Interesting work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
I took a team out today that has been testing soil around dredge spoil areas in NJ. Maybe widespread dredging of NJ ICW in the future?

The tracked vehicle in the boat is outfitted with a cone probe to sample soil characteristics around the spoil areas.

As far as many here guessing about stability and ballasting.....well I cant guess either and would love to leave it to the pros...but sometimes they aren't always around when you need them. In front of the tracked vehicle...the team also brought a 4 wheeler that was loded in front of the tracked one. Boy..for a vessel already nose down...it got really exciting with the 4 wheeler.

Last picture shows 2 danforth anchors set to prevent crawling on and off vessel from being pushed away.

I noted 2 things often discussed....one was catenary...the side loaded ine maintained catenary even with 15G20 knots winds on about 6 feet of chain and short rode. had it been off the bow...I doubt even this 6000 pound, 30 foot craft would have lifted the chain off the bottom...not so with just nylon rode....so a little weight goes a long way in catenary.

The other issue with danforths and look-a-likes...if they fail to dig deep quickly the force tends to trip them rather than bury them....I was constantly hand setting these anchors even after 6 inches of fluke were jammed into mud or the marsh grass. So remember Danforth and look-a-like users....slow and make sure the tips bury deep before any significant pull...otherwise they can trip in anything but soft bottoms....

Thus my love hate relationship with the best holding but most finiky to set anchors I have ever used.

Attachments

• 20160610_061505_resized.jpg
    20160610_061505_resized.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 20160610_063503_resized.jpg
    20160610_063503_resized.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 170
  • 20160610_082211_resized.jpg
    20160610_082211_resized.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 102
  • 20160610_104720_resized.jpg
    20160610_104720_resized.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Hard to believe that vehicle made it across that mud.

Is it any/still fun to be on the water when you are working?

Driving/living aboard boats 365 has its moments...the good tends to outweigh the bad. :thumb:

Wish I had the cash flow to pay for a 30 knot boat...some years driving to FL at 6 knots just gets to you.

May have to buy an RV just for the occasional...get away before you burn out ordeal....:eek:

Then again...I quit my 24/7/8 month assistance towing job...so things may brighten up on all horizons. :D

Today's work was cool, even though except for loading and unloading the vehicles which is a bit of pucker factor, the other 9 hours was just sitting and reading Joshua Slocum's "Sailing Alone Around the World". Was a picture perfect day...sun, low humidity, no bugs.....but a tad windy at times gusting above 20 in an open boat.

Plus the tracked vehicle did get bogged down once off the boat...but with the atv and the winch on the tracked vehicle plus anchor...it made it to the grass.

Last edited:
Excellent work day story...

I could tell you about how I sat in a cubicle for 9.5 hours and stared at a PC monitor... or maybe not.

Best,

Carl

Had several offers to be a defense contractor in Wash, DC when I retired.....

Figured I would either have a heart attack with the commute and deadline pressure or would wind up in prison for road rage. :D

Being a commercial captain has had its rewards tenfold.

See....don't use the word anchor in the thread title and it can go overnight without a firestorm of discussion....:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom