Intermittent ACR Spotlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

Looking for troubleshooting for a ACR RCL-100D spotlight, common on Mainships and perhaps many other boats.

The light doesn't come on except for a very few times. Everything else works, motors, tilt and sideways, so, it's getting power and seems like both Xenon bulbs work.

Could both bulbs burn out at once, and both have one more short burst of light?

Could there be some internal, loose wire, etc?

Anyone know how to get into this light? Took the face lens off, and removed all the screws I could see underneath and the reflectors and their support did not budge.

Help?

Check the switch, then the fuse then the grounds. Without a photo I have no idea how to take it apart but clean and grease all the contacts and look for automotive wire and crimps, if present its probably corroded. Is there a relay? Contacts there too. Break a leg.

Xsbank has some good suggestions.
Even though the motor works the light control may not. THe rotation action could break a wire so the insulation holds it together but it makes contact intermittent.

Check the switch, then the fuse then the grounds. Without a photo I have no idea how to take it apart but clean and grease all the contacts and look for automotive wire and crimps, if present its probably corroded. Is there a relay? Contacts there too. Break a leg.

Thx, great ideas. Will check for a relay and get a picture. Hopefully I'll get some advise on how to take it apart.

Go to the ACR website & download the troubleshooting guide. Very simple to follow. Almost certainly, the “brushes”or the circular contacts for the light are corroded. Sometimes, just repeated rotation of the light -fully Port to fully STbd. Will clean them sufficiently. If not, disassemble the light by removing the screws on the undersurface of the housing- may require a right angle drive or right angle Phillips #2 screwdriver.

Go to the ACR website & download the troubleshooting guide. Very simple to follow. Almost certainly, the “brushes”or the circular contacts for the light are corroded. Sometimes, just repeated rotation of the light -fully Port to fully STbd. Will clean them sufficiently. If not, disassemble the light by removing the screws on the undersurface of the housing- may require a right angle drive or right angle Phillips #2 screwdriver.

Found it, thanks! Thats exactly what I wanted. Hope it's only the brushes, that would be easy.

Now a related question.....

Many have just abandon their spotlights because of the cost and the availability of such great handhelds... cheap.

However, it's nice to have an external light controlled from inside, especially in bad weather. And it's nice to have the light high up.

Are there any manually controlled spotlights available?

Yes to manually controlled spots but usually the require either the light be directly above where you are standing or like a police cruiser one though a windshield pillar.

There may be others but have never seen one.

Also, for years ....ACR had trouble with their remote pads cracking and not working or worse intermittently. If you know everything in the light works and you clean the rings...it may be a control pad....especially if the pad is over 10 years old.

Back
Top Bottom