Old 10-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #1

City: Vandiver, AL
Vessel Name: SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Model: 1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
IPAD & Navionics?

Next week we will begin bringing our new to us Grand Banks 42 Classic down from Nashville TN to Guntersville AL, where will will likely keep it for the winter. Though suggestions at this great site I located online and ordered some chart books that should be here by weeks end.
I’ve been watching on YouTube the postings of a person who is doing the Loop and recently came down the TN River to the Tenn Tom. His channel today discussed what he has used for navigation, which has been Navionics on a Samsung tablet. He says he purchased an IPAD not knowing it doesn’t have “auto navigate” and it just didn’t work well. Do any of you know if he’s correct about this and have you experienced the same problems with an IPAD? Sine I have one already I would certainly prefer to use what I have, but I don’t suppose $220 is the end of the world if a Samsung will serve me better.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Capt. Rodbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
You need to make sure the tablet has a gps chip. The ipads with cellular capability also include the chips, the wifi only ones don't (at least on the older ones). You can get an external gps device to connect via bluetooth if it doesn't have the gps chip but it is a bit of a hassle and best to avoid when you are buying an ipad for this purpose.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I went a similar route for my summer cruise. Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+. My choice for software to supplement my Garmin and NOAA software, was Aquamaps. I find the crowd source information from Active Captain and Waterway Guide very useful. The map updates are very quick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16334713052275702799372307845635.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	121808

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #4

City: Port Hope
I don't have a mouse for my ipad so I found using my pc to add routes to Navionics was much easier. You can then access them on your ipad if you choose.
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #5

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
You need to make sure the tablet has a gps chip. The ipads with cellular capability also include the chips, the wifi only ones don't (at least on the older ones). You can get an external gps device to connect via bluetooth if it doesn't have the gps chip but it is a bit of a hassle and best to avoid when you are buying an ipad for this purpose.
We have WiFi iPads. Don’t want to pay for the cellular subscription. We have used a Dual xgps150 Bluetooth external gps (about $109) for a number of years. Has been compatible with a number of navigation apps including iNavX, Garmin Bluecharts, Aquamaps, etc BUT do not know if it is compatible with the Navionics mobile app. I’m on the TN River as well and have been lazy about downloading the Navionics app but want to because the Navionics TN River charts are very good. Guess I’ll download and let you know.
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #6

City: League City TX
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
You don't have to have a cell data plan for the iPad. You have to have a cellular capable iPad to get the gps chip. The wifi only iPads lack the gps.
BogCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The Samsung wifi tablets have a built in GPS. I tether it to my phone for map updates.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I've been using a GPS puck that sees GPS and Glonass, that bluetooths to my iPad for 4 years, no problems.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc180 View Post
We have WiFi iPads. Don’t want to pay for the cellular subscription. We have used a Dual xgps150 Bluetooth external gps (about $109) for a number of years. Has been compatible with a number of navigation apps including iNavX, Garmin Bluecharts, Aquamaps, etc BUT do not know if it is compatible with the Navionics mobile app. I’m on the TN River as well and have been lazy about downloading the Navionics app but want to because the Navionics TN River charts are very good. Guess I’ll download and let you know.
OK downloaded app. Works while I’m on WiFi. By the way, if you have an iPhone, can use hot spot feature to provide WiFi to iPad which will work. BUT left Dual gps on boat. I’m at home. Let you know over weekend how Dual gps works.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I went a similar route for my summer cruise. Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+. My choice for software to supplement my Garmin and NOAA software, was Aquamaps. I find the crowd source information from Active Captain and Waterway Guide very useful. The map updates are very quick.

Attachment 121808

Ted
Have two boats. One on the East coast of Florida and do the Bahamas. Absolutely love Aquamaps in that location. Second boat on the TN River. Aquamaps unfortunately are not detailed enough for the River.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley
Vessel Name: Knowing Blue
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
I have been using a cellular capable iPad with Navionics for years, and it works well. One reason to add a cellular plan for marine use is that, when out of wireless range, I find that personal hotspot works MUCH better from my iPad than from my phone. (This has been invaluable in allowing me to work from my boat when at anchor.) I assume this is because of a larger internal antenna in the iPad compared to my iPhone. If you already have a Verizon plan, adding a line for an iPad is not too expensive.
Two Truths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:25 PM   #12

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
Another fan of Ipads. I started with one, now use 2 - 12.9" Pro (cellular version for GPS chip). I can sync them to my Raymarine Axiom's I have down below and also use them as stand-alone for Navionics as well as some other marine apps.
LOVE having the large screens and not having to pay $3,000-$5,000 more because my screen is larger!!!

The other pic is something else I am working on for the lower helm gauge panel. Replaced my analog gauges w/ a SeaGauge (analog-2-N2K converter). Up top I get the gauge info on the Axiom 7" screens. Down below, I have 9" screens and will be doing a dash face-lift to incorporate a 15" touchscreen attached to a Chromebook...
Attached Thumbnails
20211005_153520.jpg   20211005_094010.jpg  
Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #13
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogCollector View Post
You don't have to have a cell data plan for the iPad. You have to have a cellular capable iPad to get the gps chip. The wifi only iPads lack the gps.
Correct, but if you only have wifi a BadElf external gps receiver will solve that problem. ~$150. I find Navionics very easy to use, $29/yr on ipad mini. If I did the ICW I would add Aquamaps.

I also store all manuals on the ipad, along with numerous weather and tide apps although looking out the window has beat most of the apps to date.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #14
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Have navionics on my IPad. Love it. Usually use a different cartography on the boats screens. And when particularly nervous Open on the laptop. The iPad also would mirror the MFD when you wanted. You just have the wrong iPad as others have said. Both our IPads live inside life proof cases so no problem taking them outside.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:18 AM   #15

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: CLASSEA
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
IPAD & Navionics?

MV CLASSEA uses iPads (3, 2 with GPS built-in, 1 without) exclusively today for all App’s (weather, Navionics, AquaMaps, manuals, AIS, Nebo, etc.) . . . As you have determined from this forum it is loaded with great feedback and preferences, these work for me, using the 2 with GPS for Navigation, the remaining one with more storage for backup and data storage. Each helm station, flybridge and salon have Garmin Chart Plotters (12” on the FB and 9” in the Salon) all tied into NEMA 2000.

I think a primary preference of the Samsung tablet is it’s ability to store (supposedly) more than 100 waypoints, not having one of those I can’t vouch for that feature, I can’t keep up with the day of the week, so the capacity of waypoints that the iPad’s store (what ever it is) is fine with me![ATTACH]121816[/ATTACHClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7522.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	121819
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7523.jpg  
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Columbia
Vessel Name: Ginger
Vessel Model: Camano 31
I also use an iPad. Another option is to hook up a YachtDevices WiFi broadcaster if you have another chartplotter. I have (2) Garmin 541s that came with the boat, which are dated, but are a good backup inside and on fly bridge. The GPS from those units, as well as other N2K data are broadcast on the WiFi, so the ipad can pick it up.
GingerMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #17
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I have used IPads with Navionics on board for years (probably over 10?), and am very happy with their performance. As stated, the only ones with built in GPS are the ones that are "Cellular" capable, but you DO NOT NEED to have a cellular plan (I never did). We found them to be very accurate (the odd, occasional error however). I never used the "Auto Route" function, but a person could as long as they carefully checked the route for potential "problems" before use or at minimum checked carefully "as you go". We always paid attention "as we went" even in often travelled waters.

We also had a Vesper 8000 AIS on board that created it's own Wifi network that the IPads could access. The Vesper had it's own GPS antenna, and this allowed a "non-Cellular" capable IPad to be used for navigation (if desired - I had an IPad mini (3rd IPad) like that and it worked with the Vesper). This setup also displayed the AIS targets on the IPads, and any other data from other network connected devices.
Our 2002 Tug had original Raymarine electronics that still functioned well. However, I used the Plotter as basically a backup (due mainly to screen size and dated charts), and used a laptop running Rosepoint Coastal Explorer and 2 "Cellular" IPads for everyday navigation. Counting the individual GPS receivers in the IPads, I had a total of 5 GPS antennas and devices, so lots of redundancy (barring a total failure of the GPS system). (GPS receivers/antennas: Raymarine, Vesper, GPS puck for laptop - but it could easily connect to Vesper or the Puck, and the IPads (2))

We found that Navionics on these IPads was very reliable and easy to use. If memory serves, you can now access Active Captain info on Navionics as well. If not, there is an App for that if desired.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #18
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
All Samsungs have GPS as, I think, all androids do. It's only the Apple products that cheap out on including a GPS receiver.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
We have used a Bad Elf gps puck for a few years with Aquamap software on a 10.5” iPad. Works fine. Never had an issue with losing satellites etc.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #20
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Attachment 121808

Ted
Did the same, a terrific choice. We have two and run Aquamaps on one, Navionics on the other plus the MFD.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote