans. The knowledge has served me well to keep us safe and happy on the water.
As was mentioned, being attendant at the boat's survey and sea trial are a must from the standpoint of learning your new boat. And making dockside friends with some of the more experienced fellow boaters is going to help immensely. They'll have a vested interest in making sure you know how to handle, dock and maintain your boat.

It would be irresponsible of me to buy a boat without proper learning of seamanship first, right? Without taking the time to figure out if boating life was for us. Without doing proper research.

It would be irresponsible, right? Spotted a great boat, smack in my price range (well below the top), looks like it was well maintained (at least in the pictures; seeing it in person may change that).

I say go for it! :thumb:

I bought my first boat (25' sailboat) 40 years ago, having never sailed before. Motored it to Olympia WA from Seattle. The first week at Fiddlehead Marina another boater learned of my predicament, and took me out in it and in one day showed me how to sail. I will always be grateful to him. I've forgotten his name but his boat's name was 'The Stranger'.

Good afternoon
I purchased a 53 ft Trawler in 1995 and my insurance would not cover it unless I had the USCG CAPT License.
South Carolina. I had a loan on it.
Cash would be different most likely.

Like some of the other Capts say education is a must.
Have a greAt day.

Take the beginners course from Americas Boating Club (also known as the US Power Boat Squadron). The basic course will introduce you to safe boating. After or during the course, buy a chart or two, or a software program, and practice some navigation. We took the beginner course and then the advanced boating course, and a couple of short courses on specific things related to boating. Although both of us had boated for over 40 years, we found the training filled in a lot of experience holes, especially pertaining to navigation.

Nothing says you have to take the boat you buy and head out on a voyage to Tahiti immediately. The Power Squadron and Coast Guard Auxiliary offer plenty of basic and advanced courses for FREE.
Let your "dream boat" sit in dry dock or in the marina or on the trailer while you learn how to handle it and the rules of the road.
Good luck with everything and stay safe during these difficult times.

Don't worry if you miss this one. Wait 6 months or a year and there will be plenty of bargain boats on the market.

Boater safety courses!

[Many states have an online boater safety course and the coast Guard offers one also. You are foolish if you don't take one ! Florida's is on line and only takes a few hours at the most! There are many books and online courses to educate you in proper seamanship. You will be thankful that you took one of the classes and can possibility get better rates on your insurance policy!

QUOTE=JD Ray;868933]It would be irresponsible of me to buy a boat without proper learning of seamanship first, right? Without taking the time to figure out if boating life was for us. Without doing proper research.

It would be irresponsible, right? Spotted a great boat, smack in my price range (well below the top), looks like it was well maintained (at least in the pictures; seeing it in person may change that).

Tell me not to buy it.

Please.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of options to learn

None of us were born with the knowledge or the skills for cruising. You will learn. Be sure to find a source that can help you become a responsible mariner. Possibly someone with the time skills and credentials to patiently take you through it. Send me a note at hailmarymarine@gmail.com and we can talk about your dreams.

Don't worry if you miss this one. Wait 6 months or a year and there will be plenty of bargain boats on the market.

As I told my broker more than a few times, There will always be another boat.
SMILE

I agree 100%

At the minimum, a basic boating class from Coat Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadrom.

After that, get an experienced boating friend to show you the basics about your boat and maybe some docking tips.

Or even better, hire a boat handling instructor for a day or two. He or she can get you up to speed pretty quick and turn you into a safe competent boater quickly.

The mornings are usually devoted to boat handling and docking instruction with you at the wheel and the instructor guiding you through the maneuvers. A good instructor never handles the helm and has the student at the wheel from the beginning which builds confidence early.

Afternoons when the wind picks up, are devoted towards learning the function and use of everything on the boat including the engine room, how to do engine checks, simple maintenance tasks and handling emergencies.

An instructor can also be hired later to show you how to anchor, transverse locks and other advanced tasks.

Lot of very good advice in this thread, but I especially like this, above.

I have a goodly amount of experience with smaller boats, but when we buy our retirement boat it will be much larger than I'm currently use to. I plan on hiring an instructor to get us up to speed with a much larger boat.

The only real advice I can give is if you buy the boat, upgrade what you need to from a safety standpoint, but don't put in a lot of additional upgrades until you have had the boat for a while (maybe 6 months or a year depending on how often used). The reason for this is that if you decide this really wasn't the right boat for you, you can sell it and buy another and not have lost all the refit monies.

Regarding gas/diesel, only you can really decide how the boat will be used. If you plan to put a LOT of hours on the engines perhaps diesel makes sense. If not, then perhaps gas makes sense as the initial price will certainly be much lower.

Good luck with the decision.

Jim

I think this is a good comment as well.

It will be interesting to see what used boats sell for in the upcoming future. My guess (from my cloudy, cracked crystal ball) is that boat values will fall. The 64K question, however, is how soon and how much?

Jim

You came to the wrong place if you want people to tell you not to buy a boat. :)

Okay GB, watch and learn.
Don't buy a boat.
There I said but we all know, he wont listen. He will take it as a challenge. LOL

I will sincerely advise him not to buy a project boat.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I see the symptoms. This is a classic case. The first thing you must do is repeat after me: "Hi, my name is JD and I am a boat owner". Hmmmm, how did that feel....? OK?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.41.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 9.41.45 AM.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 31
It would be irresponsible to buy it and start running it without taking the time to learn how to run it properly. If you do learn how to, then go for it!

There a lot to learn, but learn you must!

Before you even leave the docks........
1. What side of the buoys should I be on?
2. How do I tie up my boat?
3. How do I use a VHF?
4. What types of PFD do I need?
5. How do I use an anchor?

I could go on.........................:thumb:

For a person who knows little to nothing about pleasure boating or about a pleasure cruiser [Trawler]; a mid sized boat [e.g. 34' to 55']

1. Find the correct boat - one that fits your and wife's needs, desires and pocket book
2. Test it out and get it surveyed correctly - i.e. make sure it is in good condition
3. Secure a place to dock the boat [preferably under covered roof at floating finger dock]
4. Purchase the boat!

Then, for quite a while - Often as possible visit the boat while it sits at dock. Spend time aboard [days, weekends or longer] becoming comfortable with and getting to really learn intricacies of your boat.

While spending time to visit and learn your boat, walk the docks of your and other mariners' docks. Start up conversations with boaters. When you locate the correct one ask if he/she would come aboard your boat and go out with you to show you how to handle your boat. Offer food, drink and two to three hundred bucks per 6 to 8 hour day. Might also post ad on your marina's info board. Could be that there are captains in your area who love to show persons new to boating how to handle things and what to do.

IMO: In a couple to three days of an experienced boater showing you the basics... you should be ready to begin boating. There are many tricks to boating correctly; but, after all... it's not rocket science!

Once you begin boating be careful and enjoy it all. If you use your boat often... after a couple months you should feel considerably accomplished.

Happy New-Boating "Daze" - Art :speed boat: :thumb:

Last edited:
It WOULD be irresponsible ! But from my observation over 50 years of boating it would be quite normal ....

Go for it

If someone says you don't need a boat, get them out of your life -- you don't need that kind of negativity!

My experience is any fool can buy a boat...

Most people I know who have gas engines in big boats can not afford to go anywhere. If it is a big boat, it needs a big boat engine or an owner with a deep pocket.

Most people I know who have gas engines in big boats can not afford to go anywhere. If it is a big boat, it needs a big boat engine or an owner with a deep pocket.

From what size up do you consider it a "big" boat? Just wondering.

Obviously you have a lot to think about, which boat, the technical checks, thoughts about necessities and all that, price, value, time you will use it etc…
So let me just insist: do it - you have already started with your journey by thinking and planning, I wish you good luck.
In italian there are two words for “regrets”:
rimproveri: the regrets for having done something that turned out wrong/bad
rimpianti: the regrets for not having done something
I was in a similar situation - and who has “enough” experience, how to define/measure that? - and I would agree to the italian saying that the second kind of regret is much worse. You will regret the non-doing-it for all your life. So go for it !
But go slowly, ask around, find good advice about the technical questions and how to check if the boat is in good conditions, be prudent, make small steps, ask twice, look what the others are doing...
It can be a wonderful journey, the destination is not so important...
Best wishes...

Back
Top Bottom