Old 05-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #1

City: Laytonville, CA
Interesting Trawler

This is certainly interesting and one you don't see every day, and with an Isuzu engine. I currently have 11 diesel engines in various pieces of equipment, from the 6.0 Powerstroke in the F 350 to a two cylinder air cooled Deutz in an Accutrac trail building crawler, and the Isuzu's are my favorites. Why are they not more common in marine applications?
47' Force 10 Sedan Trawler
Attached Thumbnails
Force10Trawler.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Where's the trawler?

I see an old cruiser built long before the word trawler existed.

Re the Isuzu I think Isuzu is/was focused much more on the industrial part of industry and markets. Thev'e done poorly in the automotive world but built airplanes and even in this country do well in heavy equipment.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I like it. Would be a comfy way of touring the area without worrying when and if you are going to spring a plank.

Wouldn't want to pay moorage for her. And my kayaks and dinghies all over the place would ruin her lines.

So I'm out.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Spiffy! Sure is a looker.....love the lines....but 47' X 12' and 18,000 lbs.? That seems awful light. The single prop needs a skeg.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
Isuzu actually played a big role in the development of GM's 6.6L Duramax, a home run as far as engines go for GM. Don't think it's been marinized yet.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I recall the PMM article; owned by a very artistic lady or couple I think. As mentioned it is a replica, built recently (1990s?) on a fiberglass hull. Isuzu marine diesels by Klassen are well regarded on the west coast.
Whether it could be called a trawler or not I wouldn't know, but the vessel certainly fits the lifestyles of the folks on Trawler Forum.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Spiffy! Sure is a looker.....love the lines....but 47' X 12' and 18,000 lbs.? That seems awful light. The single prop needs a skeg.
Larry we're just used to the specs of heavy plastic boats. Wood boats are stronger, lighter or (to a lesser extent) both. But on 2nd thought long narrow (high aspect ratio) boats may be most of the reason you look at this boat as light. Other than moorage costs long narrow and light is good.

I'm 74 and if I was having a custom boat built for me it would be wood.
If I was 34 I'd opt for FG or aluminum.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
It isn't a wood hull. It is FRP. But it isn't nearly as bulky as a typical 47 footer. Volumetrically it is ~2.5 times my boat and ~ 2.5 times the mass.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
These are a fiberglass (I think foam cored) hull with laminated wood deck and house. They definitely weigh more than 18,000 pounds, I would guess somewhere between 25 and 32,000 at full load. There are 3 or 4 of them, all a bit different, but all float a bit bow down. A really nice bright liveaboard interior.

Vic Klassen is the reason for the popularity of Isuzu marine engines in BC and more recently in Seattle. Also they are very good equipment that used to be available at reasonable cost.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
It looks like a replica of the old Elco cruisers. It's different not for me...
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
These are a fiberglass (I think foam cored) hull with laminated wood deck and house. They definitely weigh more than 18,000 pounds, I would guess somewhere between 25 and 32,000 at full load. There are 3 or 4 of them, all a bit different, but all float a bit bow down. A really nice bright liveaboard interior.

Vic Klassen is the reason for the popularity of Isuzu marine engines in BC and more recently in Seattle. Also they are very good equipment that used to be available at reasonable cost.
I definitely agree with the upper weight estimate. When my low profile 48x14 foot SD was built the builder estimated for initial publication 27,000lb. Last week one+ years latter on the scales it weighed in at 34,000+ lbs. We have heavy JD 6068 twins and wood composite build.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0014.jpg  
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
She's a real head turner and with a bridge clearance that would make for a great loop boat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Where's the trawler?

I see an old cruiser built long before the word trawler existed.
1981 build year...I think we were using trawler-talk back then, right?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Guru

TAD wrote;
"Vic Klassen is the reason for the popularity of Isuzu marine engines in BC and more recently in Seattle. Also they are very good equipment that used to be available at reasonable cost"

The store in Seattle is no more. Went there a few days ago and found that Hatton had bought all their inventory and employed all or most of their help including Dave and Jim Schiller.

I recognized their "very good equipment that used to be available at reasonable cost" and repowered my Willard w a Mitsu engine w their traditional steel exhaust manifold. I assume you're saying Hatton's prices aren't the old "reasonable cost" prices.

FlyWright,
How can it be a trawler when it's a replica of a style of boat that was called a cruiser before trawlers came into existence?

Old 05-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
TAD wrote;
"Vic Klassen is the reason for the popularity of Isuzu marine engines in BC and more recently in Seattle. Also they are very good equipment that used to be available at reasonable cost"

T
I recognized their "very good equipment that used to be available at reasonable cost" and repowered my Willard w a Mitsu engine w their traditional steel exhaust manifold. I assume you're saying Hatton's prices aren't the old "reasonable cost" prices.

FlyWright,
How can it be a trawler when it's a replica of a style of boat that was called a cruiser before trawlers came into existence?
Well the problem is that the term trawler has very little specific meaning since the marketing and sales people kidnapped it to sell other unrelated types. This should be no surprise since the term was rather hazy and imprecise to start with and kidnapped from a particular type of fishing boat activity. I recently read in a well circulated boating magazine article the authers explanation of what he felt a trawler is. Basically any boat you would be happy to spend time on. I am not kidding. Of course the magazine has clients who advertise their pseudo trawlers. So if boats with planning hulls and IPS drives with cruising speeds aimed at the mid 20s and higher are called trawlers why not a good old fashioned cruising motor boat. My boat is not a trawler in my opinion but does often travel at a pace befitting the vague old school concept of a trawler. Maybe this form has to change its name to the every boat forum?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #16
FF
Guru

Back in the 70.s a company named STARRET (S?) marinized the 121ci -4 cylinder , but dis a super budget job.

The flex plate was undersized, the exhaust manifold / heat exchanger was poor and the wiring frequently was screwed up.

Really nice engine , with pre heater combustion so it would start/operate in winter easily.

For 30-40 HP a car marinization would work fine with better parts selected.

#####

Cruiser is a far better term than >high speed trawler< , an oxymoron.

The advert folks think Trawler sounds better (( greener) than motoryacht
FF is offline   Reply With Quote