Interesting near collision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of mega yachts and others will anchor at the mouth of an anchoring bay. Sometimes for security reasons, other times for privacy, and lastly because they just don’t fit. They are not dolts but rather prudent. I find it helpful to know where they are as I leave the sea and enter the bay. Sure no reason for it in a mooring field or in a slip. But just like the black ball makes perfect sense in other settings.

Notice, I said at dock, not at anchor. Those who leave AIS on while on the hard, certainly are dolts.

If every craft had an AIS transceiver just imagine the number of targets that would be appearing on our screens.

I could argue that AIS is not necessarily the best device for avoidance, especially close in, and certainly in the case of this near collision. Too slow, especially the Class B ones. It's great in places where you can't see, like rivers or around hills. But radar is better in open water.

However, just open ones eyes and LOOK.

Kayaks (especially green and blue ones) and other small stealthy vessels are easy to overlook and are a good source of possible collision. Never known one equipped with radio, radar, or AIS. Hate it when a kayaker rides my wake three feet of my beam in my blind spot.

Mark,

Totally agree, kayaks can be easy to hit. And, as an avid kayaker, there's an argument to avoid boat activity. Cross in no wake zones, and in a group, hug the shore and be very cautious around docks.

But some of us DO carry VHFs... at least the crowd I hang with. Have 2 of them.

Yes kayaks have moved along. Mine (hobie 360 pro fisher) comes set up for fish finder. Easy to put on gps. Like Steve says many have some form of personal locator beacon on their vest when in salt water and a VHF. But accept you can’t fix stupid. Many go to Dick’s or an Outlet store. Find the cheapest one they can find and off they go to annoy PS. Paddling in active harbors, channels and near docks. Like PWC still think their use should be banned in certain areas. PWCs are banned by local ordinance in many of our local ponds. Think this should be extended to some salt areas as well.
My bad. Missed “dock”.

Although radar gives you intercepts and velocity it doesn’t give ships information. Often in nearshore that’s very helpful as you can infer future behavior. In open water we often get AIS well before we get radar. Guess that depends on your set up and antennas but hear the same thing from others. Like both. Do different things with different technology.

Amazing how much boating reliance is now given to so much time viewing "screens"... of one type or another.

Looking up, out and around... in a basically parallel plane with boat deck... does wonders. Often looking temporally downward to nearby water surface is also a really good idea... guess why.

In mid to latter 20th century large amount of boat cruising safety was accomplished by the "eye" being used to "look" outward.

On the chart table: Paper chart lines and projected compass readings were [back then] used to plan for soon upcoming "navigation". Knowing boat speed at specific rpm in coordination with time-progression on a watch or clock were used to determine arrival at points of symbol and maybe course changes. Lo and behold we'd arrive to where we planned to arrive.

Last edited:
This thread reminds my of the Energizer Bunny. It jus keeps going and going and going .........

This thread reminds my of the Energizer Bunny. It jus keeps going and going and going .........

To put the premise of this thread is as simple as possible a term.

"How to safely stay out of each others way"... on the water!

Art loving your posts. A funny story.
Took one of my practice partners to Maine. Was napping when I heard waves breaking on shore. I shot up looked around. Put the boat off AP. He screamed at me “why did you do that I was fine chart plotter says we’re nowhere near shore”. Screen hypnosis in a person who spends much time looking at screens at work. Foggy day. He didn’t have the radar on. Couldn’t smell land (not in his head to do so) and didn’t recognize the sound of swells hitting the rocks. In retrospect don’t know why the gps was off. ? Something coming out of Bath and the signal was degraded.? The device? although it was working fine for the rest of the cruise?
Good Lord gave you five senses. Use them.

Certain things only come with experience and the desire to learn.

Thats why so many boaters get into trouble...its just one of their part time hobbies.

I guess I was lucky enough to turn a hobby into a profession (or two) then turn it back into a hobby.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom