Interesting small trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you missed posts talking about they can modify fuel capacities. Its common for builders to explicity advetsie that. '40-65' say, boats can easily get 2000nm.range. Hybrids get more fuel savings in the first place, we also want a kite sail for long trips. All off the shelf stuff already.

If you get to the point where you are seriously considering electric (or hybrid), I can tell you, from experience, that you should reduce any range on electric claimed by the manufacturers by about 30-40% for decision making purposes. I can say this from some experience. Typically, the manufacturers make their claims based on tests performed under unrealistically optimal conditions:
- No wind
- No current
- No waves
- No swell

- Optimal paint/epoxy on the bottom for least friction
- No fouling on the bottom

- Optimally sized propeller (for electric...which might not be optimal if you have a hybrid, as the propeller choice on a hybrid can be a compromise).

- One person on board
- Mostly "dry" boat.
- Mostly empty boat (i.e. not stocked with 1,500+ pounds of accessories, gear, food, etc. one would have for long range cruising.)
- New batteries with 100% SoH.

- No inverter on and drawing current for house purposes or for recharging other (i.e. miscellaneous 12v batteries)

- Optimal speed (WOT on electric will knock your batteries flat significantly faster than if you run, say, half-speed. You will get longer range by running slower. Google on "Peukert effect". Most discussion on this is focused on Lead acid batteries, but I can tell you, I experience it to a certain extent with Lithium.

Thread closed to new posts.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread in an informed and insightful manner. Several posts have been removed for being inflammatory, and violating the "Be Nice rule".

As it is apparent that this thread has run it's course, it has been closed to any further posts. It will however remain available in the archives for members to peruse at their convenience. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have questions about our forum rules you can review those here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom