internet photo storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best to keep local copies of pics.
Postimage let's you freely post pics into forums as does onedrive. I have my phone setup to auto upload pics and video to onedrive and Google photos

Google also allows bulk downloads of all your content. I have done that sometimes. You select entire catagories and Google puts everything into a zip file. So theory is you will never lose access to your files.

Google stops being free very quickly if you have a lot of high)-res files.

And cuts people off very quickly in the event of identity theft or hacking, tons of people have been locked out for months, or even lost all their data.

Again, no online service should be primary storage for anything important. That really is important for everyone to understand and accept

Even if you pay a lot per month, but especially for low cost services, forget about "free".

Google stops being free very quickly if you have a lot of high)-res files.

And cuts people off very quickly in the event of identity theft or hacking, tons of people have been locked out for months, or even lost all their data.

Again, no online service should be primary storage for anything important. That really is important for everyone to understand and accept

Even if you pay a lot per month, but especially for low cost services, forget about "free".

This ^. A good lesson for life in general. Be self-reliant. Don’t live in the “white” zone.

“Situational awareness”. Best to live in the yellow zone. You had to be there! Sorry for the derailment. Carry on, folks!

“Situational awareness”. Best to live in the yellow zone. You had to be there! Sorry for the derailment. Carry on, folks!

Wifey B: Yellow zone vs. White zone....sounds like yellow snow and no thanks. :eek:

Aside from the need to keep copies of your stuff somewhere other than the "cloud", I really have a problem granting essentially unlimited rights to my photos to some (any) service company. Not that my photos are any prized items, but they are mine, and I'd like to retain control over them. I don't want Service Company B selling my pictures or whatever, and that's exactly what you are letting them do.

Not to mention running them through a facial recognition AI and mapping out all your IRL relationships, building out your social networks against datestamps and geolocation data.

I would add that most post-processing software these days makes it easy to add a watermark. You may put the (c) before your name or just your name. That does make it very hard for anyone to use your property commercially without your consent. If they do so by removing your watermark then they would be in a world of hurt. (If you were even made aware).

See below.

Attachments

• BaldEagle.jpg
    BaldEagle.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 35
I would add that most post-processing software these days makes it easy to add a watermark. You may put the (c) before your name or just your name. That does make it very hard for anyone to use your property commercially without your consent. If they do so by removing your watermark then they would be in a world of hurt. (If you were even made aware).

See below.

I don't think it matters. You still hold the Copyright, but you have granted them essentially unlimited rights. So they can display, sell, create derivative works, etc. to their heart's content. They could start a stock photo service and license out any photo anyone wants to pay to use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom