Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Joe Pica's Avatar
 
City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Currently a Rosborough 246 was GH N-37
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 124
Yes it is a lifestyle decision. Also depends if the boat will be A full fme live aboard. I highly suggest you attend the AGLCA rendezvous where you can look at the greatest number and diverse collection of currently looping boats anywhere and talk with the owners. I've done 3 loops and cruised most of the entire the western rivers. I was in a very capable, easy to handle, single handed, ergonomically friendly, crazy amount of storage and a stand up walkin engine room. She was a comfortable 37' slow boat (a Great Harbour N-37) with many toys. Twin inverters, 750 amp bank of LFP04 batteries, generator and AC household appliances that were easy to get fixed anywhere. For us the was a great solution that fit our intended use and lifestyle. We used her to cruise over 40,000 miles and sold her to a nice couple who are continuing to cruise her and just finished their 1st loop. Most boats can do the loop in capable hands however to what perceived comfort is a personal (couple's) decision. Recognize that you are getting older and may not be as agile as when young. Is important to look at the your choice with that in consideration. The not sexy fundamentals, e.g. getting on and off the boat at many different styles and types of docks and moorings. getting into and out the dinghy (with a dog, groceries?), ease of access to decks for docks and locks when handling lines without shore assistance. these are acts that occur regularly but are oft overlooked when considering a boat choice.

Good Luck as lot's to consider that will facilitate your cruising destination choices and not encumber them.
__________________
Advertisement

Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #42
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,362
FWIW, I agree with many: genset and inverter can both be useful.

When we ran south late last year and early this year... air temps were sometimes down in the 20s... so genset and reverse cycle heating running while underway was a good thing.

And the inverter means quiet morning coffee (coffee maker), afternoon popcorn (microwave), interior TV or stereo, and the electric adjustable recliners work, too, without having to start the generator.

We made do without an inverter for... oh... 20 years or so of boating life... but it only took me about the first year to recognize why we wanted one.

-Chris
__________________

__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #43
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker75 View Post
markajh, Thanks for your reply, the suggestion that for electronics, a pure sine wave inverter would be required, and for the link to the "all about inverters" webpage. To be clear, my question was never about using an inverter to fun a generator, but rather whether an inverter (to run low-power-consumption electrical devices (e.g., microwave, coffee maker, CPAC machine, etc.) when not connected to shore power and without having to run the generator would be necessary.

The consensus seems to be that both a generator (diesel or portable gas-powered) AND inverter are highly desirable, if not required for long-term cruising that includes nights "on the hook" (as opposed to "at the dock").

Of course, the house bank must be sized appropriately to support the expected power draw from the inverter and not go below 75% during the night until the batteries can be recharged the following day by the generator or the engine while underway.
Boilermaker,

I could STRONGLY argue against a portable gas generator... for many reasons, safety, convenience, etc for starters.

Question: If you are currently shopping for a Loop boat, you'll find the vast majority will have a generator built in. If it doesn't, subtract the cost of getting one from your offer. Selling a boat without a genny will be significantly harder to sell.

There are very few folks that do the loop without a genny.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #44
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pica View Post
Yes it is a lifestyle decision. Also depends if the boat will be A full fme live aboard. I highly suggest you attend the AGLCA rendezvous where you can look at the greatest number and diverse collection of currently looping boats anywhere and talk with the owners. I've done 3 loops and cruised most of the entire the western rivers. I was in a very capable, easy to handle, single handed, ergonomically friendly, crazy amount of storage and a stand up walkin engine room. She was a comfortable 37' slow boat (a Great Harbour N-37) with many toys. Twin inverters, 750 amp bank of LFP04 batteries, generator and AC household appliances that were easy to get fixed anywhere. For us the was a great solution that fit our intended use and lifestyle. We used her to cruise over 40,000 miles and sold her to a nice couple who are continuing to cruise her and just finished their 1st loop. Most boats can do the loop in capable hands however to what perceived comfort is a personal (couple's) decision. Recognize that you are getting older and may not be as agile as when young. Is important to look at the your choice with that in consideration. The not sexy fundamentals, e.g. getting on and off the boat at many different styles and types of docks and moorings. getting into and out the dinghy (with a dog, groceries?), ease of access to decks for docks and locks when handling lines without shore assistance. these are acts that occur regularly but are oft overlooked when considering a boat choice.

Good Luck as lot's to consider that will facilitate your cruising destination choices and not encumber them.
Joe,

Spot on.... GREAT POST with a lot of good info.

We did not know you sold the N-37... a great boat. What did you get?
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #45
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,364
"interior TV or stereo"

Are all available in a variety of sizes , complexity and quality from the RV folks in 12V.

The 12v RV TV tuners seem to do a far better job of working with a booster to get distant stations, than the house 120v units which seem best at being fed cable or dish.

Disc players ,antennas and boosters in 12v , off the shelf and built robust for vehicles and pot holes.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #46
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"interior TV or stereo"

Are all available in a variety of sizes , complexity and quality from the RV folks in 12V.

The 12v RV TV tuners seem to do a far better job of working with a booster to get distant stations, than the house 120v units which seem best at being fed cable or dish.

Disc players ,antennas and boosters in 12v , off the shelf and built robust for vehicles and pot holes.
Yeah, but when the boat comes loaded with AC stuff... swapping each component (or at least function) at 12V seemed to be too much trouble for too little gain. Inverter was a faster solution.

In our case, we were focused on the morning coffee and the afternoon popcorn, anyway, not the stereo stuff since we don't use it all that much. (TV news and weather is useful, though.) The breaking point was when we replaced the sleep sofa with electric adjustable recliners. THAT really drove the immediately-thereafter inverter install.

FWIW, I can't imagine a 12V TV tuner being any be tter or worse than an AC tuner just because of the power supply. Some tuners are probably better than others, without regard to AC or DC, but tuning and reception aren't functions of TV power supply.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #47
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,364
"The breaking point was when we replaced the sleep sofa with electric adjustable recliners. THAT really drove the immediately-thereafter inverter install."

Zero clearance recliners and couches too are at your favorite RV store.

All fight the comfort in limited space battle.

"but tuning and reception aren't functions of TV power supply."

No,, they are part of the design specs the mfg is willing to pay to produce.

The reception requirements set by the customer base.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #48
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"The breaking point was when we replaced the sleep sofa with electric adjustable recliners. THAT really drove the immediately-thereafter inverter install."

Zero clearance recliners and couches too are at your favorite RV store.

All fight the comfort in limited space battle.

"but tuning and reception aren't functions of TV power supply."

No,, they are part of the design specs the mfg is willing to pay to produce.

The reception requirements set by the customer base.
Yep; although our "zero-clearance" (so labeled) recliners aren't exactly zero clearance. Good enough, though. Delivered and set up on board direct from our local Laz-Y-Boy store.

True, ref tuning design specs, but I haven't seen any of that make much of a difference between AC- and DC-powered models. Mostly it's about the antenna, amplified or not, and relationship (mostly distance) between receiver and transmitter. Haven't tested much, of course, but the TVs we've worked with on board would all resolve the same stations when using the same antenna. Anyway, my only point was that we found the inverter -- installed for other reasons (coffee, popcorn, chairs) -- to be a fast/easy solution to interior entertainment/... even though not a high priority for us and especially not a usual "while underway" thing.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #49
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yep; although our "zero-clearance" (so labeled) recliners aren't exactly zero clearance. Good enough, though. Delivered and set up on board direct from our local Laz-Y-Boy store.



-Chris
Claim 3", more like 6". 3" is only with no one in it, no weight.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #50
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,811
Reading all the replies posted here I am amazed at some of the stuff people put on their boats.

The only thing that seems to be missing is an electrical bottle opener, assuming such a thing exists.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #51
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Reading all the replies posted here I am amazed at some of the stuff people put on their boats.

The only thing that seems to be missing is an electrical bottle opener, assuming such a thing exists.
Andy, some of us are full-time live aboards. Many others spend a LOT of time cruising. As such, many want all the comforts of home. My goodness, we even have a domed pizza oven (propane) we use at least once a week. Make our own dough from scratch. We started our Great Loop last May from Annapolis with 50# of Italian flour on board. So, yes, there is virtually nothing we can't do aboard that we can do in a dirt home. Dish TV too.

Thanksgiving found us quietly anchored on the Tensas River for two days. We roasted a turkey breast and had all else that goes with a T-Day meal including a freshly-made pie. Watched parades and football on the tube. We missed family but it was one of the nicest T-Days we have had.

Lots of folks will tell you that you can "get along" without this or that and they would not be wrong. But why go without if you must not? Or, do not want.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #52
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Reading all the replies posted here I am amazed at some of the stuff people put on their boats.

The only thing that seems to be missing is an electrical bottle opener, assuming such a thing exists.
Got one at home but not on the boat...yet!

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Cordles.../dp/B003YFI0O6

__________________
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #53
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Reading all the replies posted here I am amazed at some of the stuff people put on their boats.

The only thing that seems to be missing is an electrical bottle opener, assuming such a thing exists.
Wifey B: No, but we have these great silicone bottle openers for lids you can't get loose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Easi Twist.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	84018
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #54
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Reading all the replies posted here I am amazed at some of the stuff people put on their boats.

The only thing that seems to be missing is an electrical bottle opener, assuming such a thing exists.
I was thinking the same thing, Andy. I'm feeling very poorly equipped with my 150 watt invertor and no generator.
I guess I lead a different life. I ordered my bean bag chairs without the electric recline function because we occasionally use them floating in the water.

Solar panels supply all the electricity I need. I only plug into the dock power to use the vacuum cleaner. The A/C charger is very rarely used and my batteries never drop below 80% charged.

Without the need for cooling, AC power isn't really required.
In hot/humid climates it would be a totally different story.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #55
Veteran Member
 
City: Houston
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Reading all the replies posted here I am amazed at some of the stuff people put on their boats.

The only thing that seems to be missing is an electrical bottle opener, assuming such a thing exists.
Dang Andy now you went and ruined it for me - THAT was the only electrical thing I had space left for on my boat.

Todd
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
bgillroy's Avatar
 
City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 258
9kw NL Genset and Magnum 2800 inv charger and 1100ah house runs it all for us with power to spare. Makes life aboard dream.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 416
I setup my genset to be very quiet and just run that SOB anytime i'm away from the dock(yes while underway almost all the time).

To be fair I don't spend too much time on the hook but most of my must haves(AC/fridge/etc) would require too much AH worth of batteries to offset the weight/cost. I'm also not a nomad and use my boat as more of a weekender so that'll play a role too(always have a slip to return to).

To each their own and I understand the want for silence and I partake occasionally but Genset outweighs any inverter setup for me.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #58
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I setup my genset to be very quiet and just run that SOB anytime i'm away from the dock(yes while underway almost all the time).

To be fair I don't spend too much time on the hook but most of my must haves(AC/fridge/etc) would require too much AH worth of batteries to offset the weight/cost. I'm also not a nomad and use my boat as more of a weekender so that'll play a role too(always have a slip to return to).

To each their own and I understand the want for silence and I partake occasionally but Genset outweighs any inverter setup for me.
If you're an infrequent cruiser that doesn't stray far from home, that's a very viable model. For someone doing the Loop (the OP's original question), that could equate to between 5,000 and 8,000 generator hours in one year. With that kind of anticipated use, a second generator would seem almost a requirement.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #59
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47 Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 882
About how much does an inverter cost and how difficult is the installation.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #60
Guru
 
ssobol's Avatar
 
City: Leesburg, VA
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
.... My goodness, we even have a domed pizza oven (propane) we use at least once a week. Make our own dough from scratch. We started our Great Loop last May from Annapolis with 50# of Italian flour on board. So, yes, there is virtually nothing we can't do aboard that we can do in a dirt home. Dish TV too.

...
It wouldn't occur to me to make pizza from scratch at home, let alone on my boat.

Don't care for popcorn either.
__________________

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
agl, america's great loop, generator, inverter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×