Old 05-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #41

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Shoot, was wishful thinking it may have improved in recent years. Probably also why the area is so pristine and not cluttered with cell towers. We also have TMobile and I will look into Telus for coverage.

Thanks for the quick response!

w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #42
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I was last up there two summers ago. We have Verizon and once you round Sarah Pt. you can count on not having any usable bandwidth. Now, occasionally I could get internet service in Prideaux Haven and somtimes in Roscoe bay on a high tide, but nothing that you would want to count on for reliable internet service. I don't know if that has changed, but I seriously doubt it.

Dave: I think itís better than that now. But, Iíd be looking into getting a Simcard from Telus (the main provider in BC). That might be preferable to Verizon, but others might chime in. We had no trouble with reception in Squirrel Cove, not sure about Prideaux Haven, but Octopus Island might be problematic.

Jim

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #43
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Prideaux yes. There is Rogers and Telus on the Okeover peninsula. Up Toba? No way!

Next tower north is Telus up by Sonora.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #44
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Prideaux, maybe, if propagation is good and you aren't depending on much bandwidth. Toba no way. Also most of the marinas up there are on limited bandwidth services so you can't depend on them either. This was last October.
DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #45
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Bandwidth is going to be the issue. There are lots of places (not just in the PNW, but around the world) where the cell coverage is perfectly adequate for phone calls and text messages, but completely inadequate for high-bandwidth streaming or internet connections. I have only taken a couple of online courses, but they required good bandwidth and a high-speed connection. From the responses you're getting, it doesn't sound like this is going to work well for your son.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but better to go into it with realistic expectations.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #46
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Last July I was trying to get a good cell signal in Waddington Channel, by stopping in the dinghy every mile or so as I headed south towards Desorlation Sound. by the time I got to Roscoe, but on the east side of Waddington, I had a reliable signal. From there I was within sight of the Sarah Point Telus tower. I drifted around Marlebone so the tower went out of view during a call and the signal failed. I have had a good solid signal for years in Tenedos Bay, but dependent upon stay out of the closed in coves. Rogers is generally not as strong as Telus in that area.

Check out the Telus coverage map: https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility...=content_panel
It shows far better coverage now than ever before, so you may be a lot better off this year than my experience last and previous years.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #47

These are excellent feedback, I appreciate it! I am heading to Vancouver this weekend and will see about getting a Telus sim card. He may not be able to stream his online class but if we get strong bandwidth at Refuge it may be a daily trip to do his class. Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #48
Guru

The best bandwidth in the area is opposite Sonora resort, at the north end of the Yucultas. I think the Sonora Resort must have convinced Telus to put in a tower. You could hang out in Big Bay and do quite well there.

https://sonoraresort.com
Old 05-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
The best bandwidth in the area is opposite Sonora resort, at the north end of the Yucultas. I think the Sonora Resort must have convinced Telus to put in a tower. You could hang out in Big Bay and do quite well there.
Is there anchorage in Big Bay? Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #50
Guru

Iím not sure what Big Bay is like as an anchorage, but there is some dock space. Not sure, as we are usually just passing through.

Check Anne Vipondís book.

Jim