Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #1

City: Victoria B.C.
Interesting small trawlers

Many guys like small trawlers, 25-40 feet or so. Turns out a lot of them are made by those clever Norwegians. They're usually aluminum, and apparently very well designed, real tough to ply artic waters around Norway and Iceland. Of course proper heating, including heated windows, and some even the main deck. Well appointed interiors, etc. A lot to like about these Scandinavian beauties.

Attached Thumbnails
R (8).jpg   FB_IMG_1642988039727.jpg   11434884.jpg  
Old 01-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: West coast
They are rather interesting. Doesn’t appear the easiest to get on or off, or tie dock lines. Does that one painted red have indented steps up the hull?
Old 01-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #3

They all have deep drafts. In some close up pics, Ive seen various types of gates, etc. Also, some guy in another group says he's seen guys who have converted them to liveaboards, put in watertight hatches on the stern, just above sea level, for extra access, swimming, etc. Even using those for dinghies.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
IMO, in the video it looks like it is about to fall on its face.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:26 PM   #5

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Looks hopelessly inefficient as well.
There has to be a legal or tax advantage in the shorter LOA in that region.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:31 PM   #6
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Huh? those are "rule beaters" stretched beam fish boats designed because they have been exclude because of length in paticular fisheries.

I assure you, the designer would discourage anyone taking these boats as built for yacht conversions.. They need weight
Old 01-24-2022, 10:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
EU coastal fishing boats are limited by definition to a LOA of 12m.

Norway is not a member of the EU, and they limit thier fleet LOA to <11m.

That why the colourful ads show 10.99m length.

This way it encourages boatbuilding in Norway to service their own fleet.

Clever. But not in the way the OP proposes.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:31 PM   #8
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Would Love to view this rig like:
Now that would be a hoot!
Old 01-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Building "rule beating" boats is a common game world wide.

In NYC many dinner cruise boats have the rudder 25 or 30% of the LWL forward of the stern.

The coasties measure from bow to rudder post to size the boat, so captains with smaller licenses can be employed cheaper on the "smaller" boat.

For awhile boatyards would "lay down a keel" on spec.,so they could beat the air police Tier whatever rules for that next hull.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Would Love to view this rig like:
Now that would be a hoot!
Please try againg...video didnt open.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:36 AM   #11

Guys, we know there are all sorts of crazy gov regs on boats. Yet these, and the wide boats in Alaskan waters, actually manage to moror about . And apparently those clever Norwegians figured out how to make them safe. In other groyps, naval architects have trstified that thae can be, and are converted to long distance cruiser, and we have seen examples of such. My OP points out these new ones people have told me about. Would you rather be in one of these tough, artic proofed boats when you round the horn, or your 30' plastic boat?
Old 01-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Didcot UK
Vessel Name: Jarrow Lily
Vessel Model: Island Packet SP Cruiser
They are not leisure boats. When they return to the fish dock to unload there will be hands to take the lines. Ditto on/off, steps available.
The design, while being weatherproof and warm, leaves a lot to be desired for leisure use.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrow Lily View Post
They are not leisure boats. When they return to the fish dock to unload there will be hands to take the lines. Ditto on/off, steps available.
The design, while being weatherproof and warm, leaves a lot to be desired for leisure use.
Neither were all the other sorts of workboays that have been converted to liveaboard cruisers. And they are already well appointed re the cabins, galleys, etc. Would you rather round the horn, do the northwest passage in one of these, or the flimsy plastic boats so many people have?
Old 01-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #14

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
Neither were all the other sorts of workboays that have been converted to liveaboard cruisers. And they are already well appointed re the cabins, galleys, etc. Would you rather round the horn, do the northwest passage in one of these, or the flimsy plastic boats so many people have?
I certainly would not "round the horn, do the northwest passage" in the very low aspect ratio commercial near coastal trawler depicted in the OP. I'll chose a properly designed for the mission GRP boat over the 'mini' trawler...no question.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:46 AM   #15
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Quote:
if those are the choices, neither one. granted, those fishing rigs are built to use in the north sea, but i bet they watch the weather pretty closely. and i've been in some pretty tough water in alaska, i don't think those would have a comfortable ride when things get sloppy.
and fuel efficient? i doubt it judging by the size of the gear.
i think there would be lot of better choices for an expedition type vessel.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #16
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Aren't Florida Coasters kinda doing the same thing?
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2022, 12:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
if those are the choices, neither one. granted, those fishing rigs are built to use in the north sea, but i bet they watch the weather pretty closely. and i've been in some pretty tough water in alaska, i don't think those would have a comfortable ride when things get sloppy.
and fuel efficient? i doubt it judging by the size of the gear.
i think there would be lot of better choices for an expedition type vessel.
So you admit they were buit for the north sea and Icelandic waters, but you cant decide if you 'd rather round the horn with one, as opposed to a flimsy plastic boat? How about in alaska, as compared to the Fred Wahl 'famous 58s'...2:1 ratio? And nobody mentioned fuel efficiency, but they wouldnt take much at 5kts.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
Aren't Florida Coasters kinda doing the same thing?
Yes....and no....the name "Florida Coaster" says a lot. Not for rounding distant capes.

Even the designer discusses the basic hull shape designed for relatively protected waters but the beam does help with initial stability. There's another hull design that has a wide relatively shallow draft hull with small twin engines that's become popular...but I never heard of one of those owners discuss rounding the horn.

Having been there several times...not sure I want to do the "Horn" in any "boat"... just rather large ships. But as been said...much better a solid, capable plastic boat than a rule beating fishboat.

Why is fishing one of the most dangerous professions? One reason is captains often ignore the weather limitations of their boats and never return.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yes....and no....the name "Florida Coaster" says a lot. Not for rounding distant capes.

Even the designer discusses the basic hull shape designed for relatively protected waters but the beam does help with initial stability. There's another hull design that has a wide relatively shallow draft hull with small twin engines that's become popular...but I never heard of one of those owners discuss rounding the horn.

Having been there several times...not sure I want to do the "Horn" in any "boat"... just rather large ships. But as been said...much better a solid, capable plastic boat than a rule beating fishboat.

Why is fishing one of the most dangerous professions? One reason is captains often ignore the weather limitations of their boats and never return.
Designed for North Sea, Baltic Sea, north atlantic, up to Spitzbergen, etc. Heavily strenghtened, heavily insulated, heated windows, some even heated decks, etc.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:59 PM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Designed for North Sea, Baltic Sea, north atlantic, up to Spitzbergen, etc. Heavily strenghtened, heavily insulated, heated windows, some even heated decks, etc.
Kinda like saying boats out of New Jersey, USA are familiar with the North Atlantic.

Just because they operate there doesnt mean they can operate there safely or comfortably in all weathers.

Did you see my oist on commercial fishermen Nd kniw how many I had to search for and never found? Or even just how many I had to help save?....all from boats suited for their fishing grounds but not necessarily THAT day?
Closed Thread