Irresponsibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just remember while you are learning, "Boat slow, hit slow." :)

Portland, Oregon.

My wife and I have had long discussions about boat ownership, and realize that the responsible thing is to wait at least two years before buying one. I've stopped shopping. I haven't stopped learning about them, but stopped looking on the listing sites.

Perseverance saves the day.

200w.webp

Most people I know who have gas engines in big boats can not afford to go anywhere. If it is a big boat, it needs a big boat engine or an owner with a deep pocket.

Maybe, maybe not. One could buy a lot of gasoline with the huge price difference on most boats between gas and diesel power. A savings in fuel cost usually comes down to the owner boating a LOT of miles over their ownership.

I would suspect that if the folks you know can't afford to buy gas, then they likely couldn't afford to buy the same boat with diesel engines.

Jim

Ya really like boating and boaters ehhh?? :eek:

I refer to the over powered speed boats with fools at the helm who don’t have a clue about etiquette of marine law...you know the ones who show up on weekends just to make wake...

I am waiting for one of the go-fast boats to t-bone a ocean going freighter claiming right-o-way only to learn tonnage rules and restricted navigation.

Last edited:
Oregon requires a boating safety course. Beyond that, keep the throttle back and don't go out if the wind is over 70mph. :)

Portland, Oregon.

My wife and I have had long discussions about boat ownership, and realize that the responsible thing is to wait at least two years before buying one. I've stopped shopping. I haven't stopped learning about them, but stopped looking on the listing sites.

Perseverance saves the day.

Not looking only lasts about a day, maybe 2. Well, 7 if you did purchase a boat.... or make sure you delete you history if you share that computer.....

Not looking only lasts about a day, maybe 2. Well, 7 if you did purchase a boat.... or make sure you delete you history if you share that computer.....

Yeah, that didn't last at all. We're still looking, but with the idea that we're looking at boats for purchase in retirement. Is there a twelve-step program? :D

JD

Yeah, that didn't last at all. We're still looking, but with the idea that we're looking at boats for purchase in retirement. Is there a twelve-step program? :DJD

Yep, First Step: Buy the boat!

Then you have the remaining 11 steps to either justify your actions in step 1, or feel guilty of those same actions for the remaining 11 steps!:D:hide:

The more you learn, the more the boat You want may change.

Work on finding a boat that will meet your mission 90%.

Always get a professional survey and do sea trials.

There is no shortage of used boats.

That Tolly 39 Eurosport is still available @ 49K.
My buddy almost had a deal @ 30K, but he walked away.

That Tolly 39 Eurosport is still available @ 49K.
My buddy almost had a deal @ 30K, but he walked away.

Interesting. With "he" you mean your buddy? Why did he walk away? Did he have a survey done?

Commodave,
I am a 37 year USCG Aux member. We assist boaters and it is surprising how many have never taken any classes on boating education. Most don't want to but are driving vessels worth several 10's of 1000's of dollars and with their family aboard.

Boat rental agencies also don't care about it.
Their attitude is: "Give me your credit card, this is how you start it, this is forward, this is reverse, go slow out the marina, see you back in 4 hours, etc."
Safety and knowledge have left the building.

State legislators will not pass a mandatory boaters education bill here in Utah.
OK I'm off the soap box now!

Interesting. With "he" you mean your buddy? Why did he walk away? Did he have a survey done?

No survey performed, I don't think they're working right now.
His broker looked at her thoroughly...rotted bulkhead here & there,
gas engines were tired, washed out fuel in engine oil meaning worn out piston rings usually.

Greetings,
Mr. B. HAH! "...mandatory boaters education..." will NEVER get the idiots off the water. We're in an area that requires a boaters "certificate" and the stretch of river behind our house (about 75 yards is visible) is the poster child for "hold my beer and watch this" type antics.

IF the water cops sat an officer on the docks opposite us, had a chase boat close by and handed out tickets, they could pay ALL the county cop's salaries for a year in just an afternoon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom