Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, sure.

LOL perhaps 10 years ago his spouse told him to sell the boat soooo, he priced at $400K knowing full well, no one would buy it at that price?
"But honey, I am trying.....":D:hide:

Saw this posted in another thread. Appears to be a sweet,sweet conversion, and that price :) Especially like the control station at the stern. Can’t imagine she’ll last long unless there is significant work needed. No genny but doesn’t need one. 120hp Gardner.

https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/used-boats-for-sale/PW4920/wood-trawler-yacht.asp

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

Saw this posted in another thread. Appears to be a sweet,sweet conversion, and that price :) Especially like the control station at the stern. Can’t imagine she’ll last long unless there is significant work needed. No genny but doesn’t need one. 120hp Gardner.

https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/used-boats-for-sale/PW4920/wood-trawler-yacht.asp

View attachment 114438

View attachment 114439

She's been on the market for several years now. She used to show up in just about every one of my yachtworld searches. I always stopped to take a look. She looks great on the outside, but the interior was a little too workboat for me. I also wasn't prepared to be as dedicated as I needed to be to do a wooden boat justice. I do hope she finds a nice home, though.

6l3b is a rare one - they are an 18 litre variant producing 172 hp @ 1150rpm vs the more common 6lxb @ 10.45 litre, 127hp @ 1500rpm

Spares would be a issue I would think and that would scare me off to a degree.

Last edited:
6l3b is a rare one - they are an 18 litre variant producing 172 hp @ 1150rpm vs the more common 6lxb @ 10.45 litre, 127hp @ 1500rpm

Spares would be a issue I would think and that would scare me off to a degree.

I had a boat with twin 8L3B Gardners, same engine just two more cylinders. I was able to find what I needed, mostly ordered from UK. Lower RPM with individual cylinder heads and decompression levers. Great engines.

Gardners and COR-TEN steel

Our pluses are others’ minuses. After doing due diligence (albeit too slowly apparently, lol) on a recently sold passagemaker with a 8 cylinder Gardner, I would have no issue with one myself, but plenty people would.

Alaskaflyer, this talk about Gardners is making me nervous!

What I liked was the lines of the vessel, the Gardner, and that it was made from Corten steel...that stuff only develops an extremely thin layer of surface rust, right?

Murray, COR-TEN Steel is wasted on a boat. You are correct in that, like pure aluminum, it develops a protective oxidation layer that protects it from further rusting, HOWEVER, the science behind COR-TEN (registered trademark for US Steel) (generic name is "Weathering Steel"),the science requires a wetting and drying action, not constantly wet, not immersed in water (especially SALT water), and built in such a way as to eliminate any "pooling" of water. When the above is adhered to, and if in a NON-SALT AIR environment, COR-TEN will pretty much last indefinitely. You see it a lot on railroad bridges inland. The rail lines don't have to sandblast to remove paint, then repaint in order to inspect. If it IS blasted in many locals they don't have to collect the sanding media, because it's just sand and iron oxide, no toxic paints involved.

So bottom line, if a salt environment or if constantly immersed, or wetted, it will act just like bare mild steel. If painted, it will act just like normal painted steel.

If you are Covid bored, or just want more information on it, I've attached a study done on COR-TEN in South Africa in 2010, which is one of the best references out there on the material.

P.S. We have been doing Metal Sculptures out of COR-TEN for over 10 years now, and it is a really cool material to work with!

Where do you sleep?

I saw no bed or stateroom

Pics aren’t great. Has an aft cabin with two singles, and a typical v-berth setup in the bow.

I wouldn’t use it as a liveaboard lol.

Interesting info on that particular Gardner model.

Last edited:
Hi there slowgoesit,

Thanks for the info...but your link wasn't there.

Kasten claims that it has a 40% yield strength increase over regular mild steel...would that not be a benefit? He also says it has to be sandblasted and painted just like regular steel, but recommends it in 'smaller steel vessels' because of its greater strength:

Metal Boats For Blue Water - Kasten Marine Design

Alaskaflyer, this talk about Gardners is making me nervous!

Murray, COR-TEN Steel is wasted on a boat. You are correct in that, like pure aluminum, it develops a protective oxidation layer that protects it from further rusting, HOWEVER, the science behind COR-TEN (registered trademark for US Steel) (generic name is "Weathering Steel"),the science requires a wetting and drying action, not constantly wet, not immersed in water (especially SALT water), and built in such a way as to eliminate any "pooling" of water. When the above is adhered to, and if in a NON-SALT AIR environment, COR-TEN will pretty much last indefinitely. You see it a lot on railroad bridges inland. The rail lines don't have to sandblast to remove paint, then repaint in order to inspect. If it IS blasted in many locals they don't have to collect the sanding media, because it's just sand and iron oxide, no toxic paints involved.

So bottom line, if a salt environment or if constantly immersed, or wetted, it will act just like bare mild steel. If painted, it will act just like normal painted steel.

If you are Covid bored, or just want more information on it, I've attached a study done on COR-TEN in South Africa in 2010, which is one of the best references out there on the material.

P.S. We have been doing Metal Sculptures out of COR-TEN for over 10 years now, and it is a really cool material to work with!

Cor-ten steel should not be on a boat. At least if it is unprotected.

They built the Omni stadium with corten steel and expected it to last 50 years, and within 10 years, the panels were rusting through...

Shipping containers are made with cor-ten steel but painted, and they last a while, even with salt spray.

But they are not let to "make an oxide layer" to protect the remaining metal. Any abrasion would make it rust again, so running water would accelerate the process.

I had a boat with twin 8L3B Gardners, same engine just two more cylinders. I was able to find what I needed, mostly ordered from UK. Lower RPM with individual cylinder heads and decompression levers. Great engines.

Don't get me wrong I love a Gardner
But I love easily sourced parts as well.

Getting them from a handful of places on the other other side of the planet does not sound like easily sourced parts to me.

I have visions of being stuck in the back of Indonesia with a Gardner issue, no one having heard of one let alone seen or worked on one but an 855 Cummins or some other common bit of mining HP, easy.
But, maybe I worry to much.

Last edited:
Hi there slowgoesit,

Thanks for the info...but your link wasn't there.

Kasten claims that it has a 40% yield strength increase over regular mild steel...would that not be a benefit? He also says it has to be sandblasted and painted just like regular steel, but recommends it in 'smaller steel vessels' because of its greater strength:

Metal Boats For Blue Water - Kasten Marine Design

Weird, I tried again, and TF said that my file size exceeded the limits for this type of doc, a word doc, at 120kb. . . . .so I saved as a pdf, same size and it attached! Let me know if you have trouble opening it.

Per above, they discovered it really wasn't suited for rail cars either, and ended up painting all of them, but the worst fiasco is the Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, which is rusting away . . . :nonono: On strength, it IS a high strength alloy, but I wasn't aware A588 COR-TEN was 40% stronger than mild steel!

Here's a pic of what WE do with COR-TEN! Life size, enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 30
  • CORTEN STEEL Atmospheric Corrosion Resistant.pdf
    179.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Actually looks like it would serve better as a motorboat conversion rather than a half-ass’d square rig which sails with its Cat running continuously.

Needs a pilot house of course. And what’s with all that woody-teaky-looking stuff on the deck???

Don't get me wrong I love a Gardner
But I love easily sourced parts as well.

Getting them from a handful of places on the other other side of the planet does not sound like easily sourced parts to me.

I have visions of being stuck in the back of Indonesia with a Gardner issue, no one having heard of one let alone seen or worked on one but an 855 Cummins or some other common bit of mining HP, easy.
But, maybe I worry to much.

Actually Indonesia is where I was. But I hear you. I thought there was a bit of stock and expertise in your neck of the woods but maybe no longer...

I ran that boat throughout Thailand, Burma (Myanmar), Indonesia and PNG. Good times...

Based at of Bali for quite a while.

Greetings,
Mr. s. Awww...The Easter rabbit and it's bunny....

Here's last Christmas pic. We dress them up for all the holidays!
Also Unicorn:

Attachments

• IMG_5691.jpg
    IMG_5691.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 36
Actually Indonesia is where I was. But I hear you. I thought there was a bit of stock and expertise in your neck of the woods but maybe no longer...

I ran that boat throughout Thailand, Burma (Myanmar), Indonesia and PNG. Good times...

Based at of Bali for quite a while.

Oh there is.......in Brisbane, 1000+ miles away in a different country to Indo.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1969/american-marine-alaskan-3797133/

Holy cow.
- A 1969 American Marine Alaskan 46 woodie
- Repowered with twin 88hp electric motors
- Charged by a John Deer genset. No visible solar
- One stateroom.

What is the market size for this vessel? I want to have a beer with the owners & hear their story!
I bet just the electric conversion was more than the asking price. Puzzling project for sure, perhaps the owner was/is an EE and was bored?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1969/american-marine-alaskan-3797133/

Holy cow.
- A 1969 American Marine Alaskan 46 woodie
- Repowered with twin 88hp electric motors
- Charged by a John Deer genset. No visible solar
- One stateroom.

What is the market size for this vessel? I want to have a beer with the owners & hear their story!

I didn't see nmpg stats?? I miss something. With only 125 hours on both motors - current owner not too pleased? Also, having 5 fuel tanks at 150 gal ea... 750 gals gives what range [of course leaving a 20% fuel buffer]?

Back
Top Bottom